Virtuoso's official description seems a little deceptive.

Daniel Handler.4816

“The Mesmer is normally known for deviousness, trickery, and complexity, creating illusions to distract enemies and then ‘shattering’ them to various effect. Weaving telekinesis and the Canthan martial traditions of the blade into a wholly new style of fast and active combat, the virtuoso changes this by disregarding trickery and embracing all-out offense, using their magic to summon enchanted blades, which they wield telekinetically for immensely powerful attacks, or inflicting debilitating conditions.”

https://massivelyop.com/2021/08/12/guild-wars-2-reveals-the-guardians-new-elite-spec-willbender-plus-more-end-of-dragons-info/

It is definitely active combat, but I don't see what is fast about it? As far as I can tell it doesn't have any mobility, and everything has a cast time. Skills are either slow, or they look quick but the actual effect is pulsing slower. 

Like thousand cuts is actually 6, over 3 seconds. That's slower than a meteor shower. I guess you can't take visual trickery out of mesmer. 

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816
  • Confused 1

You think the marketing gurus at Anet are measuring skill executions and attack speeds to create their narrative? If you do, I would love to know how they determine Harbringer is more 'volatile' than other Necro specs. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

You think the marketing gurus at Anet are measuring skill executions and attack speeds to create their narrative? If you do, I would love to know how they determine Harbringer is more 'volatile' than other Necro specs. 

Maybe the implied health sacrifice mechanic? Hopefully virtuoso has some sort of speed in its traits. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

https://massivelyop.com/2021/08/12/guild-wars-2-reveals-the-guardians-new-elite-spec-willbender-plus-more-end-of-dragons-info/

It is definitely active combat, but I don't see what is fast about it? As far as I can tell it doesn't have any mobility, and everything has a cast time. Skills are either slow, or they look quick but the actual effect is pulsing slower. 

Like thousand cuts is actually 6, over 3 seconds. That's slower than a meteor shower. I guess you can't take visual trickery out of mesmer. 

So reading that description especially with the "telekinesis" thrown in there, reminds me of Psylocke in how her telekinesis is manifested as a Katana or Psychic Knife. However, with that said, it does make me question as to  why the only "psionic/telekinetic" skill we got was "Psychic Force" and then everything else just has to do with the blades. If it were me, I'd probably put Blade Renewal on F4 instead of having the block, convert Rain of Swords and Sword of Decimation into one skill, which then frees up 2 utility slots that can be something unique and more "Psychic-like." 

Just my opinion though 😄

• Like 1

At least in the description they were more honest than in the video where they named the CC capabilities as something relevant in the specialization lol.  The F3's daze has been there since the beginning of the profession and the single thing the Virtuoso adds is an inmobilization in a single utility skill...    The video only shows vulneravility as a relevant often applied condition. Looks like more a Domination 2.0 trait line than anything else. I only hope that they only used damage modifiers to show the highest damage and the rest of traits can add something more useful.

If you see the ammount of things the Virtuoso lacks in its skill kit and that you only have 3 selectable traits... figure. I wrote in other thread my idea of what is needed, at least, to make it useful and even compete in some role.  But every time I analyze it I am more pessimistic.

But there is no drama, maybe we have to accept the purpose it has.  If it was designed to farm PvE events and bring something new... it's ok. Even other content if the rest of the players/group/squad want to support and buff you. But don't try solo a bounty with it, solo hard content, roaming, sPvP,  or  go to content where other players want you to contribute with boons, etc.  😆😅 

The worst case scenario would be if it was designed this way not because of mesmers who wanted a competitive specialization without clones, but in order not to have to read any more complaints against mesmer's clones and its new specialization...  "As the saying goes... Sometimes... Think bad and you will be right."

I hope that tomorrow, at least, we will able to debate with more information once we watch the Virtuoso's traits.

Edited by Zoser.7245
Adding "/squad" : )
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You know the other specs currently look like they have more mobility then Virtuoso, whether its a kitten backflip leap, or a dash, it is so far outshining virtuoso. I dont know where they got the "fast active and active combat" from because I mean GW2 the game as a whole is active combat, and I dont know where the fast went.

Mesmer had mostly 1 mobility skill and that is Blink, it wasn't until Mirage was revealed that there was a ambush sword s1, illusionary ambush, and jaunt.

Essentially Virtuoso will be a Core Mesmer but no clones, you stealth burst and that is about it.

