E-spec legend speculation

Mediahead.3542

@draxynnic.3719

I don't disagree with you, I'm just pointing out that there is as much of an hint of ritualist into revenant than there is an hint of paragon in guardian. And that those titles make it unlikely for other professions to have especs named this way.

You just can't expect to get a carbon copy of GW's ritualist or paragon just like GW2's mesmer is far from being a carbon copy of GW's mesmer. The 2 games' professions are just to different from the very beginning.

The ritualist in GW was pretty much someone that worshiped it's ancestors and borrowed their power while the monk was someone that worship it's gods. Many people stop themselve at the "spirit builds" of the ritualist while there were spirit weapon, spiritual attack, healing supported via spirits and you could even borrow the strenght of a known ancestor through their ashes.

The revenant, much like the ritualist borrow the strength of various spirits/ancestors/legends, the main point being that he is not restricted to the Human ancestors which fit better with GW2 context allowing us to play with many races.

The revenant have an heavy focus on the spirits/ancestors/legends while it was merely a feature of the ritualist. You could say that revenant is already a specialization of the ritualist and thus having a ritualist as an e-spec would be a step backward instead of a step forward. Which from my point of view is an unlikely outcome.

As I see it, the revenant can only continue forward and find new ways to express the legends they channel. And if kalla is meant to set up a patern, the next e-spec can very well focus on summoning the legend (like asuras summon golems) or embodying the legend (like norns transform into their animal totem). The asura hypothesis being very close to the flawed image players tend to have of the old ritualist while the norns one could be mistaken for the image of the old dervich. Which doesn't mean that it would be enough for them to earn the name "Ritualist" or "Dervich", just that it does have similarity in the player's minds.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@Dadnir.5038 Yeah, fair enough. Guess I had a kneejerk reaction because it looked like a "well, it's still a ritualist, so that's the elite spec it should get" post, when you were actually agreeing that having the title doesn't mean that the profession needs to become more like that.

And yeah, that's... kinda the point I'm making. Just because it has some thematic connections doesn't mean it's ever going to be a carbon copy.

But that seems to be what people are asking for. I'm honestly starting to wonder if all it would have taken to not be having these conversations in the first place is a simple aesthetic rework with exactly the same mechanics and gameplay that renegade already has. Turn the "warband members" into spirits of the player's own race (sylvari could have Dream echos or centaurs or something), replace the shortbow with a scepter and focus and have lightning projectiles instead of flaming arrows, turn the F3 into a teal lightning storm, and retheme F2 and F4 into invocations rather than commands. That's a pretty close GW2 implementation of a ritualist that has a mix of spirits, offensive spells, and non-spirit party buffs. It really seems to be the charr aesthetic that the 'Master Togo' crowd is complaining about - renegade already has a pretty good gameplay representation of ritualist merged into revenant mechanics, probably the best that can be realistically expected, it just doesn't look the part.

Because, when PoF was made, ANet didn't know if they'd go back to Cantha. And it wouldn't make sense to make the elite Canthan-themed while Cantha was still isolated. So we got something that was, mechanically, essentially a ritualist overlaid into revenant mechanics, but the legend used was one that was important to Tyrian history rather than Canthan.

Really, if new legends happen to have some ritualist-like mechanics... sure, whatever. But I really don't want to see revenant limited to only getting ritualist-like stuff because people just aren't happy with what's already there. It's a profession that grants the opportunity to emulate abilities that would otherwise be outside the normal capabilities of the playable races - I'd hate to see that wasted with repeated attempts to remake ritualist.

4 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

They probably did know.

There was a point (although I think it was after the IBS had started, or at least been announced, so it didn't cause a 'they're abandoning the game!' panic) where they were pretty upfront about making sure that Season 4 finished with a satisfying conclusion in case that was the endpoint of Guild Wars 2 (I think it might have been in a Guild Chat?). That tells me that at some point, they were considering ending development with the end of Season 4.

If they didn't know if the story was going to go past Kralkatorrik's death, it follows that they didn't know that the story would be going to Cantha. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:48 PM, Mediahead.3542 said:

I don't believe that is case as by simply looking at the icons for both the herald and renegade (as well as the rest of the e-pecs for that matter) shows that there is no consistent pattern for these professions. It is literally anyone's guess which one goes where, especially my own. My point is, odds are very good that the one that looks like a rev isn't for the rev at all

I have little faith that it'll be anything neat.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1