"Legendary" Black Lion Set [Merged]

1 hour ago, Substance E.4852 said:

They stopped doing long, intricate, lore riddled quests for precursors very early in gen 2.

At this point, they're just fancy weapons with fancy effects, no more technically demanding than the average BLC / gem store weapon. Just look at gear like the vermilion tail feather. All that needed to be a legendary was the secondary cosmetic effect.

The only reason it still took them so long to create gen 2 after they stopped with the precursor quests was because they staggered their release to both prevent the material market from imploding like a neutron star and to give LW releases more impact and appeal

But they're designing assets for an expansion. Even then it took two years to get all the legendaries AFTER they stopped with the quests. In the meantime, if you think those artists aren't designing weapon sets and armor for the new expansion I'm not sure what to say. You can't design a legendary at the same time as designing a bunch of other stuff. New creatures, new weapons, new maps. Sure if you had a ton of time but my understanding is they weren't given much time.

Maybe some people would rather have more different varied legendaries a year from February. I'm not one of those people.

• Haha 1

I was very disappointed when I saw the new legendary weapons. Isn't the whole point of a legendary weapon is to be unique? 

And it's not like Anet aren't talented. They have created so many "legendary material" weapons that are just BL skins and I don't understand why? 
Take Shimmering Aurora weapons for example:
Add a purple & green glow, and a nothern lights effect as you run with starry footprints or something. I think MANY would love this kind legendary.
Another example is the Equinox weapons: 
They are just BL skins but could have had huge potential. Imagine your left side glows in white, the other in black, you shoot a flash alternating between white and black every other attack. 
Even Dark Matter skins could of been cool, be undead themed or something for the edgy look.

Was it a budget thing? Cause new BL skins come out every few months. Couldn't they put this work for GOOD legendries instead?

• Like 1

I was really looking forward to some Canthan themed weapons

That being said, the concept art for the staff has already sold me, and unless the implementation is faaaar different, that’s what my free precursor will be going towards. I like being Aurene’s champion, so not only are those legendaries enticing, but I am also finally getting around to acquiring all the pieces of the blossoming mist shard armor to go with it

Now if EOD just gives me a meaningful equivalent of the Ritualist, I’ll be happy as a clam

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:49 AM, Konjo.4981 said:

Mild? I see massive disappointment. Most of the big GW2 streamers said to be disappointed and on the forums about 85% of people are against them or said to be disappointed/underwhelmed. I would suggest Anet to undo this "Legendary Set" and turn it into a skin just like the Immortal Weapon Skins that are only available in some Black Lion packages to still make them feel special and rare.

To clarify, I was stating I would understand mild disappointment in that I would ONLY understand mild disappointment. I don't understand the "massive disappointment" that you are talking about.  And I think your suggestion is massively misunderstood by yourself in the amount of work it would take to "turn it into a skin just like the Immortal Weapon Skins" and then I assume you'd want a replacement Legendary Weapon collection of all unique skins? That would take an immense amount of time.

I'd rather they focus on getting these very good looking skins out (even if they're not my favorite theme) and then begin work on another set of 16 legendary weapons with all the same theme. Perhaps Dragon-Jade?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

When I read the announcement about replaying ls episodes to contribute to an achievement to get a precursor redeemable token I was like hooray that way I will pick the precursor of the unique legendary weapon I like.

Didn't expected a weird Aurene cult collection.

Aurene is all but not legendary. Then jormag is legendary? Zhaithan is legendary? Mordremoth maybe? Oh kralkatorrik? Nope, all the other dragons simply have black lion sets. Haha apart primordius that is a joke even about that with only basic, exotic weapons.

Anet invested TIME AND EFFORTS, introducing the legendary armory for which THEY CREATED LORES TEXTS for each legendary weapons, even TRINKLETS or RUNES. Them doing this very bland aurene set is bland, uninspired and lazy and not representative of what they are capable of. 

Generation one had ton of quests requiring you to do ton of actions and gathering around Tyria. The second generation was also interesting with its trial and errors, to get a pre precursor, a precursor then the legendary using shards.

