Accessibility Issues

I haven't played the game in a few years and I'm happy to be back. Sadly I'm unable to change the chat colour settings, is there a work around or addon for this? I have a colour blind issue and I'd like to be able to change the text colours to make it easier to read. I also need to point out that some of the in-game letters are in red? Please consider another colour option for us that have issues with reds. Thank you so much 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sash.2754 said:

I haven't played the game in a few years and I'm happy to be back. Sadly I'm unable to change the chat colour settings, is there a work around or addon for this? I have a colour blind issue and I'd like to be able to change the text colours to make it easier to read. I also need to point out that some of the in-game letters are in red? Please consider another colour option for us that have issues with reds. Thank you so much 🙂

My spouse has a very difficult time seeing the names of people in party, as those blue names tend to meld VERY well into 95% of environments in game.  I 100% agree with you that we need at the very least a 'colorblind' mode if not the ability to choose the color of fonts for each display channel ourselves.  I'm going to keep watching this space, but if you find something that fixes this for you would you please shoot me a message in the forums?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

If I figure out anything I'll be sure to post. If they have chat based on server side instead of client side (the way other MMO's are) it might be impossible. Arena.net is pretty good about being anti-cheat and anti-scam so it might be they have to have a harder lock down on those aspects. Hopefully someone on their team can offer options. Really enjoying the game other than standing in the bad stuff since I literally can't see it

(Dear Arena net: red is bad okay? But red is dead when you can't even see it with green or blue around!)

I've been craving a lot of UI options to be added, like this and the ability to increase the font size. The max size is too small and I can only make it larger by increasing the entire UI size at once. Another thing FFXIV has that GW2 could learn from.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

My spouse has a very difficult time seeing the names of people in party, as those blue names tend to meld VERY well into 95% of environments in game.  I 100% agree with you that we need at the very least a 'colorblind' mode if not the ability to choose the color of fonts for each display channel ourselves.  I'm going to keep watching this space, but if you find something that fixes this for you would you please shoot me a message in the forums?

Regarding colors, long ago we had a conversation with Anet on the WvW forum, when they had just created the squad system with blue squadmembers and the slightly-lighter-shade-of-blue-but-almost-same partymembers and the response was basicly "we can see the difference" *shrugs*

So dont hold your breath.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Anet has added help for colorblind people before on multiple occasions. 

I give my *upvote" for that. 

Where are the options? I checked the user interface and the chat settings to change the colours, but there isn't anything I can tell. In ESO you can change indicators, chat text, names above the head, etc, so that colour blind people aren't missing importing visual queues. So for me I can do "green" for good and then "white" for bad. Which could seem strange to someone who has a normal visual spectrum but not everyone has that. I was hoping to find a setting to check for it but I see there is none. And I'm not going to poo all over Arena.net. The game is wonderful in so many ways and if they don't have an accessibility crew or anyone who has colour blindness then I'll have to adjust as I already do in life for everything else that doesn't care if you're colour blind, or left handed, or short.

35 minutes ago, Sash.2754 said:

Where are the options? I checked the user interface and the chat settings to change the colours, but there isn't anything I can tell. In ESO you can change indicators, chat text, names above the head, etc, so that colour blind people aren't missing importing visual queues. So for me I can do "green" for good and then "white" for bad. Which could seem strange to someone who has a normal visual spectrum but not everyone has that. I was hoping to find a setting to check for it but I see there is none. And I'm not going to poo all over Arena.net. The game is wonderful in so many ways and if they don't have an accessibility crew or anyone who has colour blindness then I'll have to adjust as I already do in life for everything else that doesn't care if you're colour blind, or left handed, or short.

Anet doesnt like it to let us change the UI ( for some reason).

I cant realy look everything up (no time) but here is an example:

The icons for the Malnourished and Diminished effects are now clearer and more user friendly for colorblind players.

They do provide Help for Colorblind people from time to time and i bet this request could be succesfull but it will most likely be drowned out by the EoD stuff currently.

• Like 1

There are several forms of colour blind so there's no one fix for all. This is why so many MMOs have colour options for people because no one's built the same.

Tritanopia and Tritanomaly - S-Cone (blues) both are on the same spectrum of blue-green blind but are affected differently

Deuteranopia and Deuteranomaly -  M-Cone (greens) where green and red present as problems on their spectrum

Protanopia and Protanomaly: - L-Cone (reds) where blue and green, red and green present problems

There is never a time where a company can account for these six problems within the human body and that is why I asked if there were settings for our personal use. Since there isn't and this won't be a feature a moderator can safely close the thread. Thank you

Edit: Okay the smilies on these posts are a bit creepy.

Edited by Sash.2754
  • Haha 1

You might have to find a third party solution for that.  I personally use JAWS and an OCR add-on for screen-reading chat (i'm blind) and I never had an issue with arenanet's security team.  

Try searching for color-blind gaming communities to see if there's universal solutions that can work with any game.  This might be the way to go.

Good luck!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Adjustable ui and hud is a big wish of mine. Being able to move portraits, spells, map, chat ect and size them is something i really miss. It would be an amazing addition to gw2. 

My mouth moistens just thinking about it.

Also wow; look how serious SE is for it's players' accessibility... o.O

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/908c9d4cd156af1fcb490dda7166918b26a1cfa1

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't make this post to poo on Anet. I don't know the developer code behind the scenes or how the UX was designed. Those of us with accessibility needs are more than aware that we're a minority and the world can't cater to us and we've spent years learning how to navigate and adjust. I thought I missed a setting and my information overloaded brain of a brand new game made me miss something crucial or maybe that there was an addon for it (like prat in wow). If and when Anet can implement different telegraph colours or chat colours that's awesome! If not , that's okay, too, I can always adjust my monitor as I have before with other game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sash.2754 said:

I didn't make this post to poo on Anet. I don't know the developer code behind the scenes or how the UX was designed. Those of us with accessibility needs are more than aware that we're a minority and the world can't cater to us and we've spent years learning how to navigate and adjust. I thought I missed a setting and my information overloaded brain of a brand new game made me miss something crucial or maybe that there was an addon for it (like prat in wow). If and when Anet can implement different telegraph colours or chat colours that's awesome! If not , that's okay, too, I can always adjust my monitor as I have before with other game. 

Can agree that they realy should let us colour enemy/friendly aoe circles to what we like.