"Legendary" Black Lion Set [Merged]

24 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Having a broad spread of themes across a generation of legendaries means that any given player is still likely to find at least one or two in that generation they like. Having an entire generation share a single theme, though, makes it very much a case of "either you like the theme or you don't". If you're in the first category, you have a glut of options, while if you're in the second, you have nothing. 

The problem with that is now you're facing players who might like a design, but hate the weapon it's available for or can't even remotely use it for the profession they use. Designing any weapon in any videogame is a double edged sword no matter the approach. 

The fact that they went with this approach for Gen 3 means that regardless of profession or weapon, for those who actually do like the crystalline design of Gen 3 Legendary weapons, they aren't restricted to playing a specific profession or a specific weapon just to get this design. There are plenty of players who enjoy these weapons (as far as I can see outside of the forums) and now they can get it without feeling like they have to be forced to play a specific weapon or profession.

And in case anyone uses the BL Chest excuse, I can literally say the same about any Generation of Legendary weapons. They all look like they could belong in the BL Chest, doesn't mean they should. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

If they created a way to make it one weapon that could be upgraded to have additional forms (weapon types) then the single appearance style would make sense.  That would synergize with the legendary armory and would create the ultimate uber weapon that can become any weapon type.  That would give people something big to occupy themselves for years.  You could set it up so that weapon swaps became weapon transformations, which could be kinda cool.

Edited by blp.3489
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

The problem with that is now you're facing players who might like a design, but hate the weapon it's available for or can't even remotely use it for the profession they use. Designing any weapon in any videogame is a double edged sword no matter the approach. 

The fact that they went with this approach for Gen 3 means that regardless of profession or weapon, for those who actually do like the crystalline design of Gen 3 Legendary weapons, they aren't restricted to playing a specific profession or a specific weapon just to get this design. There are plenty of players who enjoy these weapons (as far as I can see outside of the forums) and now they can get it without feeling like they have to be forced to play a specific weapon or profession.

And in case anyone uses the BL Chest excuse, I can literally say the same about any Generation of Legendary weapons. They all look like they could belong in the BL Chest, doesn't mean they should. 

The Black Lion weapon "excuse", however, demonstrates that there are plenty of weapon sets that all follow a common theme, and they release on a cadence of every few months rather than a generation every four years or so. That's where you have opportunities for weapons that can fit any profession. Furthermore...how many people who are at the point of getting legendary weapons really only have one profession that they ever play?

Here's my personal perspective: when the "free precursor" thing was announced, I was pretty excited - because at the time, I assumed that there would be at least one Gen3 precursor that I'd like.

Now, well... we've only seen one weapon, and with some BL sets there are some weapons I like in the set and some that I don't (see, the thing you're complaining about could happen even with sets to begin with!), so it's possible that despite not liking what I've seen so far, there might be something in there that I do like. However, I'm looking at the very real possibility that the "free precursor" token will be something that ends up just being unused in my storage (getting the precursor is often the easy part as it is now that it's no longer RNG-based), or it gets used purely for the functionality for a weapon type that I use, but don't like the existing examples of that weapon, thereby making it a cheaper way to get the functionality and then transmute to other skins than the gen 1 or gen 2 case. 

I'm sure that there are people who like the set... but that's the problem. Making it a set means that the third generation of legendaries in close to a decade of the game becomes something of a binary proposition. If you like the set, yeah, you've got a smorgasboard of choices. Don't like the set? You've got nothing. Already put effort into getting that precursor on the assumption that generation 3 would be like previous generations? Enjoy getting a glorified Ascended, I guess. Or enjoy putting hundreds of gold of resources into unlocking a skin that you don't like purely for the functionality... something that some of the people who like what's being done with generation 3 seem to regard as a cardinal sin, while not realising that they're condemning the people who don't like the set theme to do exactly that if they want to get value out of something they might have already spent two months working on.

If it's okay for anybody to have to make skins they don't like purely for the functionality, why can't they have a range of legendaries like with previous generations, and people who want the unified appearance can pick one of the dozens of existing sets in the game to transmute to?

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The Black Lion weapon "excuse", however, demonstrates that there are plenty of weapon sets that all follow a common theme, and they release on a cadence of every few months rather than a generation every four years or so. That's where you have opportunities for weapons that can fit any profession. Furthermore...how many people who are at the point of getting legendary weapons really only have one profession that they ever play?

Here's my personal perspective: when the "free precursor" thing was announced, I was pretty excited - because at the time, I assumed that there would be at least one Gen3 precursor that I'd like.

