Virtuoso Feedback Thread [Merged]

Daniel Handler.4816

Ok after i played Virtuoso in beta 4 i have to say it is way better than before. But something still bugs me. I think because virtuoso wants to summon phantasms to gain more blades, possible gain boons and synergyze with the traits i think giving Virtuoso the ability to summon phantasms in other ways could really help the spec.

Maybe the elite could summon a phantasm that casts the elite skill. Same function as before, just with the visuals of a phantasm casting the skill and counting as a phantasm for skill interactions. Also blade renewal could summon a phantasm that consumes your blades before you restock them.

I think these implements could really bring the spec together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I was using it as an enabler for the GM trait Psychic Riposte as it generate blades and you can fire an Unblockable Bladesong while F4 is up.  You can, under some circumstances, get 2 unblockable bladesongs during one F4.  Basically, it becomes part of a tanking style build/rotation.

Not to suggest this is good or bad, it's just how the pieces appear to fit together to me.

That's not possible unless its bugged, since psychic riposte has an internal CD of 3 seconds. You cannot proc it more than once when using F4.

Which isn't even mentioning that its possible to have written the trait in a way that distorting through attacks also procced it.

And even that is beside the point since it comes back to you trying to make this work as a tanking rotation, when the spec is supposed to be pure, selfish DPS. A tanking rotation shouldn't even be a thing on it

So, assuming this is supposed to be the selfish DPS spec for Mesmer, on Large Hitbox Golem its benching around 38k. Cool
Compared to Catalyst who on the same golem is pushing 55k. 

Small hitbox is the same story: 37k for Virtuoso and 45k for Catalyst. Why take Virtuoso? It doesn't provide any boons, or utility and subpar DPS?

Edited by MrAmputatoes.6031
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Okay, Virtuoso feedback round 2...

Shatters need big changes still.

Change to casting speed,projectile speed, either unique shatters, all shatters becoming ammo skills , reduced shatter recharges (supposed to be the shatter spec, shatters have pretty much same cooldowns as base mesmer, mirage, and even 50% the same as Chrono, no way to shatter more, we shatter the exact same amount, being on recharge)or no CD/conditional no CD on F1 and F2 shatters. 
Or allow us to spend blades on other things than just shatters if you do not want to change shatters, because who needs 100 blades if I can only shatter 25 of them ( F1 x 2 +F2+F3+F4) and then have to wait for my cooldowns?

Blades float around you but have no passive effect.

I don’t know about you, but slamming into someone who has blades floating around them should be painful somehow. 

Traits still boring and passive

The feedback was mainly that we want some unique things that promote active play and NOT MORE BLADES, you ignored this and gave us more blades. Don't do this, we already generate more blades than we can actually shatter. Bonus when using a bladesong should stack, in combination with shatter suggestions from above. Need traits for immobilizes/psionics/blade threshold changes like Deadeyes Maleficent Seven or Scourge's 3 shades become 1 kind of thing. At least try to give the spec some complexity for those of us that crave it.

Reflects still not adressed. 

That one trait does not solve this problem., not to mention it is not reliably triggered by the player. You cannot reliably plan for this effect to occur since you have to hope for your opponent to do something you can dodge/evade. You cannot setup burst reliably.

One-dimensional utilities. 

You gave us almost nothing to keep enemies away or keep ourselves away from our enemies. No additional evades or blinks, you nuked mesmer F4 from orbit, meaning we are forced to take that awkward massive CD psionic if we want distortion, pretty much no access to cripple/chill/immob, and Rain of Swords(?) and the elite Thousand Cuts(?) feel like they could be the same skill, except one chucks out blades horizontally, and the other vertically.

Useless condi option still there. 

Condi Virtuoso does not only play 90% the same as Power Virtuoso, it is still underpowered to the point you should just cut your losses and take these condi traits away.  It will either suck and never be played (now), or you buff it into the high heavens and in that way completely invalidate Condi Mirage. Remove it or heavily merge condi with existing traits, freeing up those slots for more interesting things.

