Legendary armor by pve exploration [Merged]

17 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And if they do then why dont the other guy got gear for second role?

Because one is enough, isn't it? He can change stats. You said there's no practical difference between legendary guy and guy with two ascended gear sets, but what if he has to do more than to roles, maybe he need to condi on first boss, then power on second boss, and then hand kite on third?

Well, jokes aside, do you actually think having legendary gear doesn't make you preferable choice over someone who has 2-3 sets of ascended gear? And decision will be made by coin flip and not by "this guy has legendary gear and may easier cover unpredicted situations than guy with ascended gear, so we will take him"?

Edited by Rinagal.9235
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Rinagal.9235 said:

Because one is enough, isn't it? He can change stats. You said there's no practical difference between legendary guy and guy with two ascended gear sets, but what if he has to do more than to roles, maybe he need to condi on first boss, then power on second boss, and then hand kite on third?

Well, jokes aside, do you actually think having legendary gear doesn't make you preferable choice over someone who has 2-3 sets of ascended gear? And decision will be made by coin flip and not by "this guy has legendary gear and may easier cover unpredicted situations, mor so than guy with ascended gear, so we will take him"?

It shound't affect any decision like that since legendary armory can be done buying achievs runs and farming w1 afterwards until you get enough LI.

I really hope ppl dont make GW2 an elitist hell like they did with WOW when the comunity added that raid.io thing.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rinagal.9235 said:

Well, jokes aside, do you actually think having legendary gear doesn't make you preferable choice over someone who has 2-3 sets of ascended gear? And decision will be made by coin flip and not by "this guy has legendary gear and may easier cover unpredicted situations than guy with ascended gear, so we will take him"?

Yes I do know that is the case since I dident have any legendary armor before like a month ago and never had trouble getting into groups with my ascended geared toons.

My legendary armor is sitting on my druid with same stats as my ascended.

If i need more toughness to tank I switch out my ascended neck and rings.

Edit

And when I lead squads in raids people get a kick for not preforming their jobb, tank dps or heal regardless what items they use.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1

Just now, zOLtAm.7824 said:

I really hope ppl dont make GW2 an elitist hell like they did with WOW when the comunity added that raid.io thing.

I don't think there is anything elitist about it, it's just more rational choice. Having someone who can change stats on the fly and don't have to prepare for every possible situation beforehand is just better than guy who will have to run to mystic forge.

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes I do know that is the case since I dident have any legendary armor before like a month ago and never had trouble getting into groups with my ascended geared toons.

Do you know because you were in such cases? If you never had trouble getting into groups doesn't mean someone choose you over player with legendary gear. I don't try to proof that players with ascended gear will have hard time get to raids, i don't think so and it's not my point.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Rinagal.9235 said:

I don't think there is anything elitist about it, it's just more rational choice. Having someone who can change stats on the fly and don't have to prepare for every possible situation beforehand is just better than guy who will have to run to mystic forge.

Do you know because you were in such cases? If you never had trouble getting into groups doesn't mean someone choose you over player with legendary gear. I don't try to proof that players with ascended gear will have hard time get to raids, i don't think so and it's not my point.

Yea but getting  more ascended things for all your jobbs is easier then getting legendaries so its a moot point your trying to make.

• Like 2

We have now spent a page discussing the story of a player who has all the legendaries in the world but is still a total newb when it comes to doing some raid build.

(The plain reality is that all anyone is going to see is "they're a total newb when it comes to doing this raid build.")

All in support of a point that boils down to "legendaries are, sometimes, convenient to have."

Edited by ASP.8093

I have now started a while ago a new account and since I knew more about the game, then when i startet 5 years ago and have good friends, it went pretty quickly to equip my main. What I did not have until a few weeks ago was bling bling shiny shiny.
And I never had problems to find groups, in any game mode.

On the contrary, I've seen some people in T4 fraks AND Raids with super shiny, legy, legy armor, have not seen who have perfomed sooo~ bad xx.

Sure you experience it sometimes that people are mega impressed when someone else has Legy, but these are often new players who have no idea, or "casuals" who themselves have zero idea.

As Linken wrote. If people are kicked, then because they suck. I have recently leaved a raid myself because I had just hard failed on a boss where I never had problems before. I do not automatically become better just because I go from exo to asc or asc to legy.

56 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea but getting  more ascended things for all your jobbs is easier then getting legendaries so its a moot point your trying to make.

Does it make ascended gear better than legendary one? If your point is that legendary gear is harder to get then read here, it's not an argument because it's not a problem.

50 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

We have now spent a page discussing the story of a player who has all the legendaries in the world but is still a total newb when it comes to doing some raid build.