Anet shouldn't do like IBS finale, they shouldn't rush everything. It is not because it is written legendary in the stream that they have to rush it. I prefer them apologizing, reporting Legendaries release to later, no issue waiting 1 additional year for them.

Those Aurene weapons are a black lion chest set, nothing more, nothing less.

They said they learned the lessons of the past, they haven't, if yes they would release a REAL legendary set later.

I bought EOD, but i don't want Anet to think I support those ugly legendaries but in fact, all the rest.

A legendary is as its name imply is about a legend , a heroic figure with a very important story or actions that lead to a revolution in Tyria, of anything, culture, killing a oppressor, memories of ancient magics....

Aurene is nothing of all of that.

Aurene just a dragon we found as an egg in maguuma wastes in the hands of a character that appeared from nowhere after crashing conveniently near the location we were at. It is just an egg that hatched in a golden ruin. A plot solver. That end any threats the most stupid ways. Aurene shines so much that I don't have eyes anymore, can't imagine more disco balls.

Of course you have the right to love that character. But that character isn't as legendary as almorra soulkeeper, jhavi or latanthir those are way far more worthy of aurene and having a weapon of their name.

We are going into cantha, don't tell me they can't have a legendary after the sea dragon, one after kurzicks, another one about luxons, about nagas, about juggernaut.... even about other dragons! It is END OF DRAGONS, can't you make a legendary weapon related to each elder dragon? 

Maybe to be more heroic we can use known figure like Shiro no? After cantha empress?

At this point I just hope they cancel the set.

I know what I will do with the precursor token, will throw it in the bin.

Pre purchase bugs annoy me, but that aurene set annoy me even more.

Legendaries shouldn't all follow the same set, it is the role of black lion sets.

The quality was low at the end of IBS, but with that it is even lower, will arrive at the center of the earth soon.

Maybe they invested more ressources to story, boats, fishing, turtles, characters. (I hope, because if not, it is the last expansion that I putchased). Legendary were definitely the thing to not ruin. 

If I was in Anet HQ I would be running, yelling at those "legendary" designers (must precise here, I'm not speaking of artist who modeled it in 3D in a software like Blender, but the original persons who got the idea of the legendary aurene set). Sad for a company that claimed year after year to have a " quality standard", there are none here.

And what is sadder is that they will ignore, like IBS finale, disrespectful, disgusting.

ANET it ISN'T TOO LATE. 6 months left, you have time to transfer aurene weapon to black lion set. And then work on real legendaries for us and deliver them later in 2022, after expansion launch.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I think the reason they did the Gen 3 Legendaries this way is because it'll be crucial to the story and because everyone plays different classes with different builds they had to make something that everyone can use. Imagine if you got a Greatsword but your character couldn't even equip one.

That said, I personally do not care for Aurene. I also do not care for shinning, glittery weapon designs. So I will simply use a transmuation charge on it and forget it entirely. (Unless for some crazy reason they forbid us from changing it's appearance in which case I will throw the disney princess weapon away.)

Personally I wish we had unique legendaries each with their own unique design/lore but these were the cards we were dealt.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I agree. This weapon set does not feel legendary or unique in any way. I haven't crafted any legendary  weapons but this set would not even make it into my list. I really hope they rework on unique skins as legendary weapons and make the aurene set just reward skins. 

What makes a weapon legendary is the fact that there is only one of that weapon out there- one weapon with the theme. However, having 16 weapons look the same is definitely not giving the legendary feel!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I assume that Anet would make more of Legendary sets, since the bulk of the work is on the Legendary Journey itself. I appreciate the effort to make the theme applicable all profession. I hope if Legendary sets minimize the work done on each weapon, Anet can produce more sets in the upcoming EoD updates.

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:55 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

I'm not disappointed because most of the Legendary skins are ridiculous looking to begin with. At least this set LOOKS like weapons and not fishbowls and such. 

