HOUSING - WHY WE STILL DONT HAVE IT?

It would be a "mini home instance".
What I'd like them to do is add lot more customization to home instances, for example if you could claim a house in Salma District.
On the other hand some would then demand that all home instances need this option and that would be very hard to do for some of them. The game has five home instances so that's a lot of work to do this for all of them.

Likely the easiest solution would be to do a new home instance somewhere in Cantha with lot more customization options and/or add them slowly after the initial release. This might be even in the works, we do not know yet.

Who knows, maybe we save Cantha and rest of Tyria again, and the emperor grants us high title, gifts (sweet sweet loots) and a palace in Kaineng city. Then we can decorate and customize it thru next season gameplay. Here's one hoping!

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

This is why the MMO genre is tired and lacks innovation.

Ohhh, come on! That's a claim I've been hearing repeatedly over the past 15 years, and still, here we are with new MMORPGs being released every year - of which some turn out to be very successful. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

Come on they are adding fishing, so why not housing. How they gonna monetize fishing? Fishing rods skins?!

Boat I can eventually see skins and so on but fishing? Housing had as much threads as any other activities on this forums, housing earned as much its place as any other activities in gw2. Despise all the HATE I saw regarding fishing, that it is useless, and will bring nothing, even suggested myself it can be a gemstore gizmo, they are ADDING IT. So doesn't matter how much peoples cry or are against housing, they gonna add it if they feel like it deserves it, see potential in it.

I never saw a single thread about BOATS. Apart some reddit posts from time to time "woohoo just discovered the boat in labyrinthine cliffs and sandswept move, so awesome". And somehow it became a feature too.

Over years ton of thread appeared on reddit or forum about housing.

Quick search: Fishing = 29 Threads

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?&q=fishing&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Quick search: Housing = 28 Threads

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?&q=housing&type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Quick search: Boats = 7 Threads

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?&q=boats&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Quick search: Siege Turle = 6 Threads BUT only 1, in 2020, before knowing EOD

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?q="siege turtle"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

Following this logic, the top features should have been Fishing + Housing.

If Anet wants at least to support guild they could add new guild missions, treks and bounties in Hot and PoF maps plus extending scribe to 500.

Don't come out with they don't care about guild argument, they are adding a new guild hall with EOD and surely a good load of canthan themed decorations like they added when PoF was released with ton of elonian themed one.

Plus they continue to add decorations everytime a festival come back that is very nice of them.

I mean sure, we can "make" a house in guild hall, but then give us the tools for it. Most of decorations are human themed. Hard to give sylvari, asura or norn even, more charr themed ones? I'm all for a scribe station in home instance.

Home instance have just two roles, hosting personnal story steps and having nodes. It is the less convenient place ever, that is why lounge pass exist. Eye of the north act as a free lounge.

What I see in this thread is just everyone ignoring each other with confused emotes that's not how a discussion progress.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eraden.8740 said:

The problem with player housing is that most players, I believe, want to show off their shiny new house to other players, both interior and exterior. The problem with allowing exterior modelling is that it takes up vast amounts of processing power to keep all that stuff modelled. Think about games like "Conan Exiles" or "Ark" that allow you to build your own structures. The more structures you build, the slower the game gets as the amount of objects that need to be rendered keeps going up. Now ramp that up to ridiculous levels as you have hundreds or perhaps THOUSANDS of players all wanting to have their own houses. Yes, there are probably some players who would be content with an instanced version of their own house interior. I suspect, however, that there are a lot of players who want the whole thing and wouldn't be satisfied with a half-baked version of the whole deal. Player housing sounds nice at first thought but when you really think about it, there's probably MUCH better uses of developer time that wouldn't end up turning this game into a slow slog.

I haven't read about outside renders but that would be a terrible implementation for outside edits.  Thankfully ANet hasn't appeared to be a fickle graphic designer so I doubt they do that considering how well guild halls were implemented. While housing is kinda neat and a good time sink for some MMO's, I've noticed for myself that after buying and decorating a home I'm like "eh" because... who's going to use it? GW2 isn't an RP hub and if you're in a guild you have a hall with decorations and guild halls are fairly large. I don't really see the logic with housing for this game, but I also think that people want something more to do.

