Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

You want literal bikini armor? ....Ok, though I'm not sure how your going to fill all six armor slots....

This got me thinking, have we discussed arm floaties in this thread yet? Because I bet the plush backpack and hoodie audience would totally go for floaties as shoulder pieces. 

And in honor of the Quaggan thread, the first available should feature our beloved blob-race. Cooo!

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

You want literal bikini armor? ....Ok, though I'm not sure how your going to fill all six armor slots....

They can simply release two pieces, chest and bottom.

For the other slots, we already have toggles and invisible foot armour (which Arenanet still needs to significantly improve the acquisition rate for).

But the main point is, as long as it's armour, it has objectively more value due to having the possibility of being mixed with armour. Outfits lack that option and thus have significantly less value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I'm not sure how your going to fill all six armor slots....

Dang, this is actually a great thinking point.

Gibson's got shoulders covered with floaties, so let's brainstorm.

Helm - Swim goggles/Stripe of sunscreen/Snorkel/Shark fin/Swim cap/Sun visor/Floppy sun hat/Terrifying enraged Quaggan mask/Antique brass diving suit helm
Shoulders - Floaties/The shoulder portion of a tied off towel being worn as a cape/Yet more stripes of sunscreen/Fishy fins
Chest - Various bikini tops/Lifeguard shirt/Tank top/Onesie swimsuit/Wetsuit top/Fish scale patterned top/That one t-shirt with the abs printed on it
Gloves - Wrist floaties/Chunky waterproof watch/Gloves with fins along the forearms
Pants - Various swim bottoms/Trunks/Towel/Wetsuit leggings/Pants with fins down the backs of the legs
Boots - Flippers/Sandals/Flipflops/Those awful rubber shoes with toes built into them/Sea monster feet
Backpiece - Towel cape/Back-mounted shark fin/Beach Gourdon clinging to your spine for dear life/Scuba tank

If we go with the idea that they could release multiple stylistic and seasonal designs for swimwear, they could package these things in any combination or theme they felt like. Halloween Splash Pack, Wintersday Ice Dip Combo, Summertime Poolside Party Pack, Southsun Swim Starter Set, Sylvan, Hoelbrak, Swimwear of the Gods etc. Anybody got other skin ideas for the various armor slots?

EDIT: Life preserver jacket chestpiece. Can't believe I almost forgot that; that's like the first thing in swim safety.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Dang, this is actually a great thinking point.

Gibson's got shoulders covered with floaties, so let's brainstorm.

Helm - Swim goggles/Stripe of sunscreen/Snorkel/Shark fin/Swim cap/Sun visor/Floppy sun hat/Terrifying enraged Quaggan mask/Antique brass diving suit helm
Shoulders - Floaties/The shoulder portion of a tied off towel being worn as a cape/Yet more stripes of sunscreen/Fishy fins
Chest - Various bikini tops/Lifeguard shirt/Tank top/Onesie swimsuit/Wetsuit top/Fish scale patterned top/That one t-shirt with the abs printed on it
Gloves - Wrist floaties/Chunky waterproof watch/Gloves with fins along the forearms
Pants - Various swim bottoms/Trunks/Towel/Wetsuit leggings/Pants with fins down the backs of the legs
Boots - Flippers/Sandals/Flipflops/Those awful rubber shoes with toes built into them/Sea monster feet
Backpiece - Towel cape/Back-mounted shark fin/Beach Gourdon clinging to your spine for dear life/Scuba tank

If we go with the idea that they could release multiple stylistic and seasonal designs for swimwear, they could package these things in any combination or theme they felt like. Halloween Splash Pack, Wintersday Ice Dip Combo, Summertime Poolside Party Pack, Southsun Swim Starter Set, Sylvan, Hoelbrak, Swimwear of the Gods etc. Anybody got other skin ideas for the various armor slots?

EDIT: Life preserver jacket chestpiece. Can't believe I almost forgot that; that's like the first thing in swim safety.

