Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

6 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'm glad you asked, and by glad I mean oh lord, here we go to butt town. The simplest answer would be the closest thing we have to swimwear right now, which is naked model underwear and Southsun minis (which can be displayed everywhere). In terms of legitimate full moons with 0% coverage, there were glitched items in the game for a time which gave a full front and back view of all of the everything on character models and you would not believe the tender love and care given to the back half. I've seen it. I can't unsee it. Now that I know what lies beneath, the buttcapes feel like a mockery.

As for revealing clothes, most of the bootycentric garments are for female models (guys get buttcapes, bustles, or flat expanses of featureless sorrow; law of the universe, I guess) and either give skin-tight visuals, an easy view all the way up the thighs (as with the Elonian Elementalist outfit or many of the various core Tyria pieces like the Masquerade Leggings) or, by virtue of clipping, sitting in chairs, and interacting with objects, a full view of the bare backside. Apart from butts, we also have the fullbody glory (terror?) of the Starborn Armor which I've seen dyed to look like flesh. And let's also not forget the assortment of lightweight and Sylvari cultural armors , some of which are just a string of beads and a tasteful leaf over the booba.

People seem largely fine with the revealing garments we currently have (visible legs, arms, sides, groins, thighs, lower backs, side of butt, clearly-defined-in-tight-pants butt, gravity-defying modesty leaf, and astral nudity). So, with this kind of thing already in the game (atop the fact that you can just remove all your gear and see one (1) scanty person), I don't see swimwear as anything more than yet another light armor ArenaNet could capitalize on.

And buttcapes? I think a number of armors would look better without them, but that's a topic for another thread.

Those all look like they actually cover the butt, with the obvious exception of the nudist-glitches....which are by definition unintentional.  Tight pants and bikini/brief bottoms covered by layers of overlapping cloth is not what I think of when someone says "a game where you can already see a whole butt (or worse) already".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

While I'd never say no to dyeable underwear, I do think it misses the point of a proper Swimsuit outfit. Addressing the concerns about 'I don't want to see people fighting in swimwear', I get it. I don't like seeing people fight in magic girl outfits and particle effect nightmare outfits and neon leotards when I try and keep my character in proper looking armor for battle. However, I just deal with it because that's the way it is. So if I can do that, people can deal with seeing a norn in a speedo fighting the Ruinbringer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

While I'd never say no to dyeable underwear, I do think it misses the point of a proper Swimsuit outfit. Addressing the concerns about 'I don't want to see people fighting in swimwear', I get it. I don't like seeing people fight in magic girl outfits and particle effect nightmare outfits and neon leotards when I try and keep my character in proper looking armor for battle. However, I just deal with it because that's the way it is. So if I can do that, people can deal with seeing a norn in a speedo fighting the Ruinbringer.

Yeah, I certainly don't think it's that big of a deal, but I'd be happy with a compromise in which we can A) Choose from several underwear swimwear styles in character creation and B) dye them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

While I'd never say no to dyeable underwear, I do think it misses the point of a proper Swimsuit outfit. Addressing the concerns about 'I don't want to see people fighting in swimwear', I get it. 

I do too, in the sense you mean, but the thing that annoys me about it from Anet's side: they made underwater combat a thing.  They gave us "breathers," even if you have to default to "it works by magic" to explain how you actually use it to breathe.  They gave us specific, underwater-only weapons... the spear especially which many people wanted for land use ala GW1, so unless Anet was just mocking those people, it certainly looks to me like Anet wanted something special for underwater.  But... they won't do underwater armor or swimsuits, and the only reason given (again, on Anet's side, and I'm not clear if it was actually stated somewhere or just implied somewhere along the way), is "we don't want people fighting on land in swimsuits."  Then only make them usable underwater!  If it REALLY bothers you that much (Anet), just add underwater armor or swimsuits coded to work exactly like the breathers and weapons.  But nothing at all?  Why by all the Six would you go all that way and then... just... stop?!

I know, I know, abandoned content.  Or hard to code 9 years in, even though that dodges the question as to why they didn't bother doing it the first time.  But as a serious question, with the weapons and breather already coded that way, is it that hard to extend it to armor?

