Thief Elite Specialization Prediction & Speculation Discussion

AikijinX.6258

26 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Another hint that I think this is thief and not guardian: the pose.

Thief in all elite spec artworks has been very dynamic and flexible with the pose.

Guardian is not. Core guardian, dragonhunter, firebrand, they are all directly facing the right side.

Not with a twisted upper body, facing the observer with half profile or anything. Guardian is always full profile.

All 3 Guardian Artworks

The pose does not match. This guy is not directly facing to the right, so this is most likely not a guardian elite spec.

There are more hints in these artworks than just armor, weapons and colours. Look into details like this as well.

Another thing to note about the artwork is that the thief art always has the face covered by something such as a hood/face wrap/mask whereas the guardian always has an open-faced helmet in their art, and they clearly chose the Open version of the Warlord Helmet for this. This is very likely the guardian spec.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nomad.4301 said:

Another thing to note about the artwork is that the thief art always has the face covered by something such as a hood/face wrap/mask whereas the guardian always has an open-faced helmet in their art, and they clearly chose the Open version of the Warlord Helmet for this. This is very likely the guardian spec.

The hood is just as much "covering" the face here as the helmet of this new artwork. You can clearly see the face of the thief, besides him wearing a hood.

It also doesn't seem to be the open version of the warlord helmet, btw. The opened version still has the visor, just moving upwards, which is not the case here. On the opened version of the helmet, the ornament on the forhead wouldn't be seen like it is here.

Meanwhile this ornament is present for the medium warlord armor, which, btw, is open by default.

I would bet real money on this not being a guardian, my friend. We will soon find out.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Someone over on Reddit cleaned/brightened up the image and it seems pretty clear that it's heavy armor: https://i.redd.it/54ircxrj6df71.png

Here's the medium version for reference: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c6/Warlord's_armor_(medium)_human_male_front.jpg

While an argument could be made for the helm resembling the medium more, it's very clear from the legs that it's wearing the heavy version, and not the cloth-like version found on the medium set, while the shoulders are likely the new elite spec armor piece.

Edit: Afterthought - IF those shoulders are the elite spec armor piece that would make it more likely the guardian elite because rev and warrior (and thief for that matter) already got shoulders from previous elite specs, whereas guardian got gloves and a helmet.

Edited by Nomad.4301
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Nomad.4301 said:

Someone over on Reddit cleaned/brightened up the image and it seems pretty clear that it's heavy armor: https://i.redd.it/54ircxrj6df71.png

Here's the medium version for reference: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c6/Warlord's_armor_(medium)_human_male_front.jpg

While an argument could be made for the helm resembling the medium more, it's very clear from the legs that it's wearing the heavy version, and not the cloth-like version found on the medium set, while the shoulders are likely the new elite spec armor piece.

Edit: Afterthought - IF those shoulders are the elite spec armor piece that would make it more likely the guardian elite because rev and warrior already got shoulders from previous elite specs, whereas guardian got gloves and a helmet.

If the following is correct:
https://twitter.com/JustinIotaRust/status/1422941495548551174

Then I am convinced this is heavy armour, the details on the bottom and the gloves match up to the rest of the set. the part which does not marry up is the helmet and shoulders,

• Like 1

Looks more like Guardian because the armor even without the exposure filter is too bulky and a thief in gw2 will have a mask. The 3rd icon with the dual swords and diamond shape dots can also indicate a homage to Firebrand spellbook pages. Those pages you burn are diamond icons as well and maybe it has some indirect correlation of a high and mighty Firebrand turned battle mage+warrior lol.

The teaser image with high exposure to some what reveal what hidden color profiles are underneath.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/684475482330497034/872583639861432340/unknown.png

Edited by Laosduude.1690

I'm super convinced it is the guardian.  99% sure. 1% in case that armor is  somehow classified as medium in EoD.

I feel like a dual sword melee combat thief, while sounds cool in concept,  would have alot overlapping with the Daredevil who has overwhelming ninja-ish theme with their slipperiness. That being said, I'm hyped to see what Thief really get, if dual swords ain't the case.  A mace thief would be....super uncool doe...., just saying.

Edited by quaniesan.8497
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

The red, which is the way more prominent colour of this image, doesn't match for former guardian elite spec reveals. Meanwhile it does match for thief elite specs.

1 hour ago, Laosduude.1690 said:

Looks more like Guardian because the armor even without the exposure filter is too bulky and a thief in gw2 will have a mask. The 3rd icon with the dual swords and diamond shape dots can also indicate a homage to Firebrand spellbook pages. Those pages you burn are diamond icons as well and maybe it has some indirect correlation of a high and mighty Firebrand turned battle mage+warrior lol.

The teaser image with high exposure to some what reveal what hidden color profiles are underneath.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/684475482330497034/872583639861432340/unknown.png

would you be upset if you need a heavy armor set when using the new spec? because that is definitely a heavy armor set, but the pose and colors is thievery.

Could it be possible necro and thief move one step forward the armor weight and that's why they are both shown together for more WOW factor when they are being shown?

• Confused 1

I had purchased an Eternity 2 days ago before this post even hit. I had a feeling we would get Greatsword. Thank God. Much Cooler weapon. 

Can’t wait to see all the Dante DMC outfit renditions that appear on reddit. 😄 Happy Thiefing. 

Edited by AikijinX.6258

Both daredevil and deadeye felt kind of power dmg focused (looking at elite weapon), so maybe sth more in line with condi dmg? Weren't they saying that they want to do sth bold and out of class convention? Maybe thief would get sth like torch offhand and with it would loose access to stealth (stealth skill would either be swapped with some new mechanics or used to get 'revealed' state for some possible buffs or sth). Sth like focus offhand to make it more of a ninja/warlock flavour with either some ritualistic magic or some japanese shinto elementalist.