Power DPS nerf is overdone.

DPS is the only thing Virtuoso brings. If DPS is the only thing a spec brings, it deserves to be on top of the charts. Currently it is not.

No way to keep enemies away or keep distance yourself (teleports/evades/cripples/chills/immobs). 

This is strange design for something that should be able to put up a fight from range.

Dagger is still one dimensional

Dagger needs more than just dmg, and the moving aoe attack gets nullified by a single aegis.

Quickness/aegis/unblock on evade traits are useless.

You want these things when going on the offensive, not defensive, and the durations are so short the boons are done once you get out of your dodge animation. You also want to be able to reliably trigger it, not hope for your enemy to do so. 

Still no way to deal with conditions. 

Virtuoso's that want to be able to somewhat deal with conditions will be forced into Inspiration, already locking 2 of your 3 traitlines.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:38 PM, Levetty.1279 said:

And without the damage!

It's not like Power Chrono magically disappeared because Virt came along. You can still play pChrono. Those that want to have something different, while still dishing out a really good amount of damage, can now play Virtuoso. Not sure why all the hate. This is why we have something called options. It allows us to play different things and still enjoy ourselves.

Edited by Kanok.3027
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Hey team -- lot's of feedback coming with Beta 4, so I wish you all the best of taking it all in.

I too would like to add some reaction to the Beta 4 Virtuoso, as a none Mesmer main. So, take this at face value.  [PVE]

General: I find Virtuoso to be visually beautiful, and one of the more spectacular Elites. Virtuoso knows what role it is: Damage, but it doesn't seem to know how it is going to do that.  Is the Virtuoso close range DPS, long range DPS, single target, cleave, or condition damage? I find the Virtuoso to be lacking a "specialty" for the lack of better terms. 
My impression is that Virtuoso would slot well as a long range DPS specialization, and this would need to be actualized with more cohesive and interesting traits. 

Additionally, the new change of granting blades outside of combat is not what is truly needed -- I would remove this and bake it into the Infinite Forge trait. This would also make it to where player cosmetics would not be upset. As seems to be the case with the Untamed change. 

Specific: 

Bladesongs 

Bladesong Shatters: The projectile shatters should have their projectile speed increased by a bit, to make range more user-friendly. (+15/20%?) 

"Bladesong Sorrow" - I would get rid of the confusion all together, and change this to be the go-to Fury generator. Sorrow would grant Fury(1s) for each blade used. This would allow more play with the minor trait "Quiet Intensity."

"Bladeturn Bladesong Requiem" - Name change for consistency. Have the block duration increase for each blade used. (+.20s for a total possibility of adding 1 second to the block). 

Dagger 

"Flying Cutter" - Projectile speed could be increased by a small amount for more ranged loved. (+15/20%?)

ALSO, there is still a bug where the flurry portion of this skill will not trigger on a downed body. [BUG] 

"Unstable Bladestorm" - This ability should be changed to be a place-able bladestorm at a location. This would allow utilization for more consistent damage, rather than trying to hit targets in the middle of the path, and thus making it redundant that it has a distance of 1200 units.   

EX: "Conjure a telekinetic storm of blades at a location. Dealing damage to foes in the storm." (180 radius. 1200 range. 3 pulse damage. 3 targets)

Utilities 

"Twin Blade Restoration" - Change this ability to a ground targeted, road shaped, ability to have more agency of where the blades will go; similar to that of Chrono shield 5, or even the "Thousand Cuts" on this spec. This would allow the Virtuoso to use it while moving away from the target, and not make it to where you need a target to fire the heal off. 

"Thousand Cuts" - Grant 2 charges to this ability. (2 charges. 15/20 second cooldown. 60s ammunition cooldown/recharge). Would maybe need to reduce the power just a touch. 

Traits 

"Mental Focus" - I'll be brief, this trait makes no sense. I would never imagine a trait such as this on DH, so why give it to a long ranged spec, that has little mobility and needs to stay at range? Nevertheless, here is my recommendation: "Increase Strike Damage, gaining more damage from further distances."(+5% - +10% strike damage. Minimum distance bonus: 5%. Maximum distance bonus: 10%). 