(The plain reality is that all anyone is going to see is "they're a total newb when it comes to doing this raid build.")

All in support of a point that boils down to "legendaries are, sometimes, convenient to have."

In my guild when raid squad starts to gather (no static, it's casual guild and people just try to form squad of guildies), guys with legendary gear often actually swap stats and change builds to cover roles we lack to be able take more people from guild and not look on lfg, but there wasn't any case when someone with ascended gear did the same. And being "a total newb when it comes to doing this raid build" is enough for most raid bosses to kill. If you personally don't use features of legendary gear and think they aren't so good and usefull as someone claim, it doesn't mean it's true for everyone, it does mean it's true for you personally.

Edited by Rinagal.9235
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rinagal.9235 said:

They're interwined, so what? In World of Warcraft getting Cutting Edge achivement is interwined with getting the best gear in the game, yet one is prestige reward and another is part of progression. Title "Fracrtal god" is prestige reward, effect is part (well final part) of progression in fractals. Skin/visual effect of legendary equipment is prestige reward, features provided by legendary gear is logical conclussion of gear progression in the game.

The argument does not really hold well for fractal God. Their is no possible way to get the progression without the title. If you admit that progression can be intertwined with prestige, then their is no reason why someone couldn't just argue that the legendary progression should be intertwined with the prestige. 

4 hours ago, Rinagal.9235 said:

People may call things what they like, yet it's name isn't spelled in purple color and it doesn't have tag "Legendary" like all legendary items do. Tou want find such a thing like Legendary mount here. People call unique weapon skins from BLTC legendaries because of effects and overall production quality, yet the're not legendaries.

The purple text does not matter for my point, as skyscale are seen by atleast a part of the community as a prestige mount. That's the only thing that matters. 

6 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

The developers themselves called the Skyscale exactly that.

Then it just shows they themselves do not understand what this term means.

Prestige reward is something people go for for prestige alone. If the reward offers some advantage/utility that can make people go for it without considering the prestige value, then it is no longer just a prestige reward. Even if prestige is also attached to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rod.6581 said:

But how about this?
You get to buy legendary armor for gems!!! You don't even have to play. You can just swipe and there - now you have lege armor! 
And if you get the bundle - you get the trinkets too!!!

All that is left is for you to take the screenshot, put it as your wallpaper and exit  delete the game. You won!

What does acquiring legendary armor have to do with winning the game? That makes zero sense. If people want to spend that kind of money on gems let them.

• Like 3

Just now, Super Hayes.6890 said:

For gold that I earned in game, yes. I personally don't care if others swipe a credit card to do it. It makes that part of the game so much simpler. Then I can play the parts of the game I like and theory craft builds at will.

And apart from few time gates you can. What's stopping you?

• Confused 2

I would love to see an open world leggy set, I wont go into a long dissertation on it as I have put forth how to do it in one of the other many threads on it. Suffice to say , not asking for envoy armor a plain set is fine by me,  I am asking for just a set with the QoL of the armory. Not asking for a gimme, asking for a long intense journey to craft an overworld set that would also include dungeons with cheeves to also build interest in those too.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Legendary armor is not on the trading post

Gift of Craftsmanship - Buy items from TP, use them to get provisioner tokens from NPCs. (It is time gated but you can buy it)
Mystic Clovers - While Obsidian Shard can be tricky to get (I guess), everything else needed can be bought from TP.
Gift of Condensed Might - buy mats from TP

Gift of Condensed Magic - buy mats from TP
25 Legendary Insights - buy raids from LFG and slack in the corner

Eldritch Scroll - not so hard to get even for new players

Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy - requires some effort and time gated if you want to level crafting and buy materials to craft ascended gear (if you have no other source for it) but you need just a bit of effort, time and gold

Gift of Dedication - does require some open world but not that hard

Envoy Armor I: Experimental Armor - get it while you are doing raids you paid on LFG

Envoy Armor II: Refined Armor - while you are carried for raids, ask them if they can carry you in fractals so you can finish this one also. Pretty sure they will do it.

Those two require a bit of effort I admit.

Not exactly available on TP but not that far from it, sadly.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

To be fair, WvW players have a lot of Gifts of Battle.

I fed one to a cat.

That's because they WvW a lot. For open world PvE Armor I'd at least expect them to take a GoE for each piece and since you get two per char, I might just up that to twelve GoE total for a full set of armor. Haven't touched mats and stuff yet and already people would have to do 6 map comletions for one armor to be on par.