Tight pants and bikini/brief bottoms covered by layers of overlapping cloth is not what I think of when someone says "a game where you can already see a whole butt (or worse) already".

Morrowind, Better Bodies, and Cenobite's armor mods.  To the Confuseds coming: look them up, the mods are still available, but I certainly can't post pictures here.  That's all I'll say, but I agree with you, Greyhawk.

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 1

What I am saying is dyable undies is better than nothing if swimwear outfits is a concern that we may all catch a cold fighting in them. The female undies looks like bikinis anyway.

It's weird that we can colour our hair (hair accessories too), our eyes, change our skin tones, dye all armours and now even backpack skins can be dyed but not our one and only set of 10 year old undies??

Hard to code? What happened to new coding technology discovered? 😶

Edited by Mil.3562

On 12/17/2021 at 5:30 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, it'll save my family the little grimace we all share when my daughter creates another new light armor character. Yeah, she quickly replaces it, but she doesn't feel comfortable with her character wearing it, so it's a little awkward moment after character creation.

Btw, deeply moved by the justification quoted above, I think we can't afford exposing innocent daughters to any more bare pixelated skin than absolutely necessary. As such, it's unthinkable to me that anyone would want to introduce swimming suits or -gasp- bikinis in the form of outfits that could possibly fill the world of tyria and corrupt the minds of younger players. Of course the same goes for the dyeable underwear, which would unnecessarily and irresponsibly pull more attention of the players to that forbidden part of the wardrobe. Just think about all the awkward gimaces those families would have to share. 😖  

tl;dr: Gibson, what happened to you?! Don't forget about the children! 😢 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Btw, deeply moved by the justification quoted above, I think we can't afford exposing innocent daughters to any more bare pixelated skin than absolutely necessary. As such, it's unthinkable to me that anyone would want to introduce swimming suits or -gasp- bikinis in the form of outfits that could possibly fill the world of tyria and corrupt the minds of younger players. Of course the same goes for the dyeable underwear, which would unnecessarily and irresponsibly pull more attention of the players to that forbidden part of the wardrobe. Just think about all the awkward gimaces those families would have to share. 😖  

Amusing, Sobx.

I was pretty clear in that thread I have no problem with skimpy armor in the game.  I do like that my daughter, who doesn’t want to wear it, doesn’t have it assigned to her automatically at character creation.

You must be really running low on forum battlegrounds for you to reach this hard.

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I have to agree with Gibson, that quote wasn't from this thread or topic, and trying to use his kid against him is pretty low.

17 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Morrowind, Better Bodies, and Cenobite's armor mods.  To the Confuseds coming: look them up, the mods are still available, but I certainly can't post pictures here.  That's all I'll say, but I agree with you, Greyhawk.

Indeed I am familiar with that sort of modding, I play Conan Exiles after all.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I have to agree with Gibson, that quote wasn't from this thread or topic, and trying to use his kid against him is pretty low.

Indeed I am familiar with that sort of modding, I play Conan Exiles after all.

Not "using his kid against him", since "his kid" isn't the only one that plays this game -his story barely serves as an example here. Not sure why it's being dismissed here, these aren't my words. Seeing how mini skirts can be -and apparently are, as evident in the quoted post- the source of parental concern, awkwardness and grimaces to some of the players' families, we really shouldn't draw more attention to bare skin by lobbying for skimpy swimsuit outfits 😢 

Again, not sure how that's "low", these are not my words, I'm just aware of the concerns raised by someone in another thread in similar situation 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 8

24 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not "using his kid against him", since "his kid" isn't the only one that plays this game -his story barely serves as an example here. Not sure why it's being dismissed here, these aren't my words. Seeing how mini skirts can be -and apparently are, as evident in the quoted post- the source of parental concern, awkwardness and grimaces to some of the players' families, we really shouldn't draw more attention to bare skin by lobbying for skimpy swimsuit outfits 😢 

Again, not sure how that's "low", these are not my words, I'm just aware of the concerns raised by someone in another thread in similar situation 🤷‍♂️ 