This would utilize the dynamic range threshold technology which was put into many other traits, just like the DH.   

"Jagged Mind" -> "Psionic Affinity" - Psionic abilities grant Fury to allies in the area of their effects, or when a Psionic projectile passes through them. Psionic abilities gain a reduced recharge. (3s ally fury. 5 targets. 20% reduced cooldown.) 

"Duelist's Reversal" -> "Psychic Refrain" - Name change. "Duelist" kinda feels out of place as there is already a Dueling line. 

"Sharpening Sorrow Storm" - Unstable Bladestorm now fires out blade projectiles, and has two charges. Granting Fury to allies extends the duration of Fury on yourself. (2 charges. 4s cooldown. 12s ammunition recharge. +2s Self Fury Extension. 1s cooldown.)

"Infinite Forge" - Add: While out of combat, stock blades. When in combat the rate of stocking blades is tremendously increased  (1 blade. 10s out of combat. 3s in combat)

"Bloodsong" - Each Blade used in a Bladesong will remove a condition. Removing a condition stocks a blade, and heals you. (1 Condition removed per Blade. +1 Stocked Blade per condition removed. 150 Healing per condition removed. 1s cooldown.) 

hope this finds you all well -- and wonderful work!! 

Edited by kroof.5468
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

So I was someone that didn’t give feedback for Virtuoso in the first beta because all my issues were already mentioned and being talked about. However this beta I need to speak up and present some solutions because the changes that Virtuoso received were not in the right direction and NOT the type of changes it needs. The Virtuoso doesn’t even feel like it’s past a conceptual phase and we are already throwing a bandaid unblockable trait at it, lets walk it back.

My list is based around the reality of the situation... that there isn't lot of time to make actual changes to the Virtuoso before it ships.

1) Outdated Shatters

The shatters need to move away from the same formula of f1 (power damage), f2 (condi), f3 (cc), f4 (utility/defense). The original design was like this BECAUSE clones were attached to specific targets, but the Virtuoso is now free of that so lets expand how the F abilities work.

Solution: Shatters are redesigned

I suggest moving aspects of the Psionic utilities to the shatters including the ground targeting. I’m going for a more active approach to mitigation by providing tools for the Virtuoso to control the battlefield. We can also reuse the animations already created for the utilities.

F1 (Rain of Swords) - Create a storm of blades that attacks a large area, damaging, applying cripple and vulnerability to enemies.

F2 (Sword of Decimation) – Drop a massive blade on a location, immobilizing and weakening enemies. This attack deals increased damage against foes activating skills and downed foes.

F3 (Psychic Force) – Emit a shockwave of blades around you knocking back nearby foes and absorbing projectiles it passes through. Gain regeneration, swiftness and might.

F4 (Thousand Cuts) – Fire a flurry of blades, damaging, slowing and fearing foes. Gain might and fury.

2) Phantasms need to go

The decision to lose clones and keep phantasms is a design middle ground that doesn’t give the concept of the Virtuoso (actuality) a chance.

Solution: Illusory attacks

All phantasm skills are replaced with (illusory attacks) that the Mesmer preforms themselves, thus stocking an illusory (blade) after. These attacks for time’s sake take existing animations from other professions combined with purple ethereal weapons. While these skills could keep the same functionality as the original skills, I would hope for some additional tailoring of the skills for the Virtuoso’s play style.

3) Utilities/Heal/Elite

The previous utilities have been moved to the shatters so we need replacement Utilities/Heal/Elite.

Solution: More Illusory attacks

The heal, utilities and elite will also be illusory attacks because it strengthens the concept of the more physical Mesmer and allows the mechanics to bring it into gameplay. You could translate any number of different offensive, defensive, and utility effects into these attacks. This style of ability also has the upside of being able to pull animations from other professions and keeps the stocking blades mechanic, maximizing the little time we have left to course correct the Virtuoso.

