Realistic expectations on legendary

I dont have any legendary items, I have a little over 100 gold atm. I would like to start a legendary but i dont have a clue what one would be the cheapest to get, and how to make the gold to get it. I did start predator but have run into issues on that one, i also have slumbering in the start. I do have about 200LI some of the the open world raid leggy cheeves, a bunch of skirmish chests I have not opened and wvw stuff. I find the biggest block to be gold, I just can never make gold. people say do metas but I try and barely find groups. i play after 8pm central so its hard to find people. What path would be best to focus on for a legendary in my case?

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Confused 2

• Xanadrine.4352 changed the title to Realistic expectations on legendary

Why not try Aurora and Vision first?

You basically get a lot of mats just by doing the required achievements for them.

The rest you can do with gold farming and buying off TP.

Those two are very straightforward, just take a lot of time, and because of that, you get a lot of gold and stuff in the process back.

Plus they're useful on all your characters now.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

Do you do the dailies?  2 G per day, easy to do.  If you start one Legendary or Prescursor, switch to another, and another, gold will be wasted unless you craft all of them eventually.  Pick one and stick with it (unless you absolutely, positively can't stand it), and check out the crafting path for it at GW2Efficiency.com .  That will tell you in a very straightforward way what steps to take and in what order, and whether each step is cheaper to buy or craft.

• Thanks 1

Easiest legendary would be ad infinitum,. You get multiple skins before the legendary and also doing fractal gets you gold.  It also does not require gift of battle or mystic coins (though mystic clovers). Also if IIRC, it only requires completion of 1 t4 fractal (Mai Trinn). Fractals also give you gold to get other legendaries.

Only problem is the agony resist required but not too many of the collections require that high scale anyways. Fractals also give ascended gear, and if you don't have ascended gear, you should work on that instead of legendaries.

Also sell material storage? Sell everything that does not explicitly relate to the legendary you are making like lodestones, cooking materials, or basic crafting materials. For obvious reasons you want to keep the t6s. You can also use laurels to get the t3s-t6s often required for legendaries.

You can use Gw2 efficiency to easily find out you can sell for profit.

Finally, if you truly don't want to do anything difficult, you can make gold with alt-parking: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/alt-parking

I don't actually farm for gold mostly. I just sell material at good times. For example, the early part of a new festival usually has some high in-demand drops (such as trick or treat bags) that skyrocket at the start so just sell them all early. Alternative, something new comes out and everyone wants to craft, making whatever materials sell for more.

This would be a good resource https://www.gw2bltc.com/

Personally, I think getting good sales on the TP and getting gold is much faster and efficient than trying to penny pinch whatever out of drops. Which is why I think micromanaging stuff like what to do with green drops with rune crafting or vendoring individual items to be a horrific waste of time. It's much more important to move faster since gold can be made anywhere but you can't get your time back.

And no I don't bother flipping stuff on the TP. Just putting in sell orders a bit under the top instead of selling instantly works wonders. Or putting in a bunch of buy orders in advance.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Unless you have a metric ton of materials in the bank so you can basicly build it for free, I would say dont even consider a legendary until you have at least a thousand gold in the bank or you'll run out in an instant. And if it's one thing that will put you off playing, it's having no gold at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Unless you have a metric ton of materials in the bank so you can basicly build it for free, I would say dont even consider a legendary until you have at least a thousand gold in the bank or you'll run out in an instant. And if it's one thing that will put you off playing, it's having no gold at all.

I think this might be personal preference rather than an absolute rule.

Every time I've started making a legendary I've had less than 100g and I don't think I had enough materials to use/sell to cover everything I need but it never bothered me because I know it's going to be a long process no matter what and that means I'll have time to get more gold and more materials. I always leave the expensive part (Gift of Fortune, Mystic Tribute or whatever) until last for exactly that reason.

Also on many occasions I've had no gold at all, at least 3 times I've gotten down to literally 0g 0s 0c in my wallet and it's never put me off playing, it just means I have to be careful about what I'm spending until I build it up again. (Admittedly one of those times it was the fees for listing stuff for sale on the TP which used the last of my coin, so I knew all I had to do was wait to get it back.)

I just don't see gold as a goal in it's own right, it's a tool to use to get things which are useful to me, keeping it unspent just means I may as well not have it.

Hmm...8PM Central is 6PM Pacific, and I always find lots of players on at that time. It's only an hour after reset. You should not have trouble finding players on maps.

At that time, you should not have trouble doing the events that each award 2 (or more) Gold. 

