Something needs to be done about SoS ocx/sea

Celtika.8234

On 8/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Being from Australia, its not our fault that the enemy chooses to log off and hide instead of staying up and fighting us, it’s like they have lives, jobs and families to support or something 😂 

No, being from Australia the problem is that you clump up on the same servers to fight doors (as the scoring system encourages) rather than spreading out to fight each other, as you should be encouraged to do.

It's like @Some Call Me Tim.2319 said above, people play when they play. However it isn't just what it is: The issue is rather what the systems encourage and what that eventually results in when looking at matchups and gameplay. It's not healthy to have servers that fits poorly into matchups. Nightcapping essentially is just population balance issues exacerbated by even more skewered populations in a specific region's off-hours where there are less total players. Same as how everyone in EU or NA should not be on the same servers and rather spread out as evenly as possible, the same should be expected or encouraged out of any other players regardless of timezone.

I don't even have a horse in the ocx/sea race, I mainly play on EU. However, we have had similar issues with french-canadian- and south-american communities throughout the years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

No, being from Australia the problem is that you clump up on the same servers to fight doors (as the scoring system encourages) rather than spreading out to fight each other, as you should be encouraged to do.

In their defense Australians are probably used to everything trying to kill them so grouping together probably comes naturally.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Twilightzone.7452 said:

Maybe we can take all the people complaining about SOS Sea/OCX and put them in some guild and can fight them! No wait that is effort, ill go back suggesting some vague solution that is really just a complaint in a 24 hour mode.

So there ARE guilds of OCX players that DO purposely not play on SoS because they want actual fights in their timezone rather than run in groups of 50 running over 10 and knocking on doors.  They would absolutely love more OCX players to share their mindset and not all stack on SoS.  Recruiting is difficult though when the main source of potential members are all on the same server that you want to fight against.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

What happens if there's three alliances, and they get into three different worlds opposite each other in the same matchup?

Murderous kangaroos raining from the heavens, chlamydia koala zombies rising from the dead, rabid wallabys rampaging on the streets, chaos!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was on SoS from the start left the game came back still on SoS ,  on a good day my ping is 150 most times its higher , yes PvD is not great , but if the map gets crowed I have to leave the map , with the drop in frame rate , delay in attacks , lag , rubber banding  I end up dead before I know it , I know others from Austalia/Asia have the same problems so a quite server helps , I will trade you SMC for better ping , its just what it is 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cobbah.3102 said:

Hmm sounds like a lot of moaning na to me , and what about when ocx is sleeping no difference , take a teaspoon of concrete and a glass of water and harden the kitten up ,we are entitled to play on the servers that suit us end of story. You are not the entire world.

You say your entitled to play while stacking EotM karma trains.  Maybe your entitled gameplay is a wee bit selfish, toxic even.

Nobody goes into a PvP match and say "oh there's 2 on my team but they have a full 5.  Well they are entitled to play the game so I'll just feed, this is fun I want more of this."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, subversiontwo.7501 said:

It's like @Some Call Me Tim.2319 said above, people play when they play. However it isn't just what it is: The issue is rather what the systems encourage and what that eventually results in when looking at matchups and gameplay. It's not healthy to have servers that fits poorly into matchups. Nightcapping essentially is just population balance issues exacerbated by even more skewered populations in a specific region's off-hours where there are less total players. Same as how everyone in EU or NA should not be on the same servers and rather spread out as evenly as possible, the same should be expected or encouraged out of any other players regardless of timezone.

I don't even have a horse in the ocx/sea race, I mainly play on EU. However, we have had similar issues with french-canadian- and south-american communities throughout the years.

Why don't EU players play on US servers instead of clumping up by overstacking on one or two EU servers? Oh yeah, it's because everyone they know plays at a certain time, and wandering around the maps on your own is way less fun. Might explain why OCX players do the same thing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Why don't EU players play on US servers instead of clumping up by overstacking on one or two EU servers? Oh yeah, it's because everyone they know plays at a certain time, and wandering around the maps on your own is way less fun. Might explain why OCX players do the same thing. 

You realize your post gets no traction because having EU servers means that the timezone is filled with fights across servers and not players stacked onto 1 or 2 servers, right?  If there were OCX servers in this game, there would be no outlier like SoS.  OCX players would instead experience the game more like EU and NA does currently.  It would actually be pretty awesome if there were at least 3 OCX servers to form a single tier.  Sure one of those servers might get stacked as what happens in EU and NA, but the three servers would probably remain competitive in that timezone with all the OCX fights guilds being on the non-stacked server because they wouldn't have to wait to get into a match with SoS to get any action.  (And then some EU and NA players could help out the weaker server by transferring over to nightcap.)  I bet SEA players would also join OCX matches.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

If only that was true for EU. I guess it is good for all of us that it isn't true.

