Legendries for the class betas?

bharr.2890

I'm wondering if we will get temporary legendries for the betas to help experiment and show people who don't have them how useful they are. I remember the PoF beta we got a bag of gear that clogged up our temporary characters bags. What do you peeps think? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I would definitely prefer temporary legendaries over the system ANet had with PoF. Your post made me remember the terrible hassle it was, having bags of armors/weapons/runes/sigils and even food if I remember correctly. It was clumsy and a system, where temporary legendaries were unlocked for the beta characters would be far better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it would have been a good idea and a great way to promote the usefulness of legendaries to people who don't think they're worth it. Also would have shown new players what end game might look like for them.

It doesn't seem like they're going to do it though. I think getting the armory out there before EoD did have this idea in mind of using your legendaries in the beta but only really ones players already crafted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they can do it that would be a good way of letting people experiment with different builds quickly.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it's just going to be the same as the previous betas where they just get a selection of random stuff to use, and can access anything which was in your bank at the time the beta slots were created (but not anything added later).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree it would be a really fun way to promote the new builds and showcase legendaries.  While they aren't everyone's cup of tea with the amount of time and materials, it would encourage some I think to see their advantages beyond just the skins.  Also would eliminate the bag of gear issue, this is my first beta with GW2 and that sounds messy 😑

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Just craft the things and throw away what you used. Not like it matters if you spend 1000g on your beta character. The gold is still there on your main account.

I think the point was that it would be a way for people who can not yet craft legendries at all to see why it might be worth their time and effort to go for it.

I totally support this.  I find it very hard to decide whether or not to make a legendary just based on what I read in the wiki and here and what I hear in-game, without actually being able to see how the armory and weapons actually work.  Even just getting to use one for a single beta event would be a huge help in translating what I'm reading about their functionality into understanding how useful it may or may not be to the way I play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

I think the point was that it would be a way for people who can not yet craft legendries at all to see why it might be worth their time and effort to go for it.

I totally support this.  I find it very hard to decide whether or not to make a legendary just based on what I read in the wiki and here and what I hear in-game, without actually being able to see how the armory and weapons actually work.  Even just getting to use one for a single beta event would be a huge help in translating what I'm reading about their functionality into understanding how useful it may or may not be to the way I play.

Well, you could make the Legendary, but not bind it to your account (Legendary Armory) until you've created your Beta character(s).  When the Beta(s) are finished, your Legendary would be unbound, and you would have had your test. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, you could make the Legendary, but not bind it to your account (Legendary Armory) until you've created your Beta character(s).  When the Beta(s) are finished, your Legendary would be unbound, and you would have had your test. 

Oh, I see!  Huh, I didn't even know that was possible.  Very cool, I could certainly also see the use for that.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

In theory, but I somehow doubt many people have the resources to make 2 sets of legendary armors for the beta classes and the 8 or so different legendary weapons needed to test various builds... in less than 2 days. And of course it could be pointless if the snapshot is older than today.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

it might not work exactly as that, Their was no mention of having a seperate bank. And nothing we know explains how the armory interacts with the beta.

@Lyssia.4637

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

it might not work exactly as that, Their was no mention of having a seperate bank. And nothing we know explains how the armory interacts with the beta.

@Lyssia.4637

It literally says it in the announcement:
Your beta character is temporary and when they vanish back into the Mists, all the information recorded on your account while playing them will disappear as well. 

1 minute ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It literally says it in the announcement:
Your beta character is temporary and when they vanish back into the Mists, all the information recorded on your account while playing them will disappear as well. 

Yes, but

A) the armory is not a character specific setup (its acount wide)

1 minute ago, yann.1946 said:

Yes, but

Well what part of information recorded on your account is hard to understand, lol?
The beta characters exist on a copy of your account. Legendaries are part of that copy. Everything you have will be available (assuming it existed at the time of copy). The armory, mounts, wardrobe, dyes, everything in your bank, etc. That's your account.

Yes, but lets say you bind on the armory.

After that you log on one of your normal characters and the game detects that as you binding the set to your account which would lead to having it permanantly bound.

Now it might work exactly as you suggest, but the wording as giving does not garantue it at all.

3 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

After that you log on one of your normal characters and the game detects that as you binding the set to your account which would lead to having it permanantly bound.

It doesnt, because it cant. Two different accounts. You're not locked from playing your normal characters during the beta you know. If you have 1000g today, log in to a beta character and throw away 500g on whatever, you can after that log in to one of your normal characters and still have 1000g. Then you can log in to the beta character again and you'll have... 500g. Binding an unbound legendary during that time would work exactly the same. You can literally bind it on your beta character, log on one of your normal characters and find it unbound sitting there. 

But again, the idea of making a legendary now in less than 2 days for this purpose is incredibly optimistic.

Just now, Dawdler.8521 said:

It doesnt, because it cant. Two different accounts. You're not locked from playing your normal characters during the beta you know. If you have 1000g today, log in to a beta character and throw away 500g on whatever, you can after that log in to one of your normal characters and still have 1000g. Then you can log in to the beta character again and you'll have... 500g. Binding an unbound legendary during that time would work exactly the same. You can literally bind it on your beta character, log on one of your normal characters and find it unbound sitting there. 

But again, the idea of making a legendary now in less than 2 days for this purpose is incredibly optimistic.

Your just assuming it will work completely the same as the last beta though.

1 minute ago, yann.1946 said:

Sure, but its not a garantuee, that was my point.

And it would really suck if someone binds a legendary with the intent to get it back later and it then not get it back.

The only other alternative would be a completely blank/same account (ie everyone get the same basic one), which mean that argument is pointless because the account will either have no legendaries and no mats to build any or all legendaries and still no mats to build any.

Pretty sure Anet thought of the armoury when they said it'll work the same as the other betas. 

22 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

Yes, but

Nothing account wide (such as guild membership) applied during the last beta. It's a safe bet it wont this time either.  Consider the three slots as a completely separate account that is not part of the same game as your regular characters.

There is just too much that could go wrong if they give us access to anything on our current account.

I know its not the perfect solution, but Im going to do what I did during the last beta test for POF - create a private custom pvp arena that my friends and I can test different stats in (remember that some pvp maps have AI enemies). Again, not ideal, but you can change stats on a whim for free with amulets in pvp.

22 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

Sure, but its not a garantuee, that was my point.

And it would really suck if someone binds a legendary with the intent to get it back later and it then not get it back.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that this would happen from. They said progress would not be saved. Why would it work differently where you could lose or gain equipment on your account when it hasn't worked that way in any of the previous betas?

• Like 1