Balance Update Preview for August 17, 2021

Josh Davis.7865

30 minutes ago, anjo.6143 said:

Yeah 99% of pvp population arent good sidenoders, for sure. You can watch Naru, Grimjack, Boyce playing some SN and see what they do, also you can hear from sindrener basicly all streamings saying "don't be that guy standing afk on nodeç

Yeah im gonna watch streamers that apart from grim play mostly roamers/teamfighters on how to sidenode in soloq that is nothing like competitive ATs where its actually meta to afk on your node. 

45 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

If you guys didn't want Mesmer's around then you might as well remove them entirely from the game....giving every other profession our stuff, making confusion that's been pretty unique to us, now weak AND giving Harbingers our old Signet of Inspiration boon sharing effect on one of their traits??? 👋

Seriously, that's pretty much a revert to previous state, when Confusion was quite good in a consistent way, instead of being either not worth using, or completely broken, but never anything in between. Took them only few years to see what people were telling them then, i guess.

Notice, though, one important thing here: The reason confusion was this way till now was because Anet refused to make actual mechanic differences between split skills, and allowed only numerical changes (so, it was not possible to have one version with condition damage scaling and one without on the same part of damage calculation). This restriction to multimode balancing seems to have been just either relaxed, or flat out removed. Which means we might see more of the bigger skill splits in the future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great to see that your fixing archer Templates.....

When will you finally fix rev templates? They are so messed up, skills switching randomly, sometimes even hole builds get deleted. I can not play with that. Plus that's its really risky because you may loose the whole build, so that you have to recreate it instead of switching and continue the fight. That often leaves you dead.

Edited by Keppler.5728
  • Like 3

I am glad to see the Soulbeast merge getting some attention.

Would it be possible to disable the forced unmerge + cooldown in Fractals as well when saved by a mistlock singularity?

It punishes Soulbeast so much more than any other class.

Edited by Mauti.3520
  • Like 1

Scourge nerfs, finally, though what I like most is...

Soulbeast

– Fixed a bug in which swapping Build Templates could leave players merged with a pet not in their current build. Swapping between soulbeast Build Templates while merged with a pet will now unmerge your pet, and then automatically remerge after the template swap completes.

– Fixed a bug in which swapping Build Templates could leave players merged with a pet even when they no longer have the soulbeast specialization slotted.

– Beastmode: On entering or exiting water, if players were previously merged with their pet, they will now automatically remerge after transitioning to water or land.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES SOULBEAST FIXES ❤️ yayyyyyy Thank youuuuuu

• Like 1

Please add a note about the boon corrupt on necro dagger 3 Dark Pact’s to the skill description.  I completely forgot this was a thing until I looked at the skill facts. 
Also Shadow Refuge can revive people untraited with no mention of this in the tooltip. Bug or feature?

I see so many bug fixes on so many classes and then I scroll down to Revenent and see no bug fix 😭. I appreciate all the bug fixes a lot but PLEASE fix Revenant. Getting your templates deleted when leaving or entering an instance or getting your skills shuffled is way more annoying than being stuck in your firebrand tome with zero pages left 😫

Edited by Kanami.7035
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Profession Skills

Combo Fields and Finisher Skills

• – Combo finishers will now prioritize using your own combo fields before those created by other players, where available.

This is an amazing change!

I'm glad you guys are embracing the combo mechanic, it's such a unique aspect of gw2's combat system.

I hope we see a few more finisher tags in existing skills. I understand wanting to limit combo field access for balance and thematic reasons, but I feel finishers should be more commonplace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weaver still don't get other opportunities to play (only the same meta piano rotation with the same traits) 

Holosmith still need a nerf of it's "better-engineer" mechanic, like longer kit cooldowns... 

Dragonhunter still have the one op grandmaster trait... 

Firebrand still have the one op grandmaster trait... 

Mirage still don't get special shatter skills... 

Druid still need glyphs that fit to it's role, like healing allies around at every use... 

Herold still have no good shield skills to equip that... 

Spellbreaker still without a meditation skills trait and without useful dagger skills... 

Elementalist earth traitline need an update. 

Ranger bow traitline and Engineer and Guardian defense traitline need an update so player will use it again. 

Some skills could need a shorter cooldown for a long time, like warrior shield skills

Guardian and Revenant hammer skills need an update. 

Elementalist and Engineer could need a big update to all of the slot skills... 

Ranger signet skills need an update. 

Thief venom skills need same stacks (except elite). 

Edited by Iustitian.9176
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

Some of these observation seem to have been made months ago. 
Revenant is barely touched while currently it requires no skill to play in PvP. 95% of the revenants you meet in ranked games are all the same and deal massive amount of damage while still being able to keep themselves up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can we please address the elephant in the room with the beta elite specs coming up? Chronomancer, the time mage named spec, cannot produce enough quickness *and* alacrity for a sub squad without significant sacrifices to the point where it's primarily viewed as a DPS spec or quickness only spec. This seems like a huge flavour fail to not have chronomancer be the superlative quickness and alacrity provider.

Furthermore, the changes to scourge's abrasive grit and sand flare are a step in the right direction but as long as Sadistic Searing and punishments remain in a weak spot damage wise, there is still a great incentive to simply stack Desert Empowerment condi dps scourges instead of using a full on heal scourge. 

Edited by FaustXIII.6409
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like good changes all around.

However, I'm still pretty saddened that core engineer continues to be neglected. Still zero changes to turrets (busted for 7+ years at this point), and it'd be pretty bizarre if by the time EoD launches we're getting harbingers with elixir traits that can turn the spec into a support role, while engineer elixir traits are left in a weaker state without any way to trait them to support a party.

The EoD elite specs shown so far look awesome but are beginning to present a concerning trend of leaving old skills in a broken state while adding new skills that do the same thing but strictly better. Renegade skills were essentially a turret rework that was never back-ported to engineer. Harbinger elixirs and traits look like a modern rework of engineer elixirs and the alchemy line, but the latter is being ditched. Those old versions still exist, and are a bit of a scuff mark when you compare them to the new implementations. If I wanted to be overly negative, I would say that it feels like you went down the path of reworking half of the engineer's skills, and then decided at the last minute to give them to other classes instead, and now core engineer is still busted.

That said, I expect elite specialization utilities to be more complicated because they're used in conjunction with a new profession mechanic. I wouldn't expect engineer elixirs to bolt on a blight mechanic, but I do expect them to at least be viable for party support. Unfortunately that's just not the case, and it's almost entirely because of how outdated the alchemy trait line is.

Turrets are just... well, they're something else. They're useless, and the profession doesn't offer a way to build around them even if you wanted to. They may as well not exist.

Edited by Tulki.1458
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Guardian

• "Retreat!": Guardians never retreat, so this shout skill has been renamed "Advance!" The voice acting has been updated appropriately to say either "Advance!" or "Charge!" at random, for a little variety.

Best change ever, tyvm. I always felt a bit uncomfortable with fleeing while actually charging at my enemies 😄