As a player going through the story, not being able to run the story-mode of the dungeons when they become avaliable is a downer

Ellye.9123

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware they can be soloed. No, it's not realistic to expect someone new to the game or that just play casually to solo them while levelling their character, without extensive preparation.

Ideally, I'd like ANet to not have abandoned dungeons, rework them and their rewards, and offer incentives for experienced players to re-run story mode with new players  - rewards that are appropriate and proportional to the time investment and challenge and such, and scaled up if they watch cutscenes since this is the point of story mode.

Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking now, as ANet made the decision to discard dungeons a long time ago and have never showed any intention of going back on that. But, this being the case, I really do wish they would at least make a balance pass to ensure that they are easier to solo. I'm not saying they need to be a complete faceroll like most open world content is, just to be be something that a player going through the levelling experience should be expected to be able to complete.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 4

Put up a lfg and do other stuff while it fills then waypoint to dungeon map and enter.

Alot of people want ot do dungeons but the same people are afraid to put up lfg since they think they have to lead.

• Hint you dont have to lead just put up "Doing story first time watching movies"

You might even get afew veterans aswell that are bored and want to relive dungeons again.

Edit

What I do think would be a good idea is 1 tab for dungeons and then you have to type which one you want to do (like the raid tab), it is abit of a clicking mess to go through all 7 different tabs to see if anyone want to do dungeons atm.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Hint you dont have to lead just put up "Doing story first time watching movies"

That's exactly the problem, veterans don't want to join Story Modes with cutscene enabled. Especially the lengthly ones such as Sorrow's Embrace.

Usually such LFGs will not find enough people to assemble a capable party.

Edited by Vilin.8056

19 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

That's exactly the problem, veterans don't want to join Story Modes with cutscene enabled. Especially the lengthly ones such as Sorrow's Embrace.

Well even 5 newbies should be able to figure out the dungeons with the power creep of expansions.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well even 5 newbies should be able to figure out the dungeons with the power creep of expansions.

Which is also another problem.

Very often you won't find 4 other newbies within 30 minutes in most dungeon story modes above Twilight Arbor.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 2

Story mode counts for dailies whenever you see a daily for a particular dungeon. I don't know if it's a bug, but if it is anet needs to keep it broken. I literally did all my story modes when that particular dungeon is a daily, people are definitely willing to join if it helps them net another 2g and 10ap. 

If it's not a bug, anet needs to improve the wording of the daily.

Edited by Firebeard.1746

I don't think its that big of a deal, it literally only takes one exp vet joining you to go through all the dungeons, especially if they're on a hybrid damage/support build can keep you from dying too.

As for players wanting to skip cutscenes, this is why guilds exist.

That said I advocated years ago that all story dungeons be converted into story instances like Arah. It should be especially possible now with the DRM technology which can keep them both as story missions and dungeons on the same system, the whole reason DRMs were made was to solve that problem.

Honestly all dungeons should just be converted entirely to Fractals or DRMs at this point.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, Ellye.9123 said:

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware they can be soloed. No, it's not realistic to expect someone new to the game or that just play casually to solo them while levelling their character, without extensive preparation.

Ideally, I'd like ANet to not have abandoned dungeons, rework them and their rewards, and offer incentives for experienced players to re-run story mode with new players  - rewards that are appropriate and proportional to the time investment and challenge and such, and scaled up if they watch cutscenes since this is the point of story mode.

Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking now, as ANet made the decision to discard dungeons a long time ago and have never showed any intention of going back on that. But, this being the case, I really do wish they would at least make a balance pass to ensure that they are easier to solo. I'm not saying they need to be a complete faceroll like most open world content is, just to be be something that a player going through the levelling experience should be expected to be able to complete.

If you're on EU I'll run every story for you. Just hit me up in-game. 

You will be surprised how many people are willing to play story mode. Just open a group in LFG. I did the same 3 years ago when I started the game and did them alongside the personal story without problem at all. People are very comprehensive if you specify in lfg you want to watch cutscenes.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:17 AM, Vilin.8056 said:

When I level’d my alt-character year ago I found people for all of dungeons. Even 80 levels - just in LFG. There is many people who help new players in LFG. Not minute or two, but 10-30 min at average which even better than WoW (one or two times couldn’t find, so waited for hour or few).

4 hours ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

You will be surprised how many people are willing to play story mode. Just open a group in LFG. I did the same 3 years ago when I started the game and did them alongside the personal story without problem at all. People are very comprehensive if you specify in lfg you want to watch cutscenes.

^ This. @Ellye.9123, please take a note of this.

I make a point of joining "new player/watching cutscenes" type of LFG listings all the time, and I'm one of the people who solos all the story modes and most of the explorables. When I join those new person LFGs, I am extremely protective of that experience, to the point that I usually offer to pull us out of LFG so only the LFG maker(s) are in there with me, and they get a full experience without herding cats or having to deal with people skipping scenes and clearing all the trash up to the next boss. Of course if they want to wait for a full 5, I am perfectly okay with that too.

There is pretty wide agreement that we have a pretty good PvE community here in Tyria, and the dungeons seem to be no exception in my experience. From what I've seen, the majority of other veteran dungeon runners operate as I do in joining LFGs.

If all else fails, add me to your friends list and message me when I'm on, I can help you with any of the story mode dungeons.

• Thanks 1

Have you tried making a lfg group with the proper description? Dungeons are not as dead as people think. I only find Arah harder to get a group.

I was once kicked out of a party for Caudecus's Manor because I was lvl 80 and they wanted a low lvl group (I didnt read the description :))