WvW Alliances confirmed information

Telgum.6071

This point concerns me a bit

- First roll-outs for alliance will have basic data used for making worlds like "your guild size and activity of your guild" which would create a score for matchmaking but with time they will add more data like skill of your guild, alliance, coverage, etc

IMO coverage should be considered at the very start since with the current system, a server with coverage over non-prime time will beat a server with 5 times the players who only play at prime time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlekenny.4196 said:

- First roll-outs for alliance will have basic data used for making worlds like "your guild size and activity of your guild" which would create a score for matchmaking but with time they will add more data like skill of your guild, alliance, coverage, etc

IMO coverage should be considered at the very start since with the current system, a server with coverage over non-prime time will beat a server with 5 times the players who only play at prime time

You cant consider coverage at the start because its a metric that does not exist without observation over time . You cant just slap a new 500 man alliance together and before matchup say yeah they gonna be most active at 03:00 to 07:00. How would you possibly know that without knowing the coverage of each individual guild first which take weeks or months to gather? The database entries doesnt exist unless Anet has sneakily added it already and gathered it in secret.

So that part is fully understandable.

• Confused 3

On 8/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, Telgum.6071 said:
Alliances info:

- First fix population balance then adding new rewards, giving guilds reasons to be guilds or in an alliance which will in turn incentivize winning because if matchups are balanced and you get better rewards, it will naturally make people care. (I'm paraphrasing)

I can't see any reason the average zergling will care when...

Wait...

When have I become so pessimistic about the human nature ?

On 8/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

- Once we've reached the point where we have more balanced worlds and given a reason to win, then we can look at core systems (this was in response to ppt being boring and Grouch agreeing)

Oh dear... Brace yourselves, core improvements incoming in 20+ years !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Littlekenny.4196 said:

Ask all the guilds to submit their raid schedule and time zone

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Littlekenny.4196 said:

Hey Kenny 🙂

Coverage is one of those things that sits inbetween choices and systems too. For example, Alliances will give players more tools to organize coverage. It is not unlikely that we will see more of that happening, since access to cross-hour groups has been just as unfair as access to paid transfers for regional prime hours. On the other side is the fact that the game is still divided into regions so it is still fair to argue that coverage shouldn't be a thing at all. It goes against the principle of having regions and the game likely has regions for a good reason.

Me, for example, I'm one of those people who see the changes improving off-hour balance but that enforcing regional gameplay (or restricting PvD imbalances in other ways) is still the better alternative. At the very least until regions are gone but likely even after that because even in games that have better night-raid defense mechanics than GW2, night capping has still been an issue and a negative.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Guess the main problems will last till they finally start renaming WvWvW to something meaningfull like AvAvA or GvGvG or even more realistic AvA or GvG.

They could leave one huge open PvP-World as a reminder of  "the old" WvWvW with an Infinite Queue, lags, chaos and a weekly matchup for everybody who really enjoys queuing up totally unorganized where you stand or run around, create or join random groups to find friends (like me? *wave or kill me?) and these ad hoc groups and everyone else follows their own objectives for this week.

Edited by wolfsblut.9435
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/20/2021 at 10:45 AM, Littlekenny.4196 said:

Well it does not sound like they track wvw playtime or participation time for every individual player. So at the beginning there's no data to know how the coverage of 2500+ players, mixed from the "old" servers, will be.

18 hours ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

For example, Alliances will give players more tools to organize coverage. It is not unlikely that we will see more of that happening, since access to cross-hour groups has been just as unfair as access to paid transfers for regional prime hours. On the other side is the fact that the game is still divided into regions so it is still fair to argue that coverage shouldn't be a thing at all. It goes against the principle of having regions and the game likely has regions for a good reason.

Giving players more tools to organize coverage? Well sure, you could try to recruit an off-hour guild ... but, the point of this world restructuring is to get thrown together with alliances that cover other timezones/off-hours. So you might as well just reduce the chance to get those alliances for your world with that kind of "organization/optimization".