In fact, if we just blindly look at populations from a numbers perspective the relinking system seems to have been quite effective. The largest servers that lose their links also tend to trickle down to T5 and lack numbers. That would suggest that world sizes are not as disparate as they were before the links. EU prime is also still likely the most populous timezone overall - so if you play on EU you can be almost assured that you will at least have content in prime regardless of tier and link (with the possible exception of 1 or 2 transfer husks, that players have recently transfered off en masse because they got stacked with volume).

No one is just fighting doors in EU prime throughout the entire EU region. The reasons that Alliances will be good for EU are different than just server sizes. When people talk about stacks here they mostly talk about group stacks or how successful groups later attract player stacks. However, if you have paid any attention to EU in the past 2-3 years you would know that most of these group-stacks or successful communities tend to try to transfer away from the player volumes, not draw them together. The players with some attraction have actually been trying to spread out ever since links came about in 2016. The system is just working against them and chases them.

So in terms of the behaviour you are trying to describe, they are actually behaving in the complete opposite.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

As an Australian who's frequented WvW for many years and played on GoM, AR, SoS, and FA - I can confidently say that there is a stacking problem. SoS has the largest oce pop by far and when they match up with the likes of AR they just run around in a circle capping everything and chasing the 3 opposing players they see across the map. You might call that engaging gameplay, and you might also be an idiot.

Here's hoping the Alliance system resolves some of these issues, because I don't really want to pick between fighting a blob on my own, or fighting a door with 30 friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 9/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Chaba.5410 said:

You realize your post gets no traction because having EU servers means that the timezone is filled with fights across servers and not players stacked onto 1 or 2 servers, right?  If there were OCX servers in this game, there would be no outlier like SoS.  OCX players would instead experience the game more like EU and NA does currently.  It would actually be pretty awesome if there were at least 3 OCX servers to form a single tier.  Sure one of those servers might get stacked as what happens in EU and NA, but the three servers would probably remain competitive in that timezone with all the OCX fights guilds being on the non-stacked server because they wouldn't have to wait to get into a match with SoS to get any action.  (And then some EU and NA players could help out the weaker server by transferring over to nightcap.)  I bet SEA players would also join OCX matches.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, subversiontwo.7501 said:

If only that was true for EU. I guess it is good for all of us that it isn't true.

In fact, if we just blindly look at populations from a numbers perspective the relinking system seems to have been quite effective. The largest servers that lose their links also tend to trickle down to T5 and lack numbers. That would suggest that world sizes are not as disparate as they were before the links. EU prime is also still likely the most populous timezone overall - so if you play on EU you can be almost assured that you will at least have content in prime regardless of tier and link (with the possible exception of 1 or 2 transfer husks, that players have recently transfered off en masse because they got stacked with volume).

No one is just fighting doors in EU prime throughout the entire EU region. The reasons that Alliances will be good for EU are different than just server sizes. When people talk about stacks here they mostly talk about group stacks or how successful groups later attract player stacks. However, if you have paid any attention to EU in the past 2-3 years you would know that most of these group-stacks or successful communities tend to try to transfer away from the player volumes, not draw them together. The players with some attraction have actually been trying to spread out ever since links came about in 2016. The system is just working against them and chases them.

So in terms of the behaviour you are trying to describe, they are actually behaving in the complete opposite.

My point was that server stacking on EU and on OCX pretty much happens for the same reasons, nobody wants to play a game like this one and be the only player from their team on the map. Looking at the timezones for EU and US servers, me playing my prime time in US mid afternoon makes no sense as comparatively speaking there's far fewer people to play with. OCX have that issue further compounded by the fact that they play outside of both EU and US prime time, so they basically have the choice of making their own prime time or to live with being steamrolled constantly. I might not condone stacking on one server, but I can get why it's happening. And at the end of the day, they paid their money just like I did, and it's a 24/7 game mode. 

Yes, there are communities that transfer away from population stacked servers but the fact they have to keep moving implies that they're either so big that they have an exaggerated effect on server populations when they move (so they're overstacked) and/or they're being followed by bandwagoners. Either way you come to the same conclusion; the issue is that the system allows stacking for easy wins in the first place and it's good that alliances will break that up. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741