Necro Elite Spec: The Harbinger

Xanhawk.3806

2 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

That would have never been the case, because elite spec weapons are not manadatory and don't directly interact with the profession mechanic.

This is still gw2, you are still able to equip other weapons.

Doesn't holo sword interact with overheat? And exclusively at that.

Edited by Wintermute.5408
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wintermute.5408 said:

Doesn't holo sword interact with overheat? And exclusively at that.

Sword gets better with heat, but heat doesn't benefit from sword. You can't be a holosmith without heat, but you can be a holosmith without sword. It's the same with the utility skills, only exceeds benefit from heat, their old skills don't.

The bullet F1-5 idea assumes all harbringers would carry a pistol. Or it would have to manifest a pistol when you use your F skills. And in any case, this just sounds like Virtuoso coloured green, is that really what would please necro players? 

Considering how we already have people complaining about elixirs, even though reusing old skill types is the basis of elite specs, I would have to say no.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294

7 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

That would have never been the case, because elite spec weapons are not manadatory and don't directly interact with the profession mechanic.

This is still gw2, you are still able to equip other weapons.

I realize that the equipped weapons have nothing/little to do with the class mechanic.  However, they could have made the class mechanic "Death Revolver" (or something) whereby you got bullets instead of a life force meter and you could expend those bullets to activate F1-5 skills.  Regardless of what weapon you had.  Probably would have been more interesting, but we'll see.

Just because the weapon and the mechanic don't need to be used together doesn't mean they couldn't have had some synergy.  (Take Revenant -- their weapons have synergy with the Legends, but you can still use Hammer without Dwarf and vice versa.)  If nothing else, it would have at least justified the choice of Pistol.  As it is, the video looks like "This is for Necromancers who have thought of trying Engi but don't want to have more than 1 character". 

I'm still hoping it's better than it looks, but my first impression is "meh".

9 minutes ago, Crikk.3854 said:

I realize that the equipped weapons have nothing/little to do with the class mechanic.  However, they could have made the class mechanic "Death Revolver" (or something) whereby you got bullets instead of a life force meter and you could expend those bullets to activate F1-5 skills.  Regardless of what weapon you had.  Probably would have been more interesting, but we'll see.

Just because the weapon and the mechanic don't need to be used together doesn't mean they couldn't have had some synergy.  (Take Revenant -- their weapons have synergy with the Legends, but you can still use Hammer without Dwarf and vice versa.)  If nothing else, it would have at least justified the choice of Pistol.  As it is, the video looks like "This is for Necromancers who have thought of trying Engi but don't want to have more than 1 character". 

I'm still hoping it's better than it looks, but my first impression is "meh".

Revenant weapons don't have any more direct synergy than "Mallyx does condi damage, so does mace". It's not like mace in any way improves Mallyx' skills or the other way around. Heck, it's more often that the weapons are used to fill the gaps of legends, like for example, Ventari is all about group support, so staff gives you some personal survivability which the legend lacks. Or Jalis is the "tank" legend, but hammer is a ranged weapon. 

And like I said, your idea is just Virtuoso coloured green. Gain charges, shoot projectiles.

18 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Sword gets better with heat, but heat doesn't benefit from sword. You can't be a holosmith without heat, but you can be a holosmith without sword. It's the same with the utility skills, only exceeds benefit from heat, their old skills don't.

The bullet F1-5 idea assumes all harbringers would carry a pistol. Or it would have to manifest a pistol when you use your F skills. And in any case, this just sounds like Virtuoso coloured green, is that really what would please necro players? 

Considering how we already have people complaining about elixirs, even though reusing old skill types is the basis of elite specs, I would have to say no.

Extremely weird that core weapons don't benefit from heat btw.

Mirage ambush mechanic: all old weapons get new ambush skills to work with it.

Berserker new burst skills: every weapon gets new burst skills added.

Weaver with new dual skill mechanic: all old weapons get new dual wield skills.

Holosmith? Just sword profits from heat, all other weapons don't. I don't get the logic behind this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Pistols are not good for wvw. /shakes head

After the scourge treatment with it's nerfathon. /shakes head

But I need to see more and play it before passing judgement.

Unless of course this is based on broken scrapper with pistols and flasks, then bring it on.

Considering it already has 2 especs that perform extremely well in large scale WvW, I would say it is very welcome for Necro to have something different. It is more likely to be a better roamer which I am sure a bunch of Necros would be thrilled about. But yes, time will tell I suppose.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wintermute.5408 said:

Looks like another melee shroud. The third one -_-

I'm a bit dissappoint. Still looks cool though.

Third? You mean second?

Death Shroud is purely ranged. Reapers Shroud is melee. Desert Shroud isn’t actually a shroud, but a single ability, and even then it deals damage not only at your location but at your shades’ locations… desert is not a melee shroud.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Extremely weird that core weapons don't benefit from heat btw.

Mirage ambush mechanic: all old weapons get new ambush skills to work with it.

Berserker new burst skills: every weapon gets new burst skills added.

Weaver with new dual skill mechanic: all old weapons get new dual wield skills.