Just now, AfroMetal.5394 said:

Both daredevil and deadeye felt kind of power dmg focused (looking at elite weapon), so maybe sth more in line with condi dmg? Weren't they saying that they want to do sth bold and out of class convention? Maybe thief would get sth like torch offhand and with it would loose access to stealth (stealth skill would either be swapped with some new mechanics or used to get 'revealed' state for some possible buffs or sth). Sth like focus offhand to make it more of a ninja/warlock flavour with either some ritualistic magic or some japanese shinto elementalist.

.... or the medic thief everybody is asking. I meant the support thief, something between guard and thief.

It makes sense to give a heavy set to thief if you want to give it a more suportish role, so it feels more guardiany.

That could explain why those are both shown toghether(necro and thief) so it doesn't spoil the reveal and also gives the first beta one of each weight class to play with.

10 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

I already have my swords so I made an Exordium just in case. :classic_wink:

Ayeee smart man! But it’s most likely greatsword at this point. 😛 if we don’t get one type of jump skill or teleport on the weapon I’m gonna be mad 😂 and please no heart seeker-like arc or vault. Oh AND LET US CHANGE OUR WEAPONS IN THE AIR, like you restricted for STAFF 5 vault. Oh and if we don’t get a FULL COUNTER then what’s the point in GS.🙄

Edited by AikijinX.6258

36 minutes ago, quaniesan.8497 said:

I'm super convinced it is the guardian.  99% sure. 1% in case that armor is  somehow classified as medium in EoD.

I feel like a dual sword melee combat thief, while sounds cool in concept,  would have alot overlapping with the Daredevil who has overwhelming ninja-ish theme with their slipperiness. That being said, I'm hyped to see what Thief really get, if dual swords ain't the case.  A mace thief would be....super uncool doe...., just saying.

If you associate dual sword with a ninja spec, sure, but GW1's Assassin from different from that. Through shadowfrom, it ended up being a popular tank class, and offhand swords generally have blocks. (Including Rev, before it got changed.)

The waist armor in the teaser definitely looks like heavy armor though. There's a chance more than one class gets offhand sword since they've doubled up on weapons in both previous expacs, but then it seems like missed opportunity when there's so many themes they could pull from.

5 hours ago, Laosduude.1690 said:

If ya'll are going to be so insistent on posting poor quality unveilings... allow someone who has a background in graphic arts to clean it up for you better....

https://imgur.com/XEuIDzmLink

I still say it is Thief.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

I'm almost positive this means thief is getting OH torch because it very clearly Guardian.

I think all of you making GS purchases are wasting your money lol.  That bullet icon is almost guaranteed Ele. 

Dont you dare say that, I just spent 4K+ on eternity + other GS skins 😂😂 in hindsight it’s not that much money, but shhhhhh!!! Worst case scenario, I got some sick skins I can resell. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

If ya'll are going to be so insistent on posting poor quality unveilings... allow someone who has a background in graphic arts to clean it up for you better....

https://imgur.com/XEuIDzmLink

I still say it is Thief.

I am still hoping it’s thief, but GS is leagues more interesting as a weapon.

1 hour ago, IDICERI.4268 said:

I wonder if we can equip heavy armor to match the elite specialization as a thief . Like a shadow knight, but that might be rule breaking.

ANET did say they will be breaking rules this time around, I wonder if that extends to armor 🥲

1 hour ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

I am still hoping it’s thief, but GS is leagues more interesting as a weapon.

ANET did say they will be breaking rules this time around, I wonder if that extends to armor 🥲

It could be. They could also just be giving thief one tier of HP and armor via base stats, which is a no-no for non-thieves. Can't have a more durable thief.

12 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

They could also just be giving thief one tier of HP and armor via base stats, which is a no-no for non-thieves. Can't have a more durable thief.

If Thieves loose access to Stealth (or instantly get revealed) and reduced teleport ranges, I wouldn't mind that.

If Arenanet wants Thief to be more durable, it needs to be far less elusive.

After all, elite specializations are supposed to have trade-offs, even if those aren't seen too often.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

It could be. They could also just be giving thief one tier of HP and armor via base stats, which is a no-no for non-thieves. Can't have a more durable thief.

I would make sense if they go for a suportish thief e-spec so it plays closer to a guardian. 

With access to core mobility, thief damage with double swords but also with heavy armor to become a little bit more durable so it can stay longer in frontlines. 

Either way it seems to be or a thief with guardiany vibes (suportish)  or a guardian with thievery vibes (mobility and dps) . 

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If Thieves loose access to Stealth (or instantly get revealed) and reduced teleport ranges, I wouldn't mind that.

If Arenanet wants Thief to be more durable, it needs to be far less elusive.

After all, elite specializations are supposed to have trade-offs, even if those aren't seen too often.

Its going to need A LOT of healing if it is going to be a tank. Playing Renegade with Battle Scars, full marauder, vampirism runes and most of their damage buffs, it's really easy to solo champs plus adds. Hopefully, if we do get a real tank spec that it could do something close to that with about the same setup. Because that is seriously broken imho lol.

48 minutes ago, Roads.5130 said:

Have a look at this and let me know if you still think it's a thief.

https://imgur.com/a/SEa0vES

I still think it’s thief.

If it is a Guardian then the other preview we got that we all seem to agree is undoubtedly a Necromancer must actually be a Ranger…since it is clearly medium armor not light armor and both engineer and thief already have pistols.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2