This isn't even a counter-argument.  You can already do this with all the existing legendaries... just get matching BL skins (or even default skins) for your main-hand and off-hand and re-skin them.  You don't even need transmutation charges, it's free once you have the skins you want in your wardrobe.  Meanwhile, those of us who were excited about having new unique legendaries with some interesting lore, got basically nothing.  What I expected was a new set of unique weapons based on the lore of Cantha... what we got instead does not measure up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

This isn't even a counter-argument.  You can already do this with all the existing legendaries... just get matching BL skins (or even default skins) for your main-hand and off-hand and re-skin them.  You don't even need transmutation charges, it's free once you have the skins you want in your wardrobe.  Meanwhile, those of us who were excited about having new unique legendaries with some interesting lore, got basically nothing.  What I expected was a new set of unique weapons based on the lore of Cantha... what we got instead does not measure up.

Good luck arguing with Obtena.

Personally, wont have an issue if they are vastly cheaper to craft than previous generations, but i doubt they will be.

The person above you was right however. They have created amazing individual weapons for the Black Lion Company that could almost be considered legendary weapons, Flaming feather anyone? It even has a draw effect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Good luck arguing with Obtena.

Personally, wont have an issue if they are vastly cheaper to craft than previous generations, but i doubt they will be.

The person above you was right however. They have created amazing individual weapons for the Black Lion Company that could almost be considered legendary weapons, Flaming feather anyone? It even has a draw effect.

My issue with the Black Lion skins with draw/swing effects. They do -not- supress the profession swing color. Quite noticeable with necromancers, whom still have their green swirlie with any non legendary skins with a swing effect such as Volcanus or Fractal Greatsword which is -quite- an eyesore.

Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity for example properly supresses it.  Though Exordium does not.

Edited by LucianDK.8615

21 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

Of course you have the right to love that character. But that character isn't as legendary as almorra soulkeeper, jhavi or latanthir those are way far more worthy of aurene and having a weapon of their name.

We are going into cantha, don't tell me they can't have a legendary after the sea dragon, one after kurzicks, another one about luxons, about nagas, about juggernaut.... even about other dragons! It is END OF DRAGONS, can't you make a legendary weapon related to each elder dragon? 

Maybe to be more heroic we can use known figure like Shiro no? After cantha empress?

[...]

If I was in Anet HQ I would be running, yelling at those "legendary" designers.

1. I disagree on Aurene not being a legend. If not already, after what she has accomplished so far to keep the world from breaking apart, she certainly will be a legend at the End of Dragon. I get what you mean, though.

2. YES on the second and third paragraph I quoted. I want them to cancel it, too, and come up with something great like the Canthan themes you suggested. ❤️

3. It's not the designer's fault. She only designed what the devs told her to design. I am pretty certain that she didn't come up with the idea, they did. So it's unfair to scold her for it.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Oh I agree ... I wasn't making a counter-argument for anything. I just really have little vested in legendary items in this game, especially weapons when some many of their themes are so silly. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:38 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Seriously... 16 weapons that look the same? How is that different looks wise from a Black Lion Skin set?

And you try to put this on the level of things like Predator, Xiuquatl, The Shining Blade or Twilight....
edit: or Chuka and Chumpawat! Shooting Tigers is bad kitten!

Shining blade and it’s greatsword version also gave me black lion vibes already not gonna lie.

but creating a whole set of uniform weapons with glitter in them is a step further too far.

That’s yet another reason why I don’t think I will buy the expansion

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:29 PM, hugo.4705 said:

When I read the announcement about replaying ls episodes to contribute to an achievement to get a precursor redeemable token I was like hooray that way I will pick the precursor of the unique legendary weapon I like.

Didn't expected a weird Aurene cult collection.

Aurene is all but not legendary. Then jormag is legendary? Zhaithan is legendary? Mordremoth maybe? Oh kralkatorrik? Nope, all the other dragons simply have black lion sets. Haha apart primordius that is a joke even about that with only basic, exotic weapons.

