"Legendary" Black Lion Set [Merged]

"Glorified black lion set" is pretty much what I said when I saw it myself. Kinda puts a bit of a damper on enthusiasm for the free precursor - generally speaking, promoting the precursor to the legendary is still the hardest (or, at least, most expensive) part. While I'll reserve judgement entirely until I see the entire set, it's looking like it'd be a case of... well, maybe I'll use it to substitute for one of the weapons where I don't really like either of the current skins?

I can see the value in having themed sets, but that's pretty much what the Black Lion sets already do. Legendaries are... well, this is the third generation in nearly a decade. Sets tend to mean that you either like the set or you don't, which is fine with something like the black lion sets where if you don't like one there'll be another a few months later that will be more to your liking, but you'd have to be pretty optimistic to think that there'll be a fourth legendary generation any sooner than 2023 (smart money would be on it taking much longer). So if you don't like the set, you basically miss out until then, and I really doubt that the token will be applicable to any hypothetical future generation.

There's also a degree to which I was looking forward to seeing some Canthan-themed legendaries, and this pretty much commits them to all being Aurene-themed. While it's not impossible that there'll be a fourth generation with some Canthan themes, I don't see it being likely to come before the fourth expansion. 

Well, at least now I know I won't be doubling up by starting to build up towards Exordium - I'm pretty sure that was the greatsword they showed, and I'm not looking at it and thinking that it's better than Exordium.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Roland: "This sword's got the power to revive the dead. Might come in handy. Here, take my sword gun."

Torgue: "OH MAN! But what if the sword you shoot EXPLODES! And then turns into three smaller swords ... WHICH THEN EXPLODE?! It would be like a SWORDSPLOSION! Tina, make Roland's gun do the things I just said!"

Tina: "'Kay."

- Borderlands 2 , Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

This actually makes it better. Gen 1 and Gen 2 have their own unique designs per weapon, now Gen 3 breaks that mould with matching sets so that players can aesthetically match their weapons rather than having mismatched pieces, especially for One-Hand and Off-Hand weapons

This is what those black lion tickets are for. This is what collections are for. Legendaries should be unique and legendary to a specific thing. The echovald forest and it’s master and back in guild wars 1 make the Luzon trident or something a legendary. Something that 

1. Gives value to the place you are at. (I.W. Cantha, pod, etc) 

2. Gives each weapon uniqueness and background.

3. Have a mystique and wonder (like what was its purpose or something - like Balthazar’s candle as I call it) , or Chuka, discovering it’s story. 

this is just sloppy and okay all the same vibes, it’s just a run of the mill. Nothing important. Named after our dragon buddy we helped raised. I dunno. Feels very bad and lazy IMO. 

Edited by Kameko.8314
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Substance E.4852 said:

They've been working on this for 2 years and killed IBS to get it done, but okay

Hell I would wait 2 years for them to come out with the set. Because…

1. You have gen 1 / gen 2 for utility - this game has become skin wars now with the armory anyway. So if they want a set put it in blc or tickets.

2. You get hyped as something new comes out. We want something fresh, and can be part of the current time of where we are in events. I.E. we go to the jade sea - then we get a trident from guild wars 1 or something that was “legendary” in its time. 

with armory they Need to make things more uniquely skinned I feel, because then you can make it… and if you REALLY want to match weapons, buy a set, Re-skin it, and get your set. Legendaries have been demoted to rare loot with this IMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

To each her own, indeed.  I like the Shiny Disco Ball stick.  < dodges heavy objects thrown at my head >

oh my that one's the ugliest 😛 but respect for crafting it! hahah

About the Aurene set, I'll wait to see the animations... since they share a theme the animations should more thna make up for it lol, and if I'm not mistaken Chelsea also did Exordium? so yeah, not all hope is lost yet...

• Like 1

I believe by now you should all understand, that there are no designs that are universally liked (in any field).

I, for example only have 2 legendary weapons, not because I don't have the gold, but because I disliked the skins and could not justify the effort/gold for just the utility of them.  Same applies for that awful (in my aesthetic) legendary armor.

I much prefer the Aurene weapons, they fit my story and RP, they match more with Aurora & Vision and now I finally have a chance to craft the weapons I missed.