I'll come back to this and be amazed at  the ideas you guys come up with, big love to you guys. One day our swimsuits will come, and we will be in the promised land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Don't suggest Arenanet to turn them into any other than armour. They need to be able to be mixed with armour to have as much value as possible.

I said "and" so they can make them both at same time. I'm getting impatient though, release is almost here and I don't want to look stupid while sailing.

I can't even take my shoes off to keep them from getting wet without paying 3k gold for invisible stompers.

Don't forget simple chest pieces that are just shell and/or bead necklaces like FFXIV has.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:38 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Exactly, by repeating the same post you've made a week ago, hence I wrote what I wrote -comedy gold 🤷‍♂️  

I think no one repeated the same (opposing) post more than you. Why are you against swimwear so much that you tag this topic very closely and fast to rebut every new posts you see here? Not reprimanding, just curious? 😯 Please let the 200+ enthusiasts here who are looking forward to this have our fun? We get you already 👌 Thank you.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

I think no one repeated the same (opposing) post more than you. Why are you against swimwear so much that you tag this topic very closely and fast to rebut every new posts you see here? Not reprimanding, just curious? 😯 Please let the 200+ enthusiasts here who are looking forward to this have our fun? We get you already.

wow, you must be missing me a lot to ping me with this super useful and on-topic post 🥰  

"Why"? Reread this thread and you'll know. You start your post with "you're repeating the same (opposing) post" and then you want me to repeat myself again?

And finally, there's easly at least a few people that repeated themselves here way more than I did. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

Oh from the trailer, there will be large scale underwater events in Cantha so does that mean we can fight in new swimwear outfits soon?

I can see the gem store splash page for this perfectly: A handful of player characters in swimwear playing with a new beach ball novelty while a Leviathan rises from below a la Jaws. Comes with a Southsun Mini and Karka helm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Gonna be frank, this fishing skiffs argument/reasoning for swimsuits is a weird one to me as I don't think I've ever worn any kind of swim wear back when I used to go fishing, plus the idea of that much exposed skin around flying barbed hooks gives me the heebie-jeebies.  You know what you have to do if you get a fishing hook stuck into your skin?  Its not pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Gonna be frank, this fishing skiffs argument/reasoning for swimsuits is a weird one to me as I don't think I've ever worn any kind of swim wear back when I used to go fishing, plus the idea of that much exposed skin around flying barbed hooks gives me the heebie-jeebies.  You know what you have to do if you get a fishing hook stuck into your skin?  Its not pleasant.

As someone who's been out fishing, boating, and swimming in the same afternoon, the solution is that half your boat works on their tan and knocks back beers while the other half competes to see who can keep the most fish away from the river turtles - everyone's wearing either swimwear or shorts and short sleeves (which is also swimwear if you're determined). Additionally, most beaches I know allow fishers and swimmers to coexist by virtue of fishing at the piers/depths and swimming at the shore/shallows.

Apart from all that though, you've given me an excellent idea for a new PvP mode where players utilize underwater combat and attempt to score goals around the map while enemy players play defense both in the water and up on land where they try to hook enemy players with their fishing poles (and possibly nets) for a devastating period of immobilization during which their peers finish them off.

Also, scoring enough goals temporarily summons a shark that swims around chomping at the opposing team for maximum chaos.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

As someone that likes skimpy armour, I think swimsuits would look ridiculous and I'd hate for them to add it. 

They’d totally undermine the sparkle unicorn rainbow aesthetics. The succubis vampirella looks, too. And it almost goes without saying it’d cheapen the “every bit of me is on fire and covered in spikes” fashion.

😉

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

They’d totally undermine the sparkle unicorn rainbow aesthetics. The succubis vampirella looks, too. And it almost goes without saying it’d cheapen the “every bit of me is on fire and covered in spikes” fashion.

😉

Genuinely think they fit more than... swimsuits. Swimsuits are so mundane, it's a fantasy game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4