Holosmith? Just sword profits from heat, all other weapons don't. I don't get the logic behind this.

Because holosmith's mechanic is the Photon Forge, a whole new row of skill. There was no need for the heat bonus gimmick to begin with.

Mirage on the other hand would just be mesmer with a different dodge if it didn't have ambush skills.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hagion.1086 said:

TBH I was expecting a Van Hellsing necro with pistols and forbidden elixirs...then  shrouded into a savage beast like the kind of creatures his hunt...but apparently he is a drunk undead monk?!

I'm not sure I like the backflippy anime aspect of it, meanwhile people only talk about that and not the pistols or blight or elixirs. 🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

• Death Shroud is garbage because Necromancers can use Daggers?
  • Jade colored Shroud is garbage because keeping the class' main color is... garbage?
  • Rotating Marks are garbage because in reality they are undercover re-dyed Guardian Mantras?
  • Berserker is super garbage because of already existing stat set?
  • Elixirs are garbage even though existing Utilities have been given to other classes since HoT?
  • Bonus: Jade is garbage because of Shiro on Revenant?

You also might want to re-check facts on Shouts. Although I don't even know how this affects Harbinger? Salty about Reaper as well? But Reaper is garbage anyway because of Soul Reaping and Shouts being on Warriors and Guardian? Is that the sentiment?

I mean... everyone can be salty at times and it is your right to personally be disappointed by the Harbinger teaser. However, when reading about the issues you see with it, I honestly wonder what you were hoping for?

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
I'm not saying jade sucks, I'm just saying it's déjà vu look at the shroud it's just the basic shroud in green, or the new fractal infusion in green.
Could we get any better after waiting 5 years!
It's visually poor.

yeah I'm salty!
Because it's been 4 years soon 5 in 2022 and we have an extension and we find ourselves with no major feature that changes the world of GW2

As a reminder,
the 1st expansion is hang gliding, anomaly line, airstreams >> 3D gameplay. 
It changes your way of doing all the current and previous content.
2nd extension mounts, it changes your way of doing all the current and previous content.
And the 3rd expansion, we have a 2 place mount, even if it will be great, it's not content of an expansion, it's open world like skyscale or Roller Beetle.
And the fishing, same it's a side content that could have happened to any (with the map of drakkar, we have done nothing but collect fish to get a skin of staff fishing) which patch as the increase of the kitchen, the change on the mystic forge or other.
Ancient magic, same as unbound magic and other open world mastery not expansion.

All this to say, there is nothing currently that is a feature worthy of the other 2 expansions and the only hype is

specialization and even that they are doing a rehash, they use assets that date back 9 years for an expansion of 2022.
When you look at the work of GW2's rivals in terms of visuals, but they did a huge job while here we have the same thing as 9 years ago

And for the shouts out of heal, they are almost all instant or at 1/4 of second + quickness thus instant.
("Shake It Off!","On My Mark!","For Great Justice!","Fear Me!", "Stand Your Ground!", "Save Yourselves!","Retreat!","Hold the Line!","Feel the Burn!","Eye of the Storm!","Suffer!","Rise!" >> instant
"Rebound!", "Flash-Freeze!",Aftershock!","Feel My Wrath!" +quickness = instant)
The necro 1s1/4 for 1 skill, youpi. you have time to be interrupted 4 times

I love this game and its universe, and it has so much potential and when you see that it's a waste.
Then they still have 6 months to improve it...

• Confused 5

Looks fun. Interested in what exactly Blight does.

My bet is that using Shroud skills generates Blight and Blight damages the Life Force pool, but I don't think it will actually damage health. If it does affect health, it will be temporarily reducing max health.

OH of choice for the preview is a dagger so Blight could be an uncleansable condition and do something else if applied to enemy..

Having doubts if Pistol can replace Scepter, but it could be the option for second weaponset or an alternative to Staff.

There is a lot of Poison-related SFX so it should roll well with Death Magic?

Edited by Rym.1469

1 hour ago, Ragi.7291 said:

And for the shouts out of heal, they are almost all instant or at 1/4 of second + quickness thus instant.

("Shake It Off!","On My Mark!","For Great Justice!","Fear Me!", "Stand Your Ground!", "Save Yourselves!","Retreat!","Hold the Line!","Feel the Burn!","Eye of the Storm!","Suffer!","Rise!" >> instant
"Rebound!", "Flash-Freeze!",Aftershock!","Feel My Wrath!" +quickness = instant)
The necro 1s1/4 for 1 skill, youpi. you have time to be interrupted 4 times

Which other shout is an AoE stun?

Maybe the other classes should complain because Reaper's heal shout has the shortest cast time out of all heal shouts. 🙄🦥

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Third? You mean second?

Death Shroud is purely ranged. Reapers Shroud is melee. Desert Shroud isn’t actually a shroud, but a single ability, and even then it deals damage not only at your location but at your shades’ locations… desert is not a melee shroud.

Deaht shroud is "yeah we're kinda range but you really need to faceplant into an enemy for max damage, and here's S2 to help". Unless i missed a rework over those years? Been a while since i touched vanillamancer.