Each on their own, if you don't like them move on, just as people moved away from gen1 & 2 that didn't like. It is not a hard concept to wrap your heads around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I find Aurene visually repulsive. When her adult form was revealed I likened it to a child drawing a rainbow dragon and saying "daddy I want THIS in the game!" I find her difficult to look at for any period of time. Her adolescent form of the blue was much more appealing than the rainbow vomit she currently is.

To find out that gen 3 is going to share her look - across the board what's more - is disappointing to say the least. Personally, considering we already have 2 legendary weapon sets available, I would be more than happy to wait the needed time for a proper gen 3 legendary set to become available, even if it is piecemeal like gen 2 was.

However, considering the armory and the removed transmutation charges to change legendary item skins, I'm not completely opposed to it being implemented, as we will be able to cover that ghastly skin for free. I know EoD was supposed to break boundaries or whatever the terminology they used on the livestream was, but the legendary sets were the only sets in the game to not look the same, and I liked that. I liked that some pieces were hit or miss. I liked the variety and the randomness of it. To have that completely removed and to give them all the same personality is disappointing.

I only hope that this is a holdover "legendary" set (legendary in utility and rarity only) pushed for EoD release, and that there will be/is a proper set in the works.

I know others might not feel the same, but that's my two cents.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

I'll build one that I need (underwater perhaps?) and then immediately transmute it to something better looking.

The aurene set has 16 weapons. 19 would include underwater legendaries - thus the aurene set won't have UW legs. Your UW choice is gen 1 or nothing.

• Like 1

If it's cheap and easy to make, I'll get one and reskin it. The functionality is the most important part. I won't pass that down!

Rifles and pistols have thankfully have had cool technology based weapons for the engineer. I was hoping that they would give us some technology weapons for our elite spec weapons, as those weapons are usually the most important to the engineer. It's good that we've accumulated so many skins over the years that I have my options! There is also the possibility of the Aetherblades returning and bringing new weapons in for people like me!

Professions, such as the revenant, will be happy with this theme! I think people who enjoy glowing crystal armor will be satisfied! However, it could easily be a negative experience for these people as well. The only non-legendaries that might match these specific legendaries are Zenith weapons. The other legendaries seem to have a little more wiggle room, unless they are one of the silly weapons. I hope that the precursors match and are colored like their upgrades, otherwise people will need to grind out 2 to 4 legendaries for a matching set.

• Like 1

For me, this looks more like a Black Lion weapon with Legendary tendencies.  I was hoping and expected each Legendary to actually be unique.  That is what is so awesome and cool about Legendaries!  Don't get me wrong, the Aurene skins look beautiful, but a whole set that looks similar to me is not what these weapons are all about.  I do realize that it takes a lot of time and effort to design these weapons and develop the collection around them.  However, Legendaries should be singularly special and unique in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

If it's cheap and easy to make, I'll get one and reskin it. The functionality is the most important part. I won't pass that down!

If it is, it destroys half the reason to craft Gen1 and Gen2 legendaries and devalues them. 
Here is my two cents.
I'm very disappointed by this same-theme design for the whole set. It looks lazy, plain, cheap. Legendaries are supposed to be unique, both in concept and in story behind them. Otherwise, it's just another bl set but somehow for much more gold. 
The only way I can tolerate this set, is if they release Gen4 UNIQUE and PROPER legendaries later (so be it one by one, I don't care). The one we're getting now isn't even worth be called legendary. It's just a black lion set with drawing animation, aura and footfalls. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laivine.9308 said:

I believe by now you should all understand, that there are no designs that are universally liked (in any field).

I, for example only have 2 legendary weapons, not because I don't have the gold, but because I disliked the skins and could not justify the effort/gold for just the utility of them.  Same applies for that awful (in my aesthetic) legendary armor.

I much prefer the Aurene weapons, they fit my story and RP, they match more with Aurora & Vision and now I finally have a chance to craft the weapons I missed.

Each on their own, if you don't like them move on, just as people moved away from gen1 & 2 that didn't like. It is not a hard concept to wrap your heads around. 