I'm personally looking forward to my own boats and fishing. By far one of the more fun things to do in other games is chill and fish... but in my own boat? Now that's awesome. And I can't wait to see what other two player mounts they design!

13 hours ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Because Guild halls exist and guilds should be the defacto "player housing" encouraging players to join a guild so they can customize their own space in it, and make it so guild halls have more to them than what they currently do. Personally the boating and fishing to me isn't even a factor into the expansion and isn't going to sell it to me. So far I likely wont buy (Based on what we've seen thus far.) 

As I suspected I'll be either in it for the E-specs or dipping out. So far what they showed was a pile of meh for me, housing like boating while neat I guess would be something I likely would never touch.

I always assumed that player housing would be an extension of guild halls if they did it. 

I have a home portal "love using it" that I use and each class has their "Home"

I can see them improve it to allow players to add items like a "House" just like the Guild Halls they can add items as well.

I would not see an acutal house but I can see adding more items to the "Home" we have currently.

I have added as much as they offer so I have alot of the nodes, plants, and even now at lvl 500 chef I have my own Cooking Station how kool is that !

i would only like housing if you could make appear some kind of house like bulma from goku does with her capsules. Like if it was a toy like chairs or tonics you know. I think making housing instanced would make players go away from the main city plazas and would make the game feel less alive. For me it would be ok just to make the skiff progressively turn into a ship u could decorate and that kind of stuff but im probably day dreaming xd.

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ohhh, come on! That's a claim I've been hearing repeatedly over the past 15 years, and still, here we are with new MMORPGs being released every year - of which some turn out to be very successful. :classic_rolleyes:

Then you should have little trouble naming them. What new very successful MMOs we got being released every year?

Pro-tip: try not to include older MMOs re-released for the Western market?

Why copy features constantly from other games? Lower risk money making? We end up with a market saturated by clones. That's how the genre gets stagnated.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

You heard Anet. We wanted turtles. Not houses. So we get turtles. Havent you seen all the turtle threads the past 9 years?

You mistook my "I want one of those huge GW1 battle turtles as a House" post as a turtle post, it was a Housing post!

also remenber that they prefer the expansion "carrot" be something visible in all world maps to attract more players to buy the stuff.

thats why they made gliddering availiable in all Tyria, after HoT. the mounts after POF.

i guess that skiff will be next "carrot", probably will come with changes in water areas in tyria(like add fishing spots).

they can't do same same with houses.

16 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

also remenber that they prefer the expansion "carrot" be something visible in all world maps to attract more players to buy the stuff.

thats why they made gliddering availiable in all Tyria, after HoT. the mounts after POF.

i guess that skiff will be next "carrot", probably will come with changes in water areas in tyria(like add fishing spots).

they can't do same same with houses.

It's a good point. They are reviving yet again the older areas of the world so people will revisit them. They stated that you can fish everywhere so indeed lots of Fish has been added to Core Tyria and the xpacs. I always thought Anet did a good job of keeping old areas populated and this certainly fits in. 

Disclaimer: Just some dream ideas. Not in a position to debate whether any of it's economical or feasible using the Completion Backwards Principle or what have you. 🤓

Some sort of hybrid LotRO/New World might be nice.

If instanced, like LotRO, rather than spinning up static neighborhoods with the same neighbors, the instances spin up 'as needed', the way GW2 already likes to do things, so you have different neighbors every time you go. In LotRO, I had the same neighbors. It was fun at first, but then people stopped playing and being in the neighborhood made me a little sad. If I went to my neighborhood in LotRO and they pulled my house into an available slot (that was in the same position as the house I bought) in a populated instance, that would be kinda neat. See some homes and meet different neighbors. A live instance would show the house of the last person that logged in. Use the same instance engine they use now.

And/Or go open, like New World, build some neighborhoods out in the old world here and there and/or use existing towns as places to live, adding a few luxury homes on the outskirts to buy. The home you see could be the function of any number of things (prioritized by the player):

1. Most upvoted

2. Developer Highlighted

3. People in your party

4. People nearest you that own the property (stopping by to visit someone that's already home, should they wish to be 'public' at home)

I think the reason would be development and data. Housing takes a large amount of time, its like developing a mini server in some games, you have housing that has interactive things in it, or build materials and positioning of all your stuff. GW2 uses cloud servers correct? Im not sure how much it would be to add in another basically server type for you to enter and design. I guess it could be done like guild halls only the interiors would be houses and smaller in scale than guild halls. 