4) Dagger sucks

Environmental weapons have more use. I don’t have much to say about dagger, the weapon skills don’t do anything...not a single boon, condition, mechanic, effect. Whatever the purpose of the Virtuoso should be reflected in the weapon they get...so I’m really not enjoying where the Virtuoso is headed.

5) Traits

MAKE THEM WORK. Look at traits that relate to clones and phantasms and find a way to translate them over to blades or change them completely. The Mesmer is VERY entangled with clones/phantasms, it was a daunting task to try and convert the profession to anything else.

Conclusion

We don’t have time to redesign the Virtuoso so I’m suggesting taking the abilities/animations we already have and create at bare minimum the mechanical play style that the Virtuoso deserves, it can go beyond damage. The Virtuoso should be very involved in fighting, controlling the field, using it’s own strength for attacks while being upfront and blunt.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Skills

• Dagger 2 Bladecall - Emphasize in the skill description that this only restocks 1 blade (even if multiple blades hit a target, or if the blades hit multiple targets)
  • Rain of Swords and Sword of Decimation - Animations are too similar
  • Maybe Sword of Decimation can come up from the ground like Greatsword skill 3
  • Or Rain of Swords can summon a portal on the ground and a portal in the air, and the blades fly upward from the ground portal up into the air portal
  • Blade Renewal - redundant interaction with Psychic Reposte since they both restock blades
  • Bladesongs - F1 and F2 require a target to cast but F3 does not. These 3 skills seem like they should function consistently with whether all 3 require a target or not.
  • "Blade" - Refer to the 5 "blades" replacing clones with a different term because it can be confused for the "blade" skill type

Traits

• Quiet Intensity - Vitality interaction seems random. No other aspect of this spec interacts with or is themed around vitality or health percentage.
  • Mental Focus - Feels bad when most skills have 1200 range. 
  • Have a different bonus effect when far, like 15% damage far and 5% damage near
  • Or when blades pierce they do +5% damage to the 2nd target, +10% to the 3rd, +15% to the 4th, and +20% to the 5th
  • Duelist's Reversal and Psychic Reposte - feels too similar functionally. Only have one of these traits proc on evades/blocks
  • Infinite Forge - feels too passive 
  • stock a blade when a blade hits a foe at a far range with a 2 second CD
  • Psychic Reposte - redundant interaction with Blade Renewal skill since they both restock blades
  • Condition Damage row - CMC's reasoning for this was that a condition damage alternative is necessary because F2 Bladesong Sorrow applies confusion
  • Replace one of these cdps traits with a trait that makes confusion damage scale off of another stat (like ferocity or precision, which are both thematically relevant to this spec), and then another trait in this row can apply more confusion on blades (relevant to psionic theme or with turning mental power into physical harm)
  • Or replace a cdps trait with a trait that increases direct damage to confused foes or reduces damage taken from confused foes to make confusion impactful for power damage builds
  • This row could provide alternate options for power damage builds so that the rows aren't so rigid in purpose (defense, pdps, and cdps)
  • Another cdps trait can be replaced with a trait that makes blades no longer count as projectile to bypass projectile reflects (great for WvW, good in PvP, and flavorful to use in niche PvE scenarios)
Edited by Eddy.7051
Grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The condi traitline still upsets me since the core condi weapons are still unviable on Virtuoso anyway. 

We've seen builds like Condi Chronomancer and Power Mirage get used in various content over the years despite sort of running counter to the elite spec's main draw.  This is because the core weapons still function perfectly well on these professions.  Sure Mirage might be a primarily condition damage spec, but Greatsword and Sword+X worked just as well as they always had on core.  

This is also because the traits on both of these lines are filled with a lot more interesting choices that still work regardless of if you're condi or power.  Elusive Mind and Chronophantasma for example, both the new and old version of these traits are great regardless if you are power or condi.  Power Mirage didn't need a traitline brute forcing specifically power damage onto Mirage.  Condi Chrono didn't need a traitline brute forcing condition onto Chronomancer. 