The fact that no design is universally liked is the reason it's pretty silly to have a single theme. You found 2 weapons you wanted to make because they were all individual and still you only found 2 you liked out of all those choices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kameko.8314 said:

This is what those black lion tickets are for. This is what collections are for. Legendaries should be unique and legendary to a specific thing. The echovald forest and it’s master and back in guild wars 1 make the Luzon trident or something a legendary. Something that 

1. Gives value to the place you are at. (I.W. Cantha, pod, etc) 

2. Gives each weapon uniqueness and background.

3. Have a mystique and wonder (like what was its purpose or something - like Balthazar’s candle as I call it) , or Chuka, discovering it’s story. 

this is just sloppy and okay all the same vibes, it’s just a run of the mill. Nothing important. Named after our dragon buddy we helped raised. I dunno. Feels very bad and lazy IMO. 

It's almost as if design philosophies of any aspect of a game can change over time. They don't have to follow the exact same thing over and over again just because it was done before.

A Legendary design can be anything, heck it can be as basic as a simple iron sword (and I say that knowing some of the Legendary designs are absolutely basic). Slap on some particle effects and some random lore on an Iron Sword and boom, Legendary weapon. 

And besides, they never break any of the three points of a Legendary weapon aside from design. These Legendary weapons are meant to represent the entire journey from the moment we met Aurene all the way to present time, these are more in tune with the Commander's own personal Legend in comparison to the other Legendary weapons. The point is that these weapons are all the same design because they were made for the Commander as the Champion of Aurene, and the Commander can wield ANY weapon so Aurene's Legendary weapons form themselves to better suit the Commander's Profession. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I'm happy for a set.  I like matching stuff, so matching legendaries is a huge plus for me.  I don't mix weapon skins, which is why I collect entire sets if I want to use a few of the skins (just in case).  

I'm not sure how many players think the same way, preferring a cohesive set rather than random one-offs that don't match anything.  

But yeah, this subjective determination of aesthetics has no basis in fact.  We like what we like and dislike what we don't.  Nothing to do but shrug shoulders and move on.

Issue being:

1. The game already has plenty of weapon sets to meet the needs of players who want weapons to match.

2. Legendaries being unique is part of their appeal as mythical weapons with storied past. What's the lore section of the armory supposed to say about Gen 3? The same thing for every weapon? 

3. Committing to one aesthetic for the entire Gen means if you don't like it, then the entire Gen is uninteresting to you. That is an inherently worse way to present options to the players than offering variety. If Gen 3 legendaries were varied, not liking one weapon doesn't rule out the entire set.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laivine.9308 said:

From my perspective, the "there are no designs that are universally liked" effect is exactly why Legendaries shouldn't be a set that follows a theme.

This is our third generation in nearly a decade. We might have faster production going forward, but we might not.

It sounds like you're particularly picky (I'm curious what those two you like might be), but by offering a range of options, they've still managed to hit the mark for you twice. With 35 different swings at a player's interest, it's hard to miss every time.

When they all follow a theme... then that's only one swing. Apparently you like this set, so it's a hit for you... but imagine if it was a miss. You'd then be in a position of the entire generation being of little interest to you, and out of three generations there'd only be two Legendaries that you liked. Or, worse, let's imagine that they were releasing Legendaries as sets from the beginning. Now, there are some Legendaries that I could see being in a set together (Frostfang, Rodgort, and Bolt all share a 'draconic with an elemental effect' theme, for instance), so this doesn't necessarily mean that all of the currently existing Legendaries but two would disappear, but nevertheless, it does mean that if neither of the existing legendaries you actually like were part of the themes chosen to base an entire generation on, you might now have no legendaries that you actually like.

Having a broad spread of themes across a generation of legendaries means that any given player is still likely to find at least one or two in that generation they like. Having an entire generation share a single theme, though, makes it very much a case of "either you like the theme or you don't". If you're in the first category, you have a glut of options, while if you're in the second, you have nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I couldn't disagree more with those too lazy to find weapon skins that go well together, so they are actually happy about non-unique looking legendaries rather than reskinning the old legendaries (which is for free now nonetheless since the introduction of the Legendary Armory).

Totally beyond me how someone can consider shiny kitsch (that doesn't go well with anything and looks totally alien) worthy of the title "legendary."

So your opinion is that most of what makes a legendary a legendary (the footfalls, animations and auras) should always be disregarded by skinning over it so it matches with other weapons, instead of having legendaries always match.

3 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

but... you could have unique legendaries and then reskin them with gemstore/set skins if you want stuff to match.

personally, 3rd gen legendaries being all the same are a huge disppointment. 

Then you'd lose the legendary effects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1