Think of how games like FF do housing, its expensive for the player.

Also imo rift had the best housing set up and customization of any game.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2

Implementing housing is probably a huge undertaking to do well, and IMO the big problem with it has always been the instanced nature of it. Even the best MMO housing (Wildstar, RIP) was still an isolated/isolating endeavor that added nothing apart from a nice navel gazing experience.

At this point, I'd only be interested in non-instanced housing, and technologically that still seems years away - those that tried, failed.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Goettel.4389
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Goettel.4389 said:

Implementing housing is probably a huge undertaking to do well, and IMO the big problem with it has always been the instanced nature of it. Even the best MMO housing (Wildstar, RIP) was still an isolated/isolating endeavor that added nothing apart from a nice navel gazing experience.

At this point, I'd only be interested in non-instanced housing, and technologically that still seems years away - those that tried, failed.

Edit: spelling.

And here is an example of what I was saying earlier. There are players that would like to have non-instanced housing. I'm betting that it's a substantial number of people. I suspect that people like Goettel want non-instanced housing because it would be somewhat more interactive than instanced-housing. Goettel was quite astute, however, in recognizing that we simply don't have the technology to implement this without slowing servers to a crawl. Even if you try to dumb things down to "here's a single object that represents the exterior of your house", that would still mean potentially thousands of objects that would still have to be rendered (thousands of players all clamoring for their own house). I doubt, though, that players would be satisfied with owning a "little pink house (for you and me)" just like everyone else. People would want to try and individualize the exteriors of their houses and, well, there goes the server.

• Like 1

The best version of housing ive ever come across is the non instanced player housing in ArcheAge.  The thing is There is no way anet can just magically make non instanced player housing for gw2. As that is somthing the game needs to be built upon for it to have any real meaning.  On the other hand instanced player housing can be cool in theory. Generally it does not add anything of value. Now im sure the people at anet could come up with some interesting implimentation given the time and reasources to do so but I just dont see them having the extra resources to worry about player housing at this time.

3 hours ago, Eraden.8740 said:

I suspect that people like Goettel want non-instanced housing because it would be somewhat more interactive than instanced-housing.

Mainly, I'd want non-instanced housing because it would add all that player creativity to the open-world experience of others too - it all becomes part of the world. RIFT has nice housing, and so do ESO, BDO and others, but having it instanced means that other players will rarely if ever see others' hard work, making housing feel hollow (at least to me).

But yeah, GW2's engine was obviously not designed to offer such a forward looking feature, and adding it would mean a completely new engine would have to be build.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, notebene.3190 said:

Disclaimer: Just some dream ideas. Not in a position to debate whether any of it's economical or feasible using the Completion Backwards Principle or what have you. 🤓

Some sort of hybrid LotRO/New World might be nice.

If instanced, like LotRO, rather than spinning up static neighborhoods with the same neighbors, the instances spin up 'as needed', the way GW2 already likes to do things, so you have different neighbors every time you go. In LotRO, I had the same neighbors. It was fun at first, but then people stopped playing and being in the neighborhood made me a little sad. If I went to my neighborhood in LotRO and they pulled my house into an available slot (that was in the same position as the house I bought) in a populated instance, that would be kinda neat. See some homes and meet different neighbors. A live instance would show the house of the last person that logged in. Use the same instance engine they use now.

And/Or go open, like New World, build some neighborhoods out in the old world here and there and/or use existing towns as places to live, adding a few luxury homes on the outskirts to buy. The home you see could be the function of any number of things (prioritized by the player):

1. Most upvoted

2. Developer Highlighted

3. People in your party

4. People nearest you that own the property (stopping by to visit someone that's already home, should they wish to be 'public' at home)

Actually that thing with the neighbor system that rotates in an instance sounds cool, you enter the instance to farm your nodes and see a cool house, the neighbor might let you farm the nodes you don't have and show you for example a legendary armory or CM Dhuum trophy.    

• Like 2