But Virtuoso for some reason does.  Arenanet wants condi Virtuoso to be a thing.  And like people shouldn't be literally prevented from running it.  But they have an entire line of traits dedicated to making Dagger and Virtuoso condi when that isn't necessary.  If you want people to still think about Condition Virtuoso, you need to make scepter and staff functional on Virtuoso which they currently are not. 

I've done a lot of testing on this over the years, and condition staff and scepter both gain about 50% of their auto attack damage from having 3 clones auto attacking alongside the mesmer.  When you do not have clones on either of these weapons, their auto attacks are among the absolute worst in the game in terms of damage and killing potential.  Virtuoso removes the capacity to have any clones, but it doesn't adjust either the stacks or the duration of staff and scepter conditions to make their damage making them functionally unviable as weapons. No one is going to want to play condi virtuoso when your best condition weapons now do ~33% of the DPS as a ranger longbow auto attacking.

So scrap the condi traits and fix scepter and staff on Virtuoso.  No other elite spec straight up nerfs its core weapons by 50% like this. 

• Like 3

Well, I’ve been really enjoying virtuoso. I’m a relatively new Deadeye main, not a Mesmer, so I don’t miss the lack of clones. Sorry mesmers, but I found them mostly annoying so far. 

Because I like Virtuoso, I decided to try and see what things did and didn’t work for myself. 

A few things that didn’t work so well is the auto attack projectile speed being a bit too slow. I hadn’t gotten around to testing on the Blade songs yet, but I expect it to be similar. 

One thing I like, that I think I might get some flak for is the dagger. I think it’s cool how it secretly stacks vuln and sometimes bleeding for a condi build. I think it’s interesting how it makes the dagger customizable compared to something like ranger Shortbow which is going to always lean condi. I like that the Greatsword is now a blade weapon, and I hope the swords are too soon. I’d like to see more traits that augment blades like this that can make any blade weapon work differently than it ordinarily does are interesting to me and I would like to see this idea implemented further. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

good animation. but bad gameplay. bad utility for pvp, no reason take it

no power build for pvp, not so bad condi build for pvp. mirage still much better
survive near 0, bad survive vs condi. mirage much better

mobility 0. mirage much better

not bad damage, but no burst, too long cast time for shatter, enemy can ez escape it, if goes 1 step behind me, or ez dodge.

why i should play virtuoso in pvp, if i have 4 good mirage build for pvp. that much better?

• Like 4

It could benefit strongly if the perks in the top row - the ones that generate blades when blocking or dodging - also reduced the cooldown of the bladesongs on a successful block or dodge (or maybe just the one last used?). This would allow for a lot more smoothness and fun in the gameplay rather than having plenty of blades all the time and no ability to fire them

Clones at least do things when you spawn too many of them - blades not so much. Maybe there could be some changes with regards to that?

- spare blades fire off automatically?
- spare blades reduce cooldown of bladesongs?
- spare blades give healing?

Edited by Ilesonce.7435
  • Like 4

Its funny how they state virtuoso was suppose to be a shatter spec but chrono is better at it. Chrono at least applies alacrity to itself when shattering therefore reducing the CD of shatters whereas Virtuoso has the same exact CD with no CD reduction for it to "shatter more".

People saying that the nice QoL of blades restocking is fine but as long as the shatters are the same CD you are not getting much value of self restocking blades.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Its funny how they state virtuoso was suppose to be a shatter spec but chrono is better at it. Chrono at least applies alacrity to itself when shattering therefore reducing the CD of shatters whereas Virtuoso has the same exact CD with no CD reduction for it to "shatter more".

People saying that the nice QoL of blades restocking is fine but as long as the shatters are the same CD you are not getting much value of self restocking blades.

