WvW gamemode makes people toxic, hate other people, even entire nations

Daredevil.2745

I was playing GW1 since 2006 till 2013, i was nice and relaxed players alwasy ready to help and so on (i was playing pvp there too, no toxicity).

GW2 realeased, i play PvE, im still same nice person.

Later a start playing WvW, while im a noob and don't understand how utterly broken WvW, im still helpful and nice person.

Later when i realised how unfair and disbalanced WvW in terms of population, when enemies spawncamping us becasue they simply had much more players, when they were lauging at us not being able to do anything with 10 players agains their full blobs, i started to be toxic, hate other people, hate entire nations (national servers casue national hate).

But I kept playing.

Later link system was introduced.... Anet allowed people cheap bandwagooning to linked server to win while other server were doomed to suffer full, without link, outnumbered. Matchmanupulation by the developers was the last point.

I became a very toxic, unhelpful player.

Conclusion. When a pvp gamode is so much unfair and disbalanced, it creats hate, national hate as well, it makes people toxic and rude. Espectially when you see that developers encourge such state of play.

THANK YOU for reading, fell free to discuss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

WvW made me such person (not GW2, WvW part of it), no other game i played in my life can spoil a person so much. Yes, i created that thread, becasue the gamemode needs a complete rework.

Then your problem is your absolute lack of self-control, discipline and willpower. Is not WvW fault, is yours. Saying that the problem in your attitude is how WvW is designed is a really poor excuse. My 12 years old nephew says things like that.

Drop WvW, go to PvE. You'll never get angry.

• Like 12

WvW isn't designed to be fair, and thus not designed to be competitive. As such, take it for what it is, it's the pve open world zerg world bosses type of pvp experience. If you try to take something like that serious, you'll only drive yourself crazy.

If you want something with fairness and competitiveness, that would be spvp, that's what it was designed for (well at least they tried). If you want WvW to be like PvP then it won't be WvW any longer. And you're better off wishing for another PvP mode.

Blaming the game for your own misplaced expectations is pointless. That's like entering pve open world and expecting a raid like experience, and then get disappointed that it isn't, and start taking it out on other players that the game isn't what you where hoping/looking for.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Daredevil.2745 said:

why there is a score system and serverleadeboard then? Why there were tournaments then in the past?

It has competitive elements, but it isn't setup to be a game with a competitive fights. 

Chess, sports, etc have rules to make it fair, or as close to it as they can. Where player/team skill level decides the victor. But WvW from the very get go does away with all of these. So you have a system with points/leaderboards, but then the winner is decided almost entirely by coverage/population. It's like if Soccer could put as many players as they could find/afford onto the arena, to completely counter any need to have skill, you could just bunker up the goal with enough goal keepers that the ball physically couldn't pass. Or chess where the one that can afford the most chess sets can start with more pieces on the board.

You can have points and leaderboards, even tournaments in anything you want, like drinking games, yatzee (almost pure random dice rolling), War (the card game where you just flip a card each and the highest value wins the others card), or other games that takes zero skill. It doesn't make them competitive, it basically just makes them into party games.

Taking WvW serious, is your own fault. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yea, link system ruined it. There is no place for nice players anymore. Structure buff also killing any small groups fun of assaulting, and consequently defending, things didn't help.

Just cutting down tiers would have sufficed.

Edited by Fatal.1347
  • Haha 1

@OP

I agree with you about your feelings of toxicity found in the WvW game mode.

Long story short...save yourself from a lot of heart-ache....learn to agree to disagree with many of the forum experts found here.

Why it's turned so Toxic.

History of Told you so...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1311428/#Comment_1311428

EU is headed for some serious systematic damage to their long-term communities since Language Linking started in - [ 2019.06.14 ].  NA damage is ahead of EU by 3 years.  Toxicity is the result.

Once again....Told you so...since - [ 2016.06.11 ]

Hmm...We really need a good roadmap that's open for discussion & structured to detail all aspects of the WvW game mode from ANet...imho

Example Road Map that's structured to allow open discussion & keeps a permanent chapter on all aspects of the WvW game mode:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

I totally get what the OP is trying to say.

Why can't we have a game mode that encourages Healthy Competition?

We can, but we need a Road Map that will make the necessary changes to WvW that will allow it to happen.

Yours truly,
Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

I like the gamemode that's why i want it to be fair, a fair gameplay will prevent people from being toxic.

Yes, because people in other competitive modes/games even with absolute mirror compositions/maps (in essence the most fair it can get) are the prime example of friendliness and well-being. /s

If you like the game mode, be a part of the player base that makes it a mode which is worthwhile. If you turn toxic, stop blaming the mode and take some responsibility and exert some self control.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Handtuch.6503 said:

what is your problem?

8 hours ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

Later link system was introduced.... Anet allowed people cheap bandwagooning to linked server to win while other server were doomed to suffer full, without link, outnumbered. Matchmanupulation by the developers was the last point.

I became a very toxic, unhelpful player.

Learn to read and make conclusions! But i understand, constant banwagonning and ppting at dead hours for easy wins hurts the brain, so it is ok.

Edited by Daredevil.2745
  • Confused 7

7 hours ago, Fatal.1347 said:

Yea, link system ruined it. There is no place for nice players anymore. Structure buff also killing any small groups fun of assaulting, and consequently defending, things didn't help.

Just cutting down tiers would have sufficed.

The link system didn't ruin anything that wasn't already broken, namely Transfers. It did make it easier, but the problem already existed since way back into beta. And in some ways, the linking system did actually improve on said problem, it made a theoretical possibility that links of 2-3 servers could possibly beat servers that had already been abusing the transfer system for years. The linking system, like most other things, brought both positive and negative sides.

Notably, it made more than half the servers actually have enough population to see a zerg every now and then. There where plenty of people that didn't bother playing because they couldn't zerg at all in WvW because the population was just too low. (Personally I miss roaming heaven T8, but I realise I'm in the minority, and don't expect ANet to change the game for just me).

And to the comments about match-manipulation, the main offender there is Transfers, so players, not ANet. They just run an algorithm to match the worlds by population, and click a button to run with it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

Later when i realised how unfair and disbalanced WvW in terms of population, when enemies spawncamping us becasue they simply had much more players, when they were lauging at us not being able to do anything with 10 players agains their full blobs, i started to be toxic.

While you are getting alot of pushback in this thread, I think you are onto something with this ... you are just misdirecting your frustrations.

It isn't WvW that causes these things. However, a developer that signals no interest in a mode and its players also signals to those players that they should not care. Once players no longer care they cease to be constructive and invested, possibly becomming destructive and aloof. I think that is a fair assumption for ingame content as well as discussion forums. Then of course that can spill over onto other players and make their day-to-day frustrating but those things alone are not really the problem (eg., spawn camping can be solved, however the context it appears in [population imbalance et. al.] can feel impossible).

• Like 5