A (potential) swimsuit outfit would have to be purchased and as such is purely optional, a starter armor that a parent might find awkward and/or distasteful when their child is the one playing that starter character is not as optional.  Frankly its apples and oranges and its low because it looks like you're trying to use this separate issue and situation to make Gibson look like a hypocrite for being (at least ostensibly) in support of Swimsuit outfits.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

A (potential) swimsuit outfit would have to be purchased and as such is purely optional, a starter armor that a parent might find awkward and/or distasteful when their child is the one playing that starter character is not as optional.  Frankly its apples and oranges and its low because it looks like you're trying to use this separate issue and situation to make Gibson look like a hypocrite for being (at least ostensibly) in support of Swimsuit outfits.

It has to be purchased, but also potentially fills the game with players running in "outfits" much skimpier than what some had to "endure" during the character creation. Or does the skimpyness(?) only affect people when they see it on their character? Because that's what I mean this whole time, if it wasn't clear above btw

And "no, not really" on the last part of your post -this is less personal than you're trying to make it seem, the quoted post was simply included as an example of the awkwardness some apparently had to endure in situations that are pretty relevant to potentially introducing a "swimsuit outfit" in gemstore. You know, it's just including the direct example touching on the issue, so it's not seen as me making something up here. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

A (potential) swimsuit outfit would have to be purchased and as such is purely optional

Which is fantastic. I like when we have choices!

And speaking of choice, part of the reason why I haven't voted in the poll for this thread yet is because it just asks for the Kasmeer and Faren bikini pieces instead of an array of swimsuits (which would be my preference). If ArenaNet does the thing, I hope that in addition to being an optional purchase it also gives options in terms of style (Bikinis, trunks, one piece suits, wetsuits, etc.) so that swimwear isn't just a buns-out kind of deal.

People can be thrilled (or not thrilled) by the idea of swimwear, but at the end of the day, what's being requested would just be another fashion choice. The difference between a t-shirt being available at a shop versus someone chasing you down and forcing the t-shirt onto you (as was the case with the starter gear that got adjusted recently).

As for the complaints that people would be 'forced to see' swimsuits, I'd direct them to the usual answer given with regard to infusions and other eyebleed: Set model quality to low. We already survive ungeared characters and light armor; we'd survive swimwear just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Which is fantastic. I like when we have choices!

And speaking of choice, part of the reason why I haven't voted in the poll for this thread yet is because it just asks for the Kasmeer and Faren bikini pieces instead of an array of swimsuits (which would be my preference). If ArenaNet does the thing, I hope that in addition to being an optional purchase it also gives options in terms of style (Bikinis, trunks, one piece suits, wetsuits, etc.) so that swimwear isn't just a buns-out kind of deal.

People can be thrilled (or not thrilled) by the idea of swimwear, but at the end of the day, what's being requested would just be another fashion choice. The difference between a t-shirt being available at a shop versus someone chasing you down and forcing the t-shirt onto you (as was the case with the starter gear that got adjusted recently).

As for the complaints that people would be 'forced to see' swimsuits, I'd direct them to the usual answer given with regard to infusions and other eyebleed: Set model quality to low. We already survive ungeared characters and light armor; we'd survive swimwear just fine.

I will say in regards t othis, that I'd also  love havinga variety of options for swimwear. As we were originally supposed to on the old town clothes system, but I'm trying to work within the confines of anet's outfit system.

15 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

17 pages of a righteous and just cause and still no swimsuits

For shame Anet

For shame

We fight on, brother. Look at our army of beach goers.

Assuming I did my math correctly; 197 people support swimsuits. 0 are against. The vote speaks for itself.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

I will say in regards t othis, that I'd also  love havinga variety of options for swimwear. As we were originally supposed to on the old town clothes system, but I'm trying to work within the confines of anet's outfit system.

We fight on, brother. Look at our army of beach goers.

Assuming I did my math correctly; 197 people support swimsuits. 0 are against. The vote speaks for itself.

