Necro Elite Spec: The Harbinger

Xanhawk.3806

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Let's just say that both the leap forward and the roll backward are utility skills and there is no movement skills on pistol and "shroud skills". That make 0 increase in mobility.

Sure, at first glance, as we don't know of the specificities of these skills, it feel more engaging to use than the current options of the necromancer (dark path, death sharge, spectral walk, flesh wurm, march of undeath, sand swell). But it doesn't mean that there is "more".

For all we know, the movement skill could be a single glyph that make you leap forward while used "in shroud" and roll backward while used "out of shroud" with a shared 30+s CD. People assume that the utilities are elixirs, but nothing say it is, the elixirs could very well be shroud specific skills.

Elixirs are the utility skills. You can see that the character is not in shroud when she drinks the elixir (no shroud aura on her and she's holding the gun). The elixir gives her a green aura around her feet (presumably this is the visual effect of blight). There's no way they are using the word "elixir", which is an existing skill type, if harbinger doesn't have elixirs. They could have said potions, concoctions, etc.

All mobility skills are used while in shroud. There are 2 different ones, one is the Shield Bash animation, the other is the acrobatic flip,. The backroll looks more like a regular dodge, than an actual skill.

And the narrations would have to be intentionally misleading if you were correct. It says they use elixirs to inflict blight on themselves, then in harbinger shroud they gain devastating abilities when suffering from blight. So, elixirs cannot be shroud skills, it would be backwards.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, GeneralBM.5781 said:

You use an example that literally highlights a greater mobility for the harbinger. Rev hammer 3 is worse mobility since you end where you start, harbinger seems to actually end up at their target location. And if the skill is indeed similar in range to rev Hammer 3, then it beats out previous shroud mobility skills like reaper shroud 2 for sure (even core shroud 2 if we assume it won't be projectile based)

I'm also confused how you imply 'teleports' don't translate to mobility, we saying teefs are just out here walking regular speed now?

Even by your definition of 'movement freedom', the freedom to move your char and get that mf that's 1200 range away (again going off hammer 3 range assumption) would still count as respectable mobility. 

Because a few animations in a promo video does not make a class 'mobile'. Again, my point here is some people getting ready to 'welcome' Harbringer as a 'mobility' class ... from animations from a video. That's a LITTLE much wouldn't you say? People need to temper their expectations ... otherwise the threads next week will be:

>OMG Anet where did our mobility on Harbringer go?

Well, MAYBE it was never there in the FIRST place. To be clear, I saw a WHOLE TWO animations in there that appears to be skills while using the shroud. One resembled Rev Hammer 3 and the other resembled Bull's Charge from Warrior. From my perspective, we don't have enough information to start getting excited Harbringer is the big pile of mobility necro PVP players have been after for many years. 

Really, I think we are just going to get different, but not more (because condi ranged builds don't really need mobility to the extent of melee direct DPS ones). To be frank, if Harbringer doesn't come with stability, lots of stunbreaks and lots of cleansing, then it's going to be a pretty bad mobility spec IMO. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I hope this is a shroud that drains HP instead of being a second health bar.

That said it, definitely sucks that Necromancers get the elite specialization that many Engineers asked for.

Necromancers not getting the bullet icon also sucks, because this means there is going another pistol (or rifle) specialization.

I just hope it's neither Warrior or Elementalist. They need something better than that.

Pretty sure the bullet is guardian. Also engies alrdy have alchemy and elixirs so that would be a redundant elite spec for them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Acyk.9671 said:

Well you seem to forget there is close to no mobility on necro so if we get only 2 that's still more than what reaper or scourge got.

OK ... I'm not forgetting any of that ... I'm just saying we don't have enough information to convince ourselves we are getting all this mobility, even if it's more than what we get. I mean, again, how do you define mobility? I can just see the QQ threads next week from the people that convinced themselves Harbiringer was a 'mobility' spec when I didn't see or read much to indicate it is. 