11 minutes ago, Rod.6581 said:

Gift of Craftsmanship - Buy items from TP, use them to get provisioner tokens from NPCs. (It is time gated but you can buy it)
Mystic Clovers - While Obsidian Shard can be tricky to get (I guess), everything else needed can be bought from TP.
Gift of Condensed Might - buy mats from TP

Gift of Condensed Magic - buy mats from TP
25 Legendary Insights - buy raids from LFG and slack in the corner

Eldritch Scroll - not so hard to get even for new players

Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy - requires some effort and time gated if you want to level crafting and buy materials to craft ascended gear (if you have no other source for it) but you need just a bit of effort, time and gold

Gift of Dedication - does require some open world but not that hard

Envoy Armor I: Experimental Armor - get it while you are doing raids you paid on LFG

Envoy Armor II: Refined Armor - while you are carried for raids, ask them if they can carry you in fractals so you can finish this one also. Pretty sure they will do it.

Those two require a bit of effort I admit.

Not exactly available on TP but not that far from it, sadly.

Wow, you're right. That is simpler than just buying the completed peice 😉

You made a solid guide there. I might actually use it if I finally give in to the grind.

1 minute ago, lokh.2695 said:

That's because they WvW a lot. For open world PvE Armor I'd at least expect them to take a GoE for each piece and since you get two per char, I might just up that to twelve GoE total for a full set of armor. Haven't touched mats and stuff yet and already people would have to do 6 map comletions for one armor to be on par.

Dont forget pof and hot and eod exploration those four is combined into gift of the Explorer.

Guess the rest could be gift of condensed might, magic and lastly gift of Pve dedication ( a combination of hot/pof meta and Eod strike drops)

1 minute ago, lokh.2695 said:

Theres a biiiiiig difference in time spent for those gifts though. GOB takes about 4-8 hours depending on boosters for the entire gift. in 8 hours i maybe have finished mapping a region. So, if it gave a gift of exploration for each region sure, 12 is fine, as is, no it really isnt fine.

Im all for making it take 20 weeks, and theres an easy way they can do it, that doesnt either force players to delete characters to do map completion, OR spend money to buy more character slots(Awful design that concept is.), make it use Lumps of Mithrillium, and Elonian cord, they arent expensive, but they can *only* be crafted on a daily timer and are account bound OR make some new account bound material thats on a 24 hour timer and can only be crafted once a day.

would take 140 per set of each item(140 mithrillium, 140 cord) to force that 20 week minimum.

And then build from there, add the collection, then add in the cost of materials(To make them equal to a gen 2 weapon in cost.).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Dont forget pof and hot and eod exploration those four is combined into gift of the Explorer.

Guess the rest could be gift of condensed might, magic and lastly gift of Pve dedication ( a combination of hot/pof meta and Eod strike drops)

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

Theres a biiiiiig difference in time spent for those gifts though. GOB takes about 4-8 hours depending on boosters for the entire gift. in 8 hours i maybe have finished mapping a region. So, if it gave a gift of exploration for each region sure, 12 is fine, as is, no it really isnt fine.

Im all for making it take 20 weeks, and theres an easy way they can do it, that doesnt either force players to delete characters to do map completion, OR spend money to buy more character slots(Awful design that concept is.), make it use Lumps of Mithrillium, and Elonian cord, they arent expensive, but they can *only* be crafted on a daily timer and are account bound OR make some new account bound material thats on a 24 hour timer and can only be crafted once a day.

would take 140 per set of each item(140 mithrillium, 140 cord) to force that 20 week minimum.

And then build from there, add the collection, then add in the cost of materials(To make them equal to a gen 2 weapon in cost.).

I was jut spitballin'. Of course there can and should be far more clever ways to do this if it has to be done. I like the Gift of the Explorer thing though.

Dante has a point. Using GoE's(or any other map completion reward) has it's problems as it is linked to character slots. Also, as ANet is adding more and more fficient ways of "getting around a map", getting the GoE gets easier. On the other hand, OP was asking for "Armor by Exploration" so asking for lots of exploring to get the armor should be a given in some way or another. Maybe the option to undo map completion on existing characters, not sure what this would do to the economy though.

Tying PvE Armor to some kind of timegate would definitely have to be a thing as well, seeing that all other armors are timegated in some way or another(iirc).

Adding an open world legendary armor would come with a new currency I imagine. Much like legendary insights, from a game mechanics perspective, are only usefull for crafting raid armor(the "it's proof of raid prowess" thing is more psychological than anything). Maybe a currency that has to do with world bosses/jumping puzzles/meta events, maybe on a daily/weekly limit to timegate the process...

I agree with the op and i agree All armor should be tradable and sell-able.. Its a large reason i stopped playing GW2 and stopped using the cash store..

Its also a reason i don't WvW or PvP as you are instakilled unless you have the best gear these days so you cannot even earn anything in those modes.. Best ignored.

Every avenue should be available to get these things..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1