Necro Elite Spec: The Harbinger

Xanhawk.3806

Just now, Dadnir.5038 said:

A bit disappointed that it's torment yet again but, the spec look both very different than the common necromancer and very strong in damage and support (It will probably need some tuning down in support).

One thought I had during the description is that Harbinger will play very differently and I will probably cause my own death a few time until I figure it out.

• Like 2

In the competitive modes CPC and Well of Darkness will be extremely valuable for that spec.

And except against longbow rangers and deadeyes you will use the 2 shroud mobility skills defensively (cast them away from the target) to stay at range to spam the autoattack.

• Like 1

Will wait to test this next week - but the self-damage (not talking about typical Necro self-application of Condis, talking about immediate damage to health) is not something I think will work well in WvW/PvP. 

Holosmith can self-damage if they wait too long and they overheat. But only the Necro class has the ability to almost down themselves without any enemy around. How is this a good design?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Anchoku.8142 said:

One thought I had during the description is that Harbinger will play very differently and I will probably cause my own death a few time until I figure it out.

Yeah, I was surprised by the low amount of health the healing skill give (below 2k on 25s CD) but I thought that, counting blight that can reduce your health by 50% these 2k can make quite the difference when you've grown back your health to 100%.

I didn't catch whether the shroud have the 2nd health bar or not thought...

32 minutes ago, xXAbagrionXx.6275 said:

The elixirs/ potions look awesome. Torment? No thanks get rid of that. Geez. First we get scourge with torment and then they nerf torment and now another torment spec. 

Well, I would like to see how this works with the Superior Rune of Tormenting. Be interesting to see if the upcoming Balance Patch is going to modify that Rune (I mean it gives you health when you apply torment, and Harbinger seems to have a lot of Torment).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, misterman.1530 said:

Will wait to test this next week - but the self-damage (not talking about typical Necro self-application of Condis, talking about immediate damage to health) is not something I think will work well in WvW/PvP. 

Holosmith can self-damage if they wait too long and they overheat. But only the Necro class has the ability to almost down themselves without any enemy around. How is this a good design?

There is no self damage you just reduce your maximum health by up to 50%. It's interesting because it should work quite well with blood bank and the "big heals" that are on the necromancer's tool kit

Just now, Dadnir.5038 said:

There is no self damage you just reduce your maximum health by up to 50%. It's interesting because it should work quite well with blood bank and the "big heals" that are on the necromancer's tool kit

Wait. There's a 50% limit. Didn't hear him mention that.

I'm super excited for this e-spec. It looks fast-paced, I enjoy torment (mostly because of the runes), and it's been fun to think about it working with other traitlines. 

3 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Yeah, I was surprised by the low amount of health the healing skill give (below 2k on 25s CD) but I thought that, counting blight that can reduce your health by 50% these 2k can make quite the difference when you've grown back your health to 100%.

I didn't catch whether the shroud have the 2nd health bar or not thought...

Harbinger Shroud doesn't act like a second health bar. You'll still take HP damage while in shroud. 

3 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

Wait. There's a 50% limit. Didn't hear him mention that.

25 Blight is 50% HP when they did the initial explanation. It's sustained reduction not flat damage like from an attack, so you're not gonna die even if the blight goes beyond 50%, at worst you can end up with 1HP like a walking twig. But they did say it's capped at 50%

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923

6 minutes ago, SkyCakeLight.3750 said:

Harbinger Shroud doesn't act like a second health bar. You'll still take HP damage while in shroud. 

Thanks! English isn't my native langage and the sound of my computer wasn't at it's best so I wasn't sure whether he talked about it or not.

7 minutes ago, SkyCakeLight.3750 said:

I'm super excited for this e-spec. It looks fast-paced, I enjoy torment (mostly because of the runes), and it's been fun to think about it working with other traitlines. 

Just keep in mind that the dev used the abilities without their cool down, it made it look fast paced.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

2 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

25 Blight is 50% HP when they did the initial explanation. It's sustained reduction not flat damage like from an attack, so you're not gonna die even if the blight goes beyond 50%, at worst you can end up with 1HP like a walking twig. But they did say it's capped at 50%

Thanks! I must have missed it when he said that.

15 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Just keep in mind that the dev used the abilities without their cool down, it made it look fast paced.

Of course! I wasn't really referring to the cooldowns. We did see that Harbinger Shroud has an 8 second CD, though. I meant more-so the quick drinking, not a lot of cast times, and the two movement abilities.

Edit: And, I meant relative to other Necromancer playstyles rather than to other classes. Good thing to keep in mind, though! 

Edited by SkyCakeLight.3750

Deathly Haste is definitely going to be nerfed.
2.25s of pulsing Quickness with a 3 second cooldown... 
He mentioned on stream that currently he had about 37% Boon Duration so seeing that skill on someone with Diviner's gear would be interesting to just build up enough concentration to have perma quickness then go for DPS.

The blight mechanic as a risk-reward system for damage for necro is very nice. However, the loss of the inherent damage reduction and second health bar for your shroud mechanic is concerning. Necro's lack of active defense was compensated for the "face tank with hp" concept but Harbinger doesn't bring any active or scalable defense to make up for this. Hopefully the 2 movement skills in shroud and overall greater cc access makes up for this. I'm excited to test this out in actual combat.

Sidenote: WOW the healing & LF values on that healing skill are TINY. It's like a worse reaper's heal shout with vigor. Really hoping those values aren't real seeing as the skill also applies vitality reduction with blight (-10% temporarily).

Pvp wise it seems like it is going to play very differently. I am not sure with blight, and no damage reduction on shroud it is going to work as a teamfighter. Maybe as a +1. I am wondering where the sustain is, are the movement skills enough? If it has massive damage, it seems like it could be a high skill cap spec compared to other necro specs.

Pve wise it seems like it will bring more than other necro specs to a team.