On the other hand, if you want to see what a real mobility-based epsec teaser looks like ... check out Guardian. Then come back and tell me I'm wrong about Harbringer OK 😉

Edited by Obtena.7952

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Because a few animations in a promo video does not make a class 'mobile'. Again, my point here is some people getting ready to 'welcome' Harbringer as a 'mobility' class ... from animations from a video. That's a LITTLE much wouldn't you say? People need to temper their expectations ... otherwise the threads next week will be:

I had interpreted the general harbinger sentiment as being "more mobile" as opposed to being a "mobility spec". As in more substantial than previous shroud options, but still not on something like a teef level of mobility. (But this could be a difference in opinion based on how jaded you are on the levels of copium the gw2 community has been dosing lately)

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, MAYBE it was never there in the FIRST place. To be clear, I saw a WHOLE TWO animations in there that appears to be skills while using the shroud. One resembled Rev Hammer 3 and the other resembled Bull's Charge from Warrior. From my perspective, we don't have enough information to start getting excited Harbringer is the big pile of mobility necro PVP players have been after for many years. 

Lol this is what I mean. You're debunking arguments & complaints that haven't been made yet. It's not healthy for your miiiiind broo🖖

Like weren't people only excited about the better mobility of strictly those "WHOLE TWO animations"? unless i'm mistaken people aren't championing 'mobility' across the entire spec, they only see pretty retooled rev animation (it definitely looks a little lazy with the green cloud following below the char lol) and like how far it goes. 

But hey if those complaints do ever come, go crush their meta-think then. I'll even link them your posts 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Extremely weird that core weapons don't benefit from heat btw.

Mirage ambush mechanic: all old weapons get new ambush skills to work with it.

Berserker new burst skills: every weapon gets new burst skills added.

Weaver with new dual skill mechanic: all old weapons get new dual wield skills.

Holosmith? Just sword profits from heat, all other weapons don't. I don't get the logic behind this.

Because you already get 5 brand new skill with the forge, mirage and berserker don't have that. If you want heat interaction with all of your main hand weapon, then why not give mirage and berserker a transformation with 5 new skills to play with as well, it's only fair.

12 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I think you havent paid attention to what this round of Especs is supposed to be about. To 'break' the rules for a class. Like Mesmers losing clones and getting summonable swords. 

Ah yes, because lossing an ammo that dies before doing damage and gaining an ammo that get reflected back at your face while doing the exact same thing as the old ammo is so rule breaking!

• Xanhawk.3806 changed the title to Necro Elite Spec: The Harbinger

Stolen from reddit. Sounds cool. Give it up for extremely creative way of calling necro no-skill.

Harbinger:

The harbinger borrows a dash of old west gunslinger, and mixes it with a splash of wandering apothecary, expressed by their elixir skills and related support traits. The result is a fast-paced, frenetic combat style that rewards skill, risk, and biting off exactly as much as you can chew (but no more) while subverting the traditional, more methodically-paced gameplay of Necromancer.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wintermute.5408 said:

Stolen from reddit. Sounds cool. Give it up for extremely creative way of calling necro no-skill.

Harbinger:

The harbinger borrows a dash of old west gunslinger, and mixes it with a splash of wandering apothecary, expressed by their elixir skills and related support traits. The result is a fast-paced, frenetic combat style that rewards skill, risk, and biting off exactly as much as you can chew (but no more) while subverting the traditional, more methodically-paced gameplay of Necromancer.

You know that those kind of descriptions only hold as long as players have the spec in hands. I'm pretty sure after the few test days, the community will be very vocal on how OP and brainless the e-specs are.

• Haha 1

All I'm hoping for is that this next spec has access to boon prevention like with Spellbreaker's elite. The stupid amount of boons people can dump out now without having to ever sacrifice damage, health, defense, or utility is dumb. Most builds outpace necro's ability to rip/corrupt by miles that even trying to build boon hate is just a joke now. 