Now, well... we've only seen one weapon, and with some BL sets there are some weapons I like in the set and some that I don't (see, the thing you're complaining about could happen even with sets to begin with!), so it's possible that despite not liking what I've seen so far, there might be something in there that I do like. However, I'm looking at the very real possibility that the "free precursor" token will be something that ends up just being unused in my storage (getting the precursor is often the easy part as it is now that it's no longer RNG-based), or it gets used purely for the functionality for a weapon type that I use, but don't like the existing examples of that weapon, thereby making it a cheaper way to get the functionality and then transmute to other skins than the gen 1 or gen 2 case. 

I'm sure that there are people who like the set... but that's the problem. Making it a set means that the third generation of legendaries in close to a decade of the game becomes something of a binary proposition. If you like the set, yeah, you've got a smorgasboard of choices. Don't like the set? You've got nothing. Already put effort into getting that precursor on the assumption that generation 3 would be like previous generations? Enjoy getting a glorified Ascended, I guess. Or enjoy putting hundreds of gold of resources into unlocking a skin that you don't like purely for the functionality... something that some of the people who like what's being done with generation 3 seem to regard as a cardinal sin, while not realising that they're condemning the people who don't like the set theme to do exactly that if they want to get value out of something they might have already spent two months working on.

So you're essentially following the exact same mindset as the small minority of the community where just because you personally don't like these things, suddenly it's just outright a bad decision. Saying that because this is a set and if you happen to not like it you have nothing is an absolute exaggeration, there's absolutely plenty of things that you can get, Legendary or not. The unique design for each Legendary Weapon from Gen 1 and 2 is even worse if you want a specific design for a specific weapon, because if you like a weapon design that's only available for one absolute weapon and you don't like the weapon it's available for, then you truly have nothing because you can't get it for anything else.

Again, as I stated, it's a double edged sword no matter the approach. And yet again, as I stated, no one weapon truly deserves to be considered as "Legendary" because every weapon this game can be shoved in a BL Chest just as much as actual BL Chest weapons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

So you're essentially following the exact same mindset as the small minority of the community where just because you personally don't like these things, suddenly it's just outright a bad decision. Saying that because this is a set and if you happen to not like it you have nothing is an absolute exaggeration, there's absolutely plenty of things that you can get, Legendary or not. The unique design for each Legendary Weapon from Gen 1 and 2 is even worse if you want a specific design for a specific weapon, because if you like a weapon design that's only available for one absolute weapon and you don't like the weapon it's available for, then you truly have nothing because you can't get it for anything else.

Again, as I stated, it's a double edged sword no matter the approach. And yet again, as I stated, no one weapon truly deserves to be considered as "Legendary" because every weapon this game can be shoved in a BL Chest just as much as actual BL Chest weapons. 

I was showing that it goes both ways.

But here's the thing: Offering a range of possibilities maximises the chance that any given player will have at least one that they will like. Odds are, nobody will have an entire set from one generation either, but the odds of having at least one weapon you like from the generation is pretty high. Sure, it's possible that if someone only plays one profession, or a limited range of professions, or a limited range of builds, that the weapon they like from a generation will be one they can't practically use, but that requires being pretty picky both in terms of aesthetics and playstyles. I'm pretty sure that the number of people in that boat is much less than the people who get left out when the entire set follows a particular theme and they don't like that theme. 

The person I was responding to still managed to find two weapons they liked in the previous generations, after all.

And that's why it's a bit of a binary question. Previously, there was a pretty good chance that everyone will get at least one or two weapons per generation that they like and can use - some people might get more, some might get less, but the odds of someone missing out completely is pretty low. Now, you can miss out entirely purely due to aesthetic choice, because there IS only one aesthetic, while if you like that aesthetic, you have everything. Instead of most people having some weapons to choose from in a generation with few if any liking all of them, we have a situation where there'll be a significant fraction of the player base getting everything, and another fraction getting nothing. You argue that the gen3 system means that people don't have the risk of liking the aesthetic but not the specific weapon that it's on don't get left out like they might with gen1 and gen2, but the flipside of that is that if you don't like the aesthetic, you've got none that you're going to like and questions of whether the aesthetic you like is on a weapon you're going to use is a luxury you just don't have to begin with.

Seems like you're in the category that's getting everything, and you like that. I'm pretty sure that if the set had been a theme that you didn't like, though, you wouldn't be defending it so fiercely. Personally, I'd rather see a bit more equity than a field of haves and have-nots.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
Removed a redundancy.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

We have complaints about "more of the same" and complaints about "things should be the same." Anet can't win. 😐

Perhaps this will be a starter set for EoD and we'll see Canthan themed legendaries come during the Seasons that follow. Anet hasn't said, we don't know.