Strongly seconding this

Edit: Come to think of it, Chrono with the clone superspeed perk is basically already a Virtuoso

Edited by Ilesonce.7435
  • Like 3

i feel like the deadly blades change was a bit of a missed opportunity; instead of providing a simple dmg% bonus after bladesong cast, bladesongs couldve had an active portion which this bonus would be attached to. each bladesong couldve been given different passive effects while active to assist in addressing certain pitfalls in competitive play, on top of temporarily modifying properties of all projectiles, such as increasing velocity or bypassing projectile hate, for its duration

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

each bladesong couldve been given different passive effects while active to assist in addressing certain pitfalls in competitive play, on top of temporarily modifying properties of all projectiles, such as increasing velocity or bypassing projectile hate, for its duration

This is such a good idea, and would go a long way to differentiating bladesongs from the core shatters. Personally I think one of the bladesongs should grant fury, which is such and important boon for the spec, but other unique buffs to the bladesongs would be very good as well.

1 hour ago, Ilesonce.7435 said:

- spare blades fire off automatically?
- spare blades reduce cooldown of bladesongs?
- spare blades give healing?

I also second this. There are so many times when you have max blades and all your shatters are on cooldown. Even if you reduce the shatter cooldowns drastically, it will still happen fairly often. Shooting out spare blades would make having max blades not feel so much of a punishment and would add to that "death by a thousand cuts" vibe I get from the spec. Also, if blades applied some passive effect based on the number you had (like improved crit chance maybe?) it would also make having max blades feel less bad.

• Like 3

Ok. 

So I got a lot of flak yesterday just for saying that I've been having a lot of fun playing with virtuoso.

So here's my 0 experience, two bucks worth of proper feedback then.

Only had 2 mesmers, chrono and mirage for 4 and 2 years aprox. respectively. 

First of all, phantasms need to go. Just like clones did.

They need to be replaced with something related to blades.

It just doesn't fit with the blade theme.

Solution:

When you would spawn a phantasm, you spawn a projectile blade instead.

Phantasmal Ward for instance, can still reflect projectiles, but the visual effect should be around the player, minus the phantasm. 

This needs to be worked on together with traits too.

Minor bug in blade pips.

If you highlight one pip, when you have just one blade; as the number increases, it still displays the previous number of blades instead of the updated unit count.

The sound effect on the utility skill sounds like a drain pipe.

Surely you can do better than this!?

Why does all the F skills apply the same condition?

I'd like to see Torment in there.

Also they should apply boons other than just damage increase for 2 seconds.

Also, because clones are replaced with blades, there needs to be some sort of visual effect around target.

Solution.

Vulnerability only needs to be in one F skill, and all others replaced with other conditions, such as torment.

When a blade is shattered, at least one F skill needs to properly interrupt.

Utility Skills

Rain of swords should cripple or interrup.

I don't know why Psychic Force defensive skill generates might and fury, when it should be barrier/protection/Aegis or even stability.

Same with F4 Bladeturn Requiem. 

More on skills.

Unstable Bladestorm.

I agree that this skill is too slow.

Either make it faster, or make it pursue target; or make it spawn on target's location and its AoE needs to be increased.

Maybe even add a pull to it, and suck targets in.

Although this works well with Temporal Curtain's, into the void.

Which already does that.

I'm thinking that it may had been intended that way?

Lastly, needs to cause bleeding.

Everything else has been covered by other people, I think.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Levetty.1279 said:

The damage is kitten, why are you lying?

I think they don’t care it is just about avoiding having to learn chronomancer. This is the whole idea behind this spec I think. And devs don’t listen to feedback because the class is meant to do just that no matter if we’ll or not

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OriOri.8724 said:

And even that is beside the point since it comes back to you trying to make this work as a tanking rotation, when the spec is supposed to be pure, selfish DPS. A tanking rotation shouldn't even be a thing on it

Then why do we have traits that plays around aegis ? (virtuoso 111) They obviously intended for a tanking build (that don't rely on clones to distract the enemy).

5 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

First of all, phantasms need to go. Just like clones did.

It's a cool idea, but it would require a lot of work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

I think they don’t care it is just about avoiding having to learn chronomancer. This is the whole idea behind this spec I think. And devs don’t listen to feedback because the class is meant to do just that no matter if we’ll or not

Except I play pChrono all the time, so that does not apply. Nice try, though.

You all don't have to play Virt. Your choice.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4