1 hour ago, SummonMinion.7306 said:

All I'm hoping for is that this next spec has access to boon prevention like with Spellbreaker's elite. The stupid amount of boons people can dump out now without having to ever sacrifice damage, health, defense, or utility is dumb. Most builds outpace necro's ability to rip/corrupt by miles that even trying to build boon hate is just a joke now. 

I think it's rather unlikely we get a SECOND spec focused on boon hate don't you?

Edited by Obtena.7952

The dress of the Asura harbinger looks to be inspired by Korean clothes, particularly the hat (Gat), although don't think real ones include a plume.

I wonder if they have taken different moves from different traditions of martial arts for each profession with the Harbinger being inspired by Korean martial arts.

Well i'm glad to see that a new shroud is coming.. I never did care for Scourge getting rid of that and I still don't.
And I like the idea of Necro's getting another Ranged option even if the choice of weapon is a bit meh.

Thematically.. I'm not feeling this new spec at all if i'm being honest.
It doesn't feel like a Necromancer to me, feels more like an Engineer with Death Magic and I don't care for that at all.

But it's no biggie, I still have Reaper and Core Necro so I'll just stick with those.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Really, I think we are just going to get different, but not more (because condi ranged builds don't really need mobility to the extent of melee direct DPS ones). To be frank, if Harbringer doesn't come with stability, lots of stunbreaks and lots of cleansing, then it's going to be a pretty bad mobility spec IMO. 

Who said it was going to be a "mobility spec" or "mobile class" though? 

Yea, we saw just two skills on the spec including player movement, that would make it a more mobile Necro, not a mobility anything compared to anything else - but that can still be appreciated. 

Core has one port that needs to be setup via Dark Path and is targeted only. Reaper has one short range dash with no airtime (important to skip over terrain), and Scourge has a slow Portal utility skill suffering from terrain restrictions to cast. 

Beyond that there is a Fleshwurm that needs to be setup, and Spectral Walk which allows a port back in form of setup.

Potentially getting two skills akin to Bull's Charge/Phase Traversal as well as Wing's of Resolve, while not a "big pile of mobility" would be absolutely unprecedented for Necro

This at least seems more mobile than any Necro preview before, but ofc it's still wait and see - but stop arguing with phantoms. 

Nobody said it way going to beat any other class in mobility, just that it seems to have more mobility for a Necro. 

45 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Well i'm glad to see that a new shroud is coming.. I never did care for Scourge getting rid of that and I still don't.

Keep in mind Scourge has a Shroud too with Desert Shroud, something that is essentially needed in terms of termonilogy for Trait interactions - that doesn't necessarily mean or even make it likely that it will be a traditional Shroud again for Harbinger.

43 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

Keep in mind Scourge has a Shroud too with Desert Shroud, something that is essentially needed in terms of termonilogy for Trait interactions - that doesn't necessarily mean or even make it likely that it will be a traditional Shroud again for Harbinger.

I don't really consider that one a proper shroud even if it does share the name.
You get barrier instead of a lifeforce health bar and you don't get a set of weapon skills with it so it's not the same to me.
Feels more like a big preparation skill really, set up shades and trigger them to pulse while gaining a barrier.

Shroud has to at least come with unique weapon skills and feel like a transformation form for me to really consider it a shroud.
Desert Shroud didn't do that.

23 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I don't really consider that one a proper shroud even if it does share the name.
You get barrier instead of a lifeforce health bar and you don't get a set of weapon skills with it so it's not the same to me.
Feels more like a big preparation skill really, set up shades and trigger them to pulse while gaining a barrier.

Shroud has to at least come with unique weapon skills and feel like a transformation form for me to really consider it a shroud.
Desert Shroud didn't do that.

My point wasn't that Desert Shroud is a traditional Shroud, but rather that Harbinger Shroud might not be either. 

Maybe this time around it does get it's own skill bar again, but as a first not replaced or fueled by Life Force, more akin to Holo's Photon Forge, but rather than managing Heat, it's called Blight - with a similar benefit and risk relationship to having more Heat/Blight.

Just something to keep in mind.

Edited by Asum.4960