Lingering Curse discussion

Anchoku.8142

4 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

It was already the best trait choice in this slot because as long as you were going to go condition damage scepter and curse were already a given.

Also, the other 2 traits are very strong defensive option. They do not need buff, if they need something it's a situations where you'd want to take them (and, well, it's probably not gonna happen).

- For weakening shroud I feel that you'd need at least 1 adept and 1 master trait to favor strike damage in such a way that the traitline become a competitive "strike damage" option (The minor are already very interesting for strike damage but going power feel like a waste if there is no adept and master trait to push thing up a bit more).

- As for parasitic contagion, the theoretical sustain you can get from this trait is monstruous but, again, you seldom take curse for sustain. This is one of the rare traits that are bound to work better in PvE than in PvP as a condi tank option, however the necromancer lack some essential tools for being a competitive "tank" (Harbinger with it's current design might be able to somehow fix that, thought).

I was experimenting with a hybrid chill reaper where I was running staff and GS so lingering curse did not make sense for me in that build, but now that my weapon choice does not matter I see no reason not to run lingering curses over the others. 

In a sense the weapon requirement made for the niche scenario where you would look at those other traits. 

Also since you mention that the game lacks situations where you would take these traits, maybe that is a reason to "buff" them but more in the sense of a rework rather than buffing their numbers.

30 minutes ago, CratZII.5872 said:

I was experimenting with a hybrid chill reaper where I was running staff and GS so lingering curse did not make sense for me in that build, but now that my weapon choice does not matter I see no reason not to run lingering curses over the others. 

In a sense the weapon requirement made for the niche scenario where you would look at those other traits. 

Also since you mention that the game lacks situations where you would take these traits, maybe that is a reason to "buff" them but more in the sense of a rework rather than buffing their numbers.

The issue is that if you "buff" them there will be consequences in sPvP and the sPvP crowd is very vocal. This crowd especially hate when they are under the effect of weakness, when they face a character that regen it's life at a high pace and when they are loaded with damaging conditions. They'd rather face a GS condi reaper with 200 extra condition damage than a GS condi reaper that perma weaken them or a GS condi reaper that regen because of the conditions he inflict on it's foes. (not that all the above aren't already possible but at the moment it's not what bother them)

Edited by Dadnir.5038

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

The issue is that if you "buff" them there will be consequences in sPvP and the sPvP crowd is very vocal. This crowd especially hate when they are under the effect of weakness, when they face a character that regen it's life at a high pace and when they are loaded with damaging conditions. They'd rather face a GS condi reaper with 200 extra condition damage than a GS condi reaper that perma weaken them or a GS condi reaper that regen because of the conditions he inflict on it's foes. (not that all the above aren't already possible but at the moment it's not what bother them)

sorry for the confusion but are we now saying that there are situations where these traits are good or not?

51 minutes ago, CratZII.5872 said:

sorry for the confusion but are we now saying that there are situations where these traits are good or not?

No but "buffing" them would escalate into a sPvP mess and we don't want to see that.

As they are, they are strong options that merely don't see any use, nothing more, nothing less. You just don't buff a strong option because it's not used, either you rework the option from the ground or you give it a "context" within which it can shine.

As an example, let's say that:

- Master of corruption grant you +10% strike damage for Xs after using a corruption.

- Insidious disruption make you deal +10% strike damage on disable foes.

- Harbinger's Wicked corruption increase your critical damage by +15% against weakened foes.

Then you'd get all the context needed for taking taking curse in a "power build" and Weaknening shroud over Lingering curse.

It's a problem of "player motivation", Curse offer a lot of critical hit chance but nothing more in the strike damage departement, thus the traitline is mainly used for condition damage builds and strike damage builds just ignore the traitline. If you open up a few major traits to strike damage, players will flock to the traitline and lingering curse wouldn't be the "best choice" for strike damage builds.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:15 AM, Ashur.6403 said:

While I agree that blanket 50% duration increase on all conditions (or even the above Bleed/Poison) would be broken as kitten, Fear of Death.

Fear of Death gives regular condition duration, though, the same thing expertise gives. Basically expertise is wasted on fear if you have this trait selected.

LC on the other hand is base duration, which is then multiplicative with condi duration, so with 100% condi duration, LC doubles the duration of all condis.

@CratZII.5872 @Dadnir.5038

I have the same thoughts and concerns. For condition dps, scepter was required, even as ranged secondary to condi-Reaper's greatsword. And, with scepter, Lingering Curse is always required, too.

The change to LC is nice but the trait is so peaky and powerful that it is mandatory for scepter and scepter is mandatory for most condi-dps builds.

It would be nice if some of Lingering Curse's condition duration was baselined in scepter and LC was mellowed and broadened to provide only moderate condition damage and expertise on all weapons for better balance between Parasitic Contagion and Weakening Shroud.