Anet invested TIME AND EFFORTS, introducing the legendary armory for which THEY CREATED LORES TEXTS for each legendary weapons, even TRINKLETS or RUNES. Them doing this very bland aurene set is bland, uninspired and lazy and not representative of what they are capable of. 

Generation one had ton of quests requiring you to do ton of actions and gathering around Tyria. The second generation was also interesting with its trial and errors, to get a pre precursor, a precursor then the legendary using shards.

Anet shouldn't do like IBS finale, they shouldn't rush everything. It is not because it is written legendary in the stream that they have to rush it. I prefer them apologizing, reporting Legendaries release to later, no issue waiting 1 additional year for them.

Those Aurene weapons are a black lion chest set, nothing more, nothing less.

They said they learned the lessons of the past, they haven't, if yes they would release a REAL legendary set later.

I bought EOD, but i don't want Anet to think I support those ugly legendaries but in fact, all the rest.

A legendary is as its name imply is about a legend , a heroic figure with a very important story or actions that lead to a revolution in Tyria, of anything, culture, killing a oppressor, memories of ancient magics....

Aurene is nothing of all of that.

Aurene just a dragon we found as an egg in maguuma wastes in the hands of a character that appeared from nowhere after crashing conveniently near the location we were at. It is just an egg that hatched in a golden ruin. A plot solver. That end any threats the most stupid ways. Aurene shines so much that I don't have eyes anymore, can't imagine more disco balls.

I know what I will do with the precursor token, will throw it in the bin.

Pre purchase bugs annoy me, but that aurene set annoy me even more.

Legendaries shouldn't all follow the same set, it is the role of black lion sets.

The quality was low at the end of IBS, but with that it is even lower, will arrive at the center of the earth soon.

Maybe they invested more ressources to story, boats, fishing, turtles, characters. (I hope, because if not, it is the last expansion that I putchased). Legendary were definitely the thing to not ruin. 

If I was in Anet HQ I would be running, yelling at those "legendary" designers. Sad for a company that claimed year after year to have a " quality standard", there are none here.

And what is sadder is that they will ignore, like IBS finale, disrespectful, disgusting.

ANET it ISN'T TOO LATE. 6 months left, you have time to transfer aurene weapon to black lion set. And then work on real legendaries for us and deliver them later in 2022, after expansion launch.

Your solution would be the worst possible way to deal with the outrage. Its way easier and less selfdestructive to add more sets of both unique themed and set themed legendaries.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  2. It's not the designer's fault. She only designed what the devs told her to design. I am pretty certain that she didn't come up with the idea, they did. So it's unfair to scold her for it.

Mmh tell me where I blamed a single person in particular lol. You are twisting what I said.

I said that I would scream around the office because OFC i know there are other peoples that agreed on that idea of the set and told her to design them. (You teached me something, didn't even know that it was just one artist on it).

9 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Your solution would be the worst possible way to deal with the outrage. Its way easier and less selfdestructive to add more sets of both unique themed and set themed legendaries.

Hmm explain?

"you have time to transfer aurene weapon to black lion set. And then work on real legendaries for us and deliver them later in 2022, after expansion launch."

Feel like a correct way to deal with it to me, you don't waste any effort or time invested, it is "just" transferred from legendary item category to exotics. A real legendary set is then working on and then released when ready. I mean, if EOD is making explosive awesome start, they do now have the money to invest into a quality legendary canthan weapon set.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

The design of the new legendary set is lovely, and I really like it.  On the plus side, you can use matching legendaries to coordinate with your outfit, if that's your style.  

I think the detriment is that there are so many BL sets that are also 'flashy', more so than some of the legendaries, if you discount the draw & footstep animations, which dilutes the 'prestige' of this new legendary set.  I have to say, that just looking at the concept art that this set very much reminds me of BL weapon sets.

Overall, it's good for Anet to try something new in legendary design. Who knows? Maybe players will decide it's a good option alongside the existing gen 1 & 2 weapons.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Yours isnt even a counter argument , you can do the same thing you told him to do. Use a skin, because the stats are still there you just dont like the look, like he dont like the look of other legendary. These are all there at release because we havent hit cantha yet, once the story goes along im sure there will be cantha legendary. Stop crying already. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

Hmm explain?

