Warrior veterans, describe why you enjoy playing the warrior profession!

Fladmast.6021

33 minutes ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

Or Norn and Asura to have the same reach. 😜

I know, but Anet was very adamant about no race having a distinct advantage/disadvantage over the others.
Nevermind the racial skills in WvW... Charr and Norn Soulbeasts have been abusing certain racial elites to still instagib people.

my warrior doesn't have a hard skill bar condi cleanse and if i wanna condi cleanse my warrior, i have to hit my target regularly. so that's the part im currently training and enjoying atm.

of course, i lose versus those ranged who know how to kite+damage burst very well (some Soulbeasts, DareDevils, DragonHunters).. mostly 2v1.

and yes, that Fire Condi that pops 1/2 pool health damage per tick (Guards and Dragonhunters).

and 4 health bar condi necro is exciting to fight.

those classes that i mentioned can 3% to 60% health bar gain most of the time and i just have to rely on Healing Signet and little popping health with might gain..

you have to be very precise and fast to kill them..

just like real life samurai fights - lasts for less than a minute...

Edited by alcopaul.2156

16 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Other classes get evade spam, if anything a warrior should have evasion abilities in order to fight in melee.

I've always found it odd that Anet made the Warrior class robots that only know how to attack while rangers were dodging expertly like how someone would do in an actual fight. If they don't want to give Warrior evades, they should give Warrior parries and make them time windowed so if we miss, we pay. But if we time the window right, CC or opponent gets hurt badly.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:36 AM, Raizel.1839 said:

Because it's easy to play.

I feel this is a myth that needs smashing (preferably with a big hammer).

Everyone always says Warrior's the easiest class to play and has no finesse, but I've found the opposite to be true. To master warrior, you have to be intimately familiar with every aspect of your build, and you have to constantly be aware of positioning.

You can't rely on cheesy barrier mechanics, autoblocks or the like.

You have to get used to constantly being at around 30% health thanks to having to put yourself in harm's way to be most effective, and you need to know when to retreat and regroup.

You HAVE to swap weapons to be efficient.

I came back to the game this time last year after a 7 year break, and went through all the living world and expansion content with my main warrior, single player, in exotic gear. And it was hard.

I've since got him full ascended marauder gear, which has certainly made life easier.

But when compared to my Mirage Mesmer?

I have to put so much more work in to playing my warrior. The skill required is SO much higher.

And that's why playing warrior rocks.

It's HARD.

It's been slapped down multiple time over the years thanks to excessive nerfs.

So when you beat some particularly hard content or win a duel in WvW, you know it's because you earned it.

I really like a mace/shield and greatword combo. Combine with fast weapon switching it is fun to play. At least it was before cc skills damage nerfs. I even got eternity, the moot and The Flameseeker Prophecies to complete this close and personal fight style set.

5 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Everyone always says Warrior's the easiest class to play and has no finesse, but I've found the opposite to be true. To master warrior, you have to be intimately familiar with every aspect of your build, and you have to constantly be aware of positioning.

You have to get used to constantly being at around 30% health thanks to having to put yourself in harm's way to be most effective, and you need to know when to retreat and regroup.

I came back to the game this time last year after a 7 year break, and went through all the living world and expansion content with my main warrior, single player, in exotic gear. And it was hard.

I've since got him full ascended marauder gear, which has certainly made life easier.

I have to put so much more work in to playing my warrior. The skill required is SO much higher.

It's HARD.

So when you beat some particularly hard content or win a duel in WvW, you know it's because you earned it.

For top end levels of performance, your statement may apply, but most players are not there.

Not everyone aims to be atrociously efficient at the game, many people just want to spend their leisure time smashing things - which Warrior would be the optimal choice for due to its general simplicity in mechanics.

Thus, it's not a myth that needs smashing, but rather just something that doesn't align with your apparent skill level and approach to the game.

Nah, I'm average at best. Would never claim to be an expert player.
But it's noticeable that the amount of work I have to put in on my warrior to achieve the same results I get on my mesmer is substantially more. I have to be completely on the ball, all the time.

And yet I am still drawn to play my warrior, despite it being harder to play, because it's more engaging.