Check the Event Timer to know when events will start.

Good luck.

Find out about the special mats you need, see where they come from, then incorporate their sources into your play. Like amalgamated gemstones: you need a bunch, abd they come from lots of expansion daily metas. Check the event timer wiki page, get an idea of what metas you want to follow (Chak Gerent followed by Auric is popular) and then go take part. You make gold along the way, you get the necessary materials, and you get bonus stuff, like salvageable gear, stuff to sell on the to, or maybe even skins, as well as achivements. And theyre often fun.

Keep in mind there's no need to rush them.

I prefer to do legends casually over a long period of time, this severely diminishes the amount of gold I have to spend on them, the amount of RNG and materials required for things like Mystic Clovers and the amount of farming you have to do as well.

The downside is that it might be a while before you complete the legend but that's not really much of a downside to me.. a simple matter of preference 🙂

Doing your dailies is easily one of the best methods for casual legendary crafting.
You get 2g per day almost effortlessly which is 14g a week for barely doing anything, this will easily build up over time if you don't spend it.
Doing dailies in WvW as well grants you exp potions that are worth collecting and storing away in your bank.
You can use these potions to quickly complete WvW reward tracks, I believe you only need about 80 of them for a complete track and you'll naturally gain that Exp while doing dailies as well.
Eventually you'll have so much of this reward track exp stored away you'll likely never need to farm WvW for Gifts of Battles again.
I speak from experience on this too, i've got over a thousand potions stored in my bank just from doing dailies in WvW after someone recommended it to me, now I highly recommend the same to others 🙂

From your log in rewards you get mystic coins, laurels and the option to choose a chest of legendary materials once a month.
Choosing that legendary materials chest every month gives you mystic clovers without needing to RNG in the mystic forge, over time it's easy to build up a nice little stockpile of these clovers.

Mystic coins are useful to save up but they are also a very good method of getting quick gold.
If you've saved up a bunch of them, selling a couple once in a while for some extra gold isn't a bad idea.
You can get a coin every day too by doing the Anomaly world boss which is a very active event that many players do every day specifically for the mystic coins.
Another way to obtain an extra coins as well is to always do the Mystic forger daily when it appears in the daily list, this daily always rewards a mystic coin as well so keep watch for it and always do it when it's an active daily.
A simple and easy way of completing it is to do some material promotion, or dump 4 junk weapons into the forge, it matters not what you do tbh you just need to craft something in the forge and boom, free mystic coin.

Laurels are the other good resource to get from daily log in rewards that you can stockpile.
These can be used to buy many things but what you really want to save them for is T6 materials.
Vails of powerful blood etc which you often need a lot of for legendary crafting.

• Like 1

One path you might consider -

You can get a Precursor (of your choice) for an End of Dragons Legendary Weapon pretty easily.  You need only 10 of 24 Meta Achievements from the 'Return to ....' Bonus Events/Side Stories currently going on. 

You will also have ~6 months to stockpile materials.  (Of course, EoD Legendary Weapons may require some EoD-specific materials, but surely will also require some of the same basic mats you will have saved up.)

Actually just by doing raids and daily t4 fractals (without CM, without recs) should be enough to prodive 100gold+ at the end of a week. If u do some more activities on top of that like PvP (good source for liquid gold), you can easily reach up to 200gold per week. 

If u just wanna skip all these activities just pump real money into this game (basically like all "barons/whales" do) and buy some alt accounts, that at least provides you with daily login rewards such as mystic coins, or with which you can also do acitivities like fractals and send the gold to your main)  - i even saw ppl acting like its common sense to pump real money and buy gems just to convert those into gold.... so not everyone that is "rich" ingame necessarly earned that gold exclusively with ingame activities, rather than having tons of alt accounts by pumping real money in it. 

If you already have 200 LI I'd suggest you the first envoy set. It cost you 150LI and the utility given by it is amazing, specially if you main a character or play multiple characters of the same armor size. Be aware that the precursor ascended armor from the second collection HAS to be the same size that the legendary you intend to do.

Ad Infinitum is also easy and cheap, assuming you don't have enough currencies for the legendary WvW backpack, which IMO is cheaper.

As for farming gold, just do dailies and fractals. You get around 20g per day, so around 140 per week, so around 560g per month.

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Yellow Rainbow.6142 said:

200 LI and no knowledge of legendary when all the help is available right on wiki. I don't believe this.

I very much do. Even among raiders with far more raid kills on their tab you can still find people that won't be able to find the info they need until someone else points them to a specific link.