Over the years, this has been requested many times over here and in Reddit too but ANet just won't budge 😥 Whatever the problem is, please fix it. There has to be a way to go around it. Seek And You Shall Find. Big money here ANet.

And i think bringing up daughters as an excuse to ban swimwear in A GAME is pretty lame and it's as low as you can get. Omg, it's only a swimsuit not nudity. You never see swim wears IRL? This is 2022 people. Time to wake up 😄

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

And i think bringing up daughters as an excuse to ban swimwear in A GAME is pretty lame and it's as low as you can get. Omg, it's only a swimsuit not nudity. You never see swim wears IRL? This is 2022 people. Time to wake up 😄

Just to be clear, no one actually did that. A poster dragged an unrelated post from a thread about starter armor into this thread to make it look like that. But it was a strawman to give them something to argue against.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9+ years and no swimsuits. The reason is simple: The devs probably feel like they are absolutely unnecessary and would add nothing to the game. I'm not against the swimsuits, I'm just saying that's probably why we don't have them and likely never will. Plus, they can argue that if you want a swimsuit, just take off all your equipment, as your character's undergarments suffice as swimwear, as evident by the beach goers at karkaland. Additionally, while Kasmeer did get an actual swimsuit and obviously the character model exists for the human females, the devs probably won't divert time and resources to create similar swimwear for the other races and both genders.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

9+ years and no swimsuits. The reason is simple: The devs probably feel like they are absolutely unnecessary and would add nothing to the game. I'm not against the swimsuits, I'm just saying that's probably why we don't have them and likely never will. Plus, they can argue that if you want a swimsuit, just take off all your equipment, as your character's undergarments suffice as swimwear, as evident by the beach goers at karkaland. Additionally, while Kasmeer did get an actual swimsuit and obviously the character model exists for the human females, the devs probably won't divert time and resources to create similar swimwear for the other races and both genders.

Yes and no. There are swimsuit models available for every race, and Anet did apparently plan to release them. Though thats fair for Kasmeer and Faren specifically. The idea that it adds nothing to the game is ridiculous (Not saying that against you, mind, saying it to anet if that is actually there thinking.) Half of the outfits that are absolutely ridiculous didn't add anything either. You raise good points, but they tend to be disproved by Anet's actions alone.

Will we get swimsuits? We'll see. I like the fact this thread has been going strong for so long, and I believe is the longest running thread for swimsuits. (I'm basing that claim on absolutely no evidence, but I am the king of the thread so what I say goes.)

I'd also like to dispel the idea that if Anet thinks its a waste of time, that must be true. It's their game, yes, and they made it one we all want to play. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for that. They're also still just a group of people. Who can make mistakes. They've -made- mistakes. That's fine. If they don't think swimsuits are worth getting a few guys on, even after the expac rolls out? That's a little loony on their part.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Yes and no. There are swimsuit models available for every race, and Anet did apparently plan to release them. Though thats fair for Kasmeer and Faren specifically. The idea that it adds nothing to the game is ridiculous (Not saying that against you, mind, saying it to anet if that is actually there thinking.) Half of the outfits that are absolutely ridiculous didn't add anything either. You raise good points, but they tend to be disproved by Anet's actions alone.

Will we get swimsuits? We'll see. I like the fact this thread has been going strong for so long, and I believe is the longest running thread for swimsuits. (I'm basing that claim on absolutely no evidence, but I am the king of the thread so what I say goes.)

I'd also like to dispel the idea that if Anet thinks its a waste of time, that must be true. It's their game, yes, and they made it one we all want to play. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for that. They're also still just a group of people. Who can make mistakes. They've -made- mistakes. That's fine. If they don't think swimsuits are worth getting a few guys on, even after the expac rolls out? That's a little loony on their part.

There's one other possible reason that I didn't mention: cries of sexism from some of the more verbose players among us. Swimsuits are probably seen as something that reduces women to objects, according to some. While most of us here likely don't see it that way, the fact that there are some who would is enough of a concern. All it takes is for one person to write some article on some blog about how the game 'objectifies women' and then there would be a hailstorm of bad publicity for the game. That also may or may not be why the game has no skimpy armors, either, but I digress; we're talking swimsuits, not armors.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

What part of 'King of the Thread' don't you understand. Also, there is the option to say no to swimsuits. I don't know where that option is, but it's somewhere. Someone will find it.