Mind you, I am also hopelessly addicted to hambow, so maybe I've made a rod for my own back 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'm average at best. Would never claim to be an expert player.

Yet, according to your prior statement you approach Warrior with attentions to details and finesse, which puts you far above the average.

But it's noticeable that the amount of work I have to put in on my warrior to achieve the same results I get on my mesmer is substantially more. I have to be completely on the ball, all the time.

And for me it's the opposite.

For the results that I can achieve on Warrior, I have to put in way more work and attention with any other profession, except Reaper and Yolosmith (which I play the same way I play may warrior, just with more dps and more defensive capabilities).

That's why I love the simplicity of being an average Warrior enjoyer.

I am also hopelessly addicted to hambow

I don't think there is anything bad about being a Hambow, I started as one myself.

But now I'm more of an axe person in general, so I'm happy GW2's Warrior axes now feel so much better to use than they did at launch.

Edited by Fueki.4753

Oh don't get me wrong, I run axe/axe zerk and double dagger SB in alternate build/gear slots for when hambow won't cut it. And SB in particular is substantially easier to play than hambow.

But they're still less satisfying than hambow.

The hammer on warrior in GW2 just has so much heft to it, and while they've been nerfed into the ground, I love the concept of the synergies and utility hambow skills and traits offer.

Note that I mostly play solo open world, with an occasional foray in to WvW. And I never play instanced content beyond story instances.

Like I say, far from expert 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

To master warrior,

If you talk about mastering yeah it's hard just like mastering every class. 

But if you talk about playing at a decent acceptable level in every area of the game (except PvP these days), it's easy, at least compared to other classes.

• Like 1

mesmers and its variations is macro-ed..

rangers and its variations use immob, pew pew and condi, more immob, pewpew condi, more immob pewpew condi..

and there's some lelz software add-on that they use that will make your damage towards them reduced by almost 80% without even damage reduction boons and they're even medium armor with glass cannon damage..

you died? move on. nothing embarassing happened..

and this "i has stick. i smash" mentality is from fake lelz "Vikings". go to the feudalist japan and look how feudal lords settle disputes in less than 2 minutes...

Edited by alcopaul.2156

On 8/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mungrul.9358 said:

It's HARD.

essentially, playing Warrior is playing the game on hard mode, 

Playing other classes is playing the game on easy/medium 

Playing Scourge is playing the game on story supreme easy mode 

I should really try Scourge or one of the easy mode Guard builds. But after playing warrior, I find a lot of other professions, while more effective, to be less engaging to play. A lot of them these days seem to be about firing off skills in a rotation and repeating ad nauseam, which is what I thought GW2 was originally made to get away from.

As a warrior, I don't regard my skills as a rotation; I see them as different tools for different situations, and I have to pay attention to make sure I'm putting them to best use*.

Like, Soulbeast puts out a ridiculous amount of damage and is stupidly easy to play. But it's so boring having mained warrior for so long.

I think that's why I like Mesmer as my second main. It's engaging enough to keep my on my toes and it has that swiss-army knife feel to its skillset that I so love about warrior. But at the same time, it's just bit easier to do hard content with than my warrior.

Don't get me wrong, it took me ages to come up with a Mirage build that properly worked for me. But once I got there, it's been plain sailing with far less difficulty spikes than my warrior.

I do have a lot of admiration for good Ele players mind you. There's just too much going on there for me to be comfortable with, and I find their skills don't have the same heft to them that Warrior skills do. So even when I find an Ele build that I'm relatively comfortable with, I struggle to stay engaged.

But someone who groks Ele and all its possibilities? Yeah, I can appreciate that.

*I think that's what annoyed me when ANet took the easy route in game design and ended up implementing break-bars for challenging enemies. Suddenly, you lost a lot of the nuance associated with weapons like hammer or mace, and they just became a means of reducing a blue bar. You're back to the bad old GW1 days of watching bars rather than the game itself.

Sure, CC is always a hard thing to balance. But this just seemed like a cop-out.

And to this day, these weapons (and similarly, skills like Bull's Charge) suffer in effectiveness when compared to axe, sword and greatsword, thanks to half of their functionality disappearing when fighting challenging enemies.

Edited by Mungrul.9358