Well anet has done low effort for a while now so...  we were hoping for more effort? I think the weapons looke lovely but..... I think it s ok to give them feedback???

Edited by Saniyah.1984
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

I have really mixed feelings. ON the one hand, I see why players might think it's low-effort or budget given that the theme is the same on all.

On the other hand, I really don't like how random some of the legendaries are. At least we have crystal armor for S4 E6 that would probably match this really nicely. Like the legendaries in game, especially the weapons, don't seem to really fit any themes and are kind of tacky on their own/dont' always seem to fit any other gear.

That armor doesn;t really seem to fit the weapons. Which only underscores the problem - that there will be no gen3 legendary thematically/visually fitting for most players.

On the other hand, if they are going for the set feel (instead of just being cheap), they could introduce an open world legendary armor with the same aestethics to complete the package.

• Like 3

I need to wait until they reveal all skins. If they look like something that is really legendary, I am ok with them being all the same theme. Many skins of the 2nd generation don´t seem as legendary at all; they look as normal weapon that you can buy at TP. There are much more beautiful weapons in blc nowadays.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

I dont get it? These are dedicated to Aurene nothing is wrong with them, they look fine as legendary weapons. Are people seriously complaining about them matching? LOL? Just do what you do with those ugly leggo skins now, transmog over them. Personally matched sets are awesome, no more hunting around trying to match MH/OH. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

First of all thanks for having new sets of legendary weapon implimented to the new expansion. 

After having a little look of the lengendary weapon, i am a little dissapointed with all 16 leg weapons to be 1 theme, it looks more like black lion weapon sets or festival event weapon sets with a little more effects. Usually a legendary weapon has its own unique character and special effects. Im not so keen on making them but perhaps only 1.  Thats how I as one in a million players think. What about you? What do yoy wish to see from these aurene weapon? Eg any particular eg special footsteps .. special unique effect from weapon to weapon type?

So I saw a sneak peak of the new legendary weapon sets... they have an Aurene theme. I personally don't like the way they look, but I understand that liking/disliking aesthetics is subjective so we won't touch that.

What I WILL touch on is... why in the hell does the ENTIRE legendary set have a singular theme? These aren't legendary weapons, these are your Black Lion skins with additional effects and footfalls. What happened to each legendary weapon having its own unique flavor/aesthetic?

Yes, I can already foresee the arguments on the other side of the coin... about how you can now have your primary and secondary weapon sets with the same theme. Great, so now we can all design our wardrobes around the same aesthetic... we can have uniforms!

No, but seriously... having an entire legendary weapon set with the same aesthetic theme feels like anet is getting lazy, and just milking gw2 on its way out.

Edited by Instinct.7513
  • Like 4

Lazy copy/paste job to every wep type, assume gen 3 legendarys will be "discounted" versions to craft, going to assume its meant for casuals to enjoy as the aurene for all wep theme is kinda missing the point.  Each legendary of gen 1 and 2 is unique, we all love aurene but the gen 3 lost all motivation to make now.

• Like 1

More to the question why cant legendary sets as a tribute to aurene be a thing? Whats wrong with that? there will be more leggys in EoD for you to grind dont worry. personally i like the idea of a set of powerful weapons about aurene, also i like that my main hand and off hand will match. Instead of looking out of sync with the rest of the look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You can still have a full legendary set themed around Aurene, and maintain the uniqueness of each. You can have one based on each stage of Aurene's journey... when she was in HoT, in PoF, during her battle with Kralk, when she ate "that guy" (that'd be awesome theme for a necro staff).

You can get really creative with it, and I have no doubt the Anet crew is creative... which means they got lazy, or were mandated by the top brass to take the easy road for lowest effort and highest profit margin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

More to the question why cant legendary sets as a tribute to aurene be a thing? Whats wrong with that? there will be more leggys in EoD for you to grind dont worry. personally i like the idea of a set of powerful weapons about aurene, also i like that my main hand and off hand will match. Instead of looking out of sync with the rest of the look.

We already have the Weapons of the Scion from Dragonfall, extremely rare Ascended weapons with unique skins for our bond with Aurene. I think that should have been enough. Legendaries are a big time and gold investment so I enjoy getting a unique piece at the end of it, not a part of a set like a cheap Black Lion skin set.

• Like 2