5 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Mesmer had mostly 1 mobility skill and that is Blink, it wasn't until Mirage was revealed that there was a ambush sword s1, illusionary ambush, and jaunt.

You're forgeting about staff's Phase retreat and sword's illusionary leap (which lead me to wonder how the sword's leap will work on virtuoso).

5 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

You're forgeting about staff's Phase retreat and sword's illusionary leap (which lead me to wonder how the sword's leap will work on virtuoso).

phase retreat is conditional as well as illusionary leap, unlike most other class weapon mobility which dont require a target and can be used according to where you want it to go, phase retreat you have to use it when you are being chased with an enemy behind so u can leap forward, as for as illusionary leap, this is a engage chase skill which is hilarious cuz it pretty much is garbage since release considering how buggy it is and almost never lands.

Blink, mirage ambush sword 1, and jaunt are the only unconditional mobility that mesmer has.

Edited by Salt Mode.3780

6 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

You know the other specs currently look like they have more mobility then Virtuoso, whether its a kitten backflip leap, or a dash, it is so far outshining virtuoso. I dont know where they got the "fast active and active combat" from because I mean GW2 the game as a whole is active combat, and I dont know where the fast went.

Essentially Virtuoso will be a Core Mesmer but no clones, you stealth burst and that is about it.

That's my opinion as well.

Even necro who is by default low mobility spec have mobility skills whereas virt have none.

Either we need some mobility skills or a good variety of reliable cc, not that trash melee knockback. SoD seems kind of fine.

As for the f cast time, only way I see around it is by either by quickness sigils or furious interruption.

But F cast time is due to the whining that shatters shouldn't be instant, once again ANerf caved in to qq.

19 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

phase retreat is conditional as well as illusionary leap, unlike most other class weapon mobility which dont require a target and can be used according to where you want it to go, phase retreat you have to use it when you are being chased with an enemy behind so u can leap forward, as for as illusionary leap, this is a engage chase skill which is hilarious cuz it pretty much is garbage since release considering how buggy it is and almost never lands.

Blink, mirage ambush sword 1, and jaunt are the only unconditional mobility that mesmer has.

Phase retreat is unconditional. If you don't have a target chosen, it'll port you away from whichever direction you're facing.

I'd guess the way it'll work is the same way it does now, except that if you're in combat, it'll generate a dagger instead of a clone.

Illusionary leap is a bit harder to predict. Might still be a chain, where the first activation creates a dagger, and the second leaps in. Or you might just leap in and get a dagger in the same action.

18 hours ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Maybe the implied health sacrifice mechanic? Hopefully virtuoso has some sort of speed in its traits. 

My point is that I don't think anyone should read too much into the descriptive language here. What does 'fast-paced' even mean? It's just vague and likely based on simply listening to people talk, not looking at skills and concluding there are 'speed' effects on them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

So where are the "debilitating conditions"?
Just SoD...

A spec that supposely has to stay ranged to be effective has one cc.
Specs with absolutely nuts mobility have like 3 or 4.

Did 13/08 became April's fools or something?

don't forget you are actually supposed to stay within 600 range, half of the range of every single skill!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Just SoD...

What do you mean "has to stay ranged"?  The game wants us at 600 range or closer for point blank shotgun blasts. You're gonna stand on the pve particle blob and like it, mister!

Just when I thought they were going to start to break out of meleewars2😞

Edited by Roda.7468
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:54 PM, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

fast and active was related to classic mesmer, virtuoso changes that to dumbed down, slowed down and boring chaincasting of recycled skills of other classers, covered by fancy animations to blind the masses.

Edited by JazzXman.7018
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Just SoD...

This! How are we supposed to kite Harbinger, Willbender, the rest of thief/ran/war/rev specs? Plus the gap closers that everyone else has compared to Mesmer. I don't see how we are going to catch and land hits on anything besides PVE mobs. The other specs have full builds with their trait lines but it feels like Mesmer relies too much on the other kits. That doesn't sound elite to me at all.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FranzM.1298 said:

This! How are we supposed to kite Harbinger, Willbender, the rest of thief/ran/war/rev specs? Plus the gap closers that everyone else has compared to Mesmer. I don't see how we are going to catch and land hits on anything besides PVE mobs. The other specs have full builds with their trait lines but it feels like Mesmer relies too much on the other kits. That doesn't sound elite to me at all.

What do you mean kite? Come on, get your job right, you're clearly a just easy food to farm by everyone else

• Like 4