I will admit though, you are correct about the poll being wrong. It's not 197 in favour, it's 199. Fun fact, at 200 votes 'Yes', Anet has to implement a given feature. So who's gonna be that lucky 200th vote.

Trust me, I fully get the 'king of the thread'. I have arrogant narcissistic tendencies as well. The difference is that when I do it, I do it without artificially inflating myself. The fact remains your poll does not have no for an option, and you shouldn't use that sort of tactic to bring up valid points. It brings discredit to you and whatever point you are trying to make (the call for adding swimsuits to the game, which I am in favor of but never expect it to happen). You can't tell these people that nobody is against swimsuits, though. It's like states trying to say they have no new cases of COVID simply because they stopped tracking the data.

21 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No need to drag politics into these forums.  Polls have biases regardless of what political affiliation presents them.

I'm not, I'm using real life examples to make a point about how OP can't really say that everybody wants swimsuits because his poll does not have 'no' as an option. There are biased polls, and then there are intentionally bad and misleading polls that try to convey something is fact that really isn't. I know it's just about swimsuits in a game, but as I mentioned before, I think it's wrong to taut flawed data as fact, even in jest.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

Trust me, I fully get the 'king of the thread'. I have arrogant narcissistic tendencies as well. The difference is that when I do it, I do it without artificially inflating myself. The fact remains your poll does not have no for an option, and you shouldn't use that sort of tactic to bring up valid points. It brings discredit to you and whatever point you are trying to make (the call for adding swimsuits to the game, which I am in favor of but never expect it to happen). You can't tell these people that nobody is against swimsuits, though. It's like states trying to say they have no new cases of COVID simply because they stopped tracking the data.

I'm not, I'm using real life examples to make a point about how OP can't really say that everybody wants swimsuits because his poll does not have 'no' as an option. There are biased polls, and then there are intentionally bad and misleading polls that try to convey something is fact that really isn't. I know it's just about swimsuits in a game, but as I mentioned before, I think it's wrong to taut flawed data as fact, even in jest.

The votes keep going up, I don't know what to tell you. In fact I think you're driving more yes votes. Also don't kinkshame me in my own thread.

In all honesty, I have no idea what you're talking about. This is a thread, for swimsuits in a game. A game that already has them, and won't release them because <insert nonsensical idea here.> It's not about charr physiology, or other outfits, or starting outfits, or anything like that. It's swimsuits, I don't know what to tell you, go to a beach, you'll see 'em.

As for why it's hard to find the 'no' option to the poll, I consider it akin to a poll like; 'Do you breathe in oxygen'. Do you really need a 'No' option? Anyone who votes 'No' to a poll like that is being a rascal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Altonese.6542 said:

The votes keep going up, I don't know what to tell you. In fact I think you're driving more yes votes. Also don't kinkshame me in my own thread.

In all honesty, I have no idea what you're talking about. This is a thread, for swimsuits in a game. A game that already has them, and won't release them because <insert nonsensical idea here.> It's not about charr physiology, or other outfits, or starting outfits, or anything like that. It's swimsuits, I don't know what to tell you, go to a beach, you'll see 'em.

As for why it's hard to find the 'no' option to the poll, I consider it akin to a poll like; 'Do you breathe in oxygen'. Do you really need a 'No' option? Anyone who votes 'No' to a poll like that is being a rascal.

Yes, you do need a no option for your poll. You are trying to bring up a valid point about the swimsuits to ArenaNet and  I'm with you on that part. I would like them added to the game. The problem is that your poll makes the entire thing seem like you don't actually want them added and you are kind of making the case against the swimsuits by doing so. You're basically presenting your entire case for swimsuits as sarcasm. Now, if you actually don't want the swimsuits added to the game then I apologize for my misunderstanding, but I was under the impression that you wanted them in the game.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

Why didn't you just say that instead of bringing Trump and his followers into it?

• Like 3