The region concept failed right from the start. The EU servers have and always had players from way more timezones than "EU" implies.

At 4 hours 48 a guy says something nobody understands.

The action is so fast.

How on earth is a new pugmander to know what to do - the others interpret it as a question about how to do it.

The action is faster because damage is too high. Players have built tools to optimise DPS - no wonder all the newbies get annihilated. Add in the power creep that happens every expac. Fights are over before you can think.

No wonder there are no new pugmanders. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Svarty.8019 said:

At 4 hours 48 a guy says something nobody understands.

The action is so fast.

How on earth is a new pugmander to know what to do - the others interpret it as a question about how to do it.

The action is faster because damage is too high. Players have built tools to optimise DPS - no wonder all the newbies get annihilated. Add in the power creep that happens every expac. Fights are over before you can think.

No wonder there are no new pugmanders. 

The commander is positioning you so you don't stand in the red circles.. the phrase "don't stand in red circles" was a common teaching tool for chat people.  I hope you don't have them turned off in options.  Your supposed to keep your eye on the commander tag in fights and stay within about 400 - 600 range of them at all times.  If you have to move through red circles to "stay on tag"  that's where your dodge rolls, invunerables, stun breaks come in.. protection, stability, a good build.  Practice makes perfect.

You can flank or hang back a little for 1200 bombs if you know what your doing.  But the core group should have a useable frontline build and "stay on tag".

Honestly new pugmanders that refuse to join in on discord play just to listen in, and have never and will never join a guild even for a little while.. hmmmm.   Most MMO's people like joining guilds, I don't get it with this one.  Untrained stubborn people usually stick to PPT play and avoid fights anyways.

Edited by displayname.8315
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

From the news post today:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-fall-and-winter-2021/

World vs. World Restructuring

Last month we confirmed that the WvW World Restructuring feature (a.k.a. Alliances) is in active development. Today we’re back to announce that we’re targeting September 24 for the first week-long beta test of the system.

We have a lot of work to do before then. On August 31, we’ll be rolling out some substantial updates to our server infrastructure—specifically, the servers that make World vs. World possible. This new server code is going to run silently in the background for a few weeks, allowing us to stress test the system with live player data. Ideally, you shouldn’t notice anything different in your WvW gameplay during this time.

We know you’re eager for the gritty details about world restructuring. We’ll be posting a dedicated blog on the feature well in advance of the first beta event, which will include an up-to-date overview of the system and our plans for the betas.

So, about a month assuming all goes well.  But this is probably complex stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took an extra week or two.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

From the news post today:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-fall-and-winter-2021/

So, about a month assuming all goes well.  But this is probably complex stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took an extra week or two.

Three days after the Direct X 11 beta….  

hooboy…

Buckle up.  It’s gonna be a ride….

• Haha 1

That they change the backend ahead of time is logical  (people trying to argue they should use "coverage" before such a metric even exist) but I still do not understand a week of beta test. Recreate worlds every skirmish or what? Gonna be a week of chaos lol. Well at least its gonna be entertainment.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

On 8/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

Team of engineers working on WvW, rest is working on EoD

So, they now have doubled the workforce to two!  Hooray!

Even one part time intern could have produced something in over 3 years, which strengthens the argument that NO ONE was working on it until recently.

3 hours ago, Baldrick.8967 said:

So, they now have doubled the workforce to two!  Hooray!

Even one part time intern could have produced something in over 3 years, which strengthens the argument that NO ONE was working on it until recently.

This is totally speculation, but I think it's Ray's baby and that he's been pulled off it more times than <insert crude metaphor> to work on episodic content.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

That they change the backend ahead of time is logical  (people trying to argue they should use "coverage" before such a metric even exist) but I still do not understand a week of beta test. Recreate worlds every skirmish or what? Gonna be a week of chaos lol. Well at least its gonna be entertainment.

Also I'm guessing the next relinks will get pushed back, so they will switch back to normal a week later, which means the relink after will be in early December. 

Beta 2 will be early next year, but they did say it will not be around to EoDs launch timeframe.

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048