"you have time to transfer aurene weapon to black lion set. And then work on real legendaries for us and deliver them later in 2022, after expansion launch."

Feel like a correct way to deal with it to me, you don't waste any effort or time invested, it is "just" transferred from legendary item category to exotics. A real legendary set is then working on and then released when ready. I mean, if EOD is making explosive awesome start, they do now have the money to invest into a quality legendary canthan weapon set.

It is a bad idea because you would kitten of the people who actually like this leg set, and you would break the promise about having the legendaries at release. BTW this is a real legendary set, even if you do not like the idea of it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

It is a bad idea because you would kitten of the people who actually like this leg set, and you would break the promise about having the legendaries at release. BTW this is a real legendary set, even if you do not like the idea of it.  

Nothing, they would still have the set. Don't see the issue. Maybe legendary for you and some other players but for many in this thread no, it isn't .

BTW if you are for this aurene set, you understood NOTHING of how gw2 work and its philosophy. Neither a full legendary set had the same appearance theme, it is the goal. And no it is not for the sake of change. They didn't had time and rushed the legendaries.

If they bothered by this lack of time, then they should report the launch to summer 2022.

It isn't a promise if the idea or concept or item they stand for isn't granted. If they deliver the aurene set at launch , it isn't a fullfilled promise either!

Again you have the right to like it. But it feels more like a regular weapon set and during the stream they put the word legendary for the sake of putting it.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

Nothing, they would still have the set.

No not really, they would go from ingame earnable sets to black lion set. losing part of the appeal in a possible journey.

And yes i know that you can technically earn black lion sets in game by farming gold, but that is not the same for lots of people as all the treads complaining about cosmetics in the gemstore say. 

Don't see the issue. Maybe legendary for you and some other players but for many in this thread no, it isn't .

It is pretty telling that you are assuming that i like the set. Personally it is not really for my taste. 

Have you actually wondered what the gains are from this approach? Spend the time to think why this was done in good faith? This also does not exclude "unique" legendaries for new expacs /lw btw.

BTW if you are for this aurene set, you understood NOTHING of how gw2 work and its philosophy. Neither a full legendary set had the same appearance theme, it is the goal. And no it is not for the sake of change. They didn't had time and rushed the legendaries.

This are just some assumptions on your part.

It is pretty obvious to me that this set was made on two solid principles.

1) The commander should "get" a weapon from aurene. And as such any weapon should be accessible in different weapontypes as different commanders have different preferences.

2) Weapons made by/for an elder dragon should have legendary status.

Now these do not match completely well as this thread shows, but the complains are pretty overblown. 

If they bothered by this lack of time, then they should report the launch to summer 2022.

Assuming that this was not a deliberate style choice.

It isn't a promise if the idea or concept or item they stand for isn't granted. If they deliver the aurene set at launch , it isn't a fullfilled promise either!

Again you have the right to like it. But it feels more like a regular weapon set and during the stream they put the word legendary for the sake of putting it.

So for you footfalls, animation changes, the statchange functionality, are all part of ordinary weaponset?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

Mmh tell me where I blamed a single person in particular lol. You are twisting what I said.

Really?

You wrote (and I already quoted this in my previous response) :

On 7/31/2021 at 10:29 PM, hugo.4705 said:

If I was in Anet HQ I would be running, yelling at those "legendary" designers.

Again, it's not the designers' fault. The devs decided what the next generation of legendary weapons should be - the designers merely followed orders and designed the requested weapons.

"Twisting your words" my behind. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is a real legendary set, even the arts if they need: https://www.reddit.com/user/Achromant/ let's stop arguing, a set with all weapons looking the same without unique heroes story behind isn't legendary.

Enjoy having those poor non legendaries weapons but this isn't up to their quality standards they used to follow for HoT or PoF.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Like 2