Is the conflict of EoD too much magic?

Daniel Handler.4816

Perhaps Cantha, like so many civilizations before it, has become so magically advanced that the dragons would need to drain and recycle it to keep magic levels in check. 

We need to somehow restart the dragon cycle, and the villain of EoD is some industrialist going for endless progress.

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816

8 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Perhaps the Canthans are storing magic much like the dragons and bloodstones. This could actually begin Guild Wars 2.0?

Are there actually any guilds left in Tyria apart from Dragon's Watch (and Destiny's Edge 2.0, i.e. Braham group)? We've never heard of any...

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Are there actually any guilds left in Tyria apart from Dragon's Watch (and Destiny's Edge 2.0, i.e. Braham group)? We've never heard of any...

Braham's group is mostly dead, so it's just Dragon's Watch.

Pact is still around, I wonder what is the Aetherblades involvement. Are they still our enemies? They were not shooting at Aurene in the trailer, so I'd assume we have befriended Mai Trin somehow.

I have a strange feeling about Joon being a villain. She seems to be very invested in the dragon jade research and the future of Cantha. She sounds friendly (I love that Erika is voicing her btw), but that lair with jade machinery is giving off some villain vibes. If this technology is being misused, I'd see the Commander (PC) trying to stop that.

The reason we're going to Cantha is Kunnavang talking to Aurene, right? I'm slowly starting to mix up all the voices in trailers.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:01 AM, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

the villain of EoD is some industrialist

Are you sure she is actually the villain here.

If it wasn't for Canthan dragonjade, we (the commander) would have probably already destroyed the world with all the excess magic we released upon killing multiple elder dragons.

9 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Are you sure she is actually the villain here.

If it wasn't for Canthan dragonjade, we (the commander) would have probably already destroyed the world with all the excess magic we released upon killing multiple elder dragons.

It seems like the dragons need to reduce the amount of magic in the world, whether it is unbound, or in objects/people. Though that could just be their hunger.

If the dragon jade is vacuuming/binding up a majority of dead (and maybe living) dragons' magic from the world, it might consume too much magic. It is strongly hinted that the dragons perform vital function in the world and then there is also the notion of needing balance. So perhaps too much and too little magic could have repercussions. Magic taken out of the ley line system removes it from whatever the dragons should be doing with it. So the problem might become too little magic in the world. I guess that saying the same thing as too much magic stored in dragon jade. In otherworld too little magic in the right places, and too much in the wrong place.

In that case, the commander might want to destroy the dragon jade so that Aurene can redistribute the magic for the unknown cosmological functions. In the trailer we have one character seemingly defending the dragon jade and rejecting these cosmological needs. I would guess the commander will try to be nice about it. However the dragon jade users will probably prove more resilient and cunning than the commander and Aurene can handle. The dragon jade will make formidable foes for the commander but we can't forget something.

Aurene isn't the only elder dragon in the world. She is just the nicest one around so far. While Aurene will refrain from giving the dragon jade users any kind of ultimatum and avoid outright war. The trailer doesn't let us forget that another elder dragon is out there, and this dragon, regardless how how much torment has twisted it, may still have an innate sense of the elders dragons' purpose. It will  see that the dragon jade is destroying balance of the world, and that Aurene is failing to do anything to restore it. It will act to fix the problem, and it will not be so nice. Seeing Aurene as a failure it will take no pity on her, or her champion and allies.

The devs hinted that the dragon jade will become a part of a game system, so it seems like the commander will eventually use dragon jade tech. Obviously going from trying to destroy it, to incorporating into tools means that dealing will dragon jade is not a simple answer.

• Like 1