Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

End of Dragons is exciting, however, I notice the lack of swimwear.  I was patiently waiting to see if swimwear would be included in this aquatic expansion, apparently not.  Thus I shall continue to ask Anet for pretty, cute, sexy swimwear for both genders!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I was patiently waiting to see if swimwear would be included in this aquatic expansion, apparently not.

Fear not! The flames of beachside revolution have not yet gone out! I say this because...

Spoiler

Southsun Cove gets mentioned roughly 4-5 times throughout the expansion story and at least one character admits to having a beach house. If we don't get invited in LS6, we riot.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I dunno, going by the armors that were released in EoD, any swimsuit might end up looking like or very similar to this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/1d/d1/111dd1a24e0ad5d580043e44cfeb53ed.jpg

Don't worry, it's not going to happen. Think about it: This design is lacking any ribbons, heels, flames, spikes, chains, flashing lights, crystals and crystals with flashing lights. 🤣

edit: oh my bad, on a second look I did find a ribbon

Edited by Andur.9275
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Since we are spending more time in the water with this expansion AND since outfits are as easy and clicking/toggling them on or off... Then why not some aquatic skins? Maye some shorts. or bikini, or a wet suit with swimming goggles or a diving helmet that can be toggled on and off seperatly. Would be AMAZING for RP and overall would fit with underwater skimmers and the new expansion a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Showing ANY skin in video games is inappropriate in 2022.

That’s silly.

GW2 has plenty of revealing armors.

One of the main NPCs in EOD looks like she’s wearing armor out of a Ziegfeld fantasy.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Which is why any swim suits added to this game will likely resemble this in one form or another: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/1d/d1/111dd1a24e0ad5d580043e44cfeb53ed.jpg

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That’s silly.

One of the main NPCs in EOD looks like she’s wearing armor out of a Ziegfeld fantasy.

The game's almost a decade old, what was acceptable in 2012 no longer seems to be in 2022, and the people running things in Anet aren't the ones doing so back then.  Dunno what NPC you're referring to but the armor sets from this expansion are the most "conservative", kitten near prudish, to date.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Which is why any swim suits added to this game will likely resemble this in one form or another: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/1d/d1/111dd1a24e0ad5d580043e44cfeb53ed.jpg

The game's almost a decade old, what was acceptable in 2012 no longer seems to be in 2022, and the people running things in Anet aren't the ones doing so back then.  Dunno what NPC you're referring to but the armor sets from this expansion are the most "conservative", kitten near prudish, to date.

Kasmir still looks like she could do a show in Vegas. If they were really getting all prudish, they could have introduced a new outfit for her with the expansion. It would have even made story sense in her new role as ambassador that she adopted a more formal court look.

I expect the fullness of the expansion armors are due to the cultural inspirations, not a sudden need to cover all skin. Making some sort of revealing version of clothing inspired by traditional costume would have been a very questionable choice.

Somewhere up in that 20 page thread I linked I pointed out several revealing outfits released in 2019 and 2020. They made a his and hers GW2 version of Eve’s outfit not that long ago that looks like it belongs in the leather community.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Kasmir still looks like she could do a show in Vegas. If they were really getting all prudish, they could have introduced a new outfit for her with the expansion. It would have even made story sense in her new role as ambassador that she adopted a more formal court look.

I expect the fullness of the expansion armors are due to the cultural inspirations, not a sudden need to cover all skin. Making some sort of revealing version of clothing inspired by traditional costume would have been a very questionable choice.

Somewhere up in that 20 page thread I linked I pointed out several revealing outfits released in 2019 and 2020. They made a his and hers GW2 version of Eve’s outfit not that long ago that looks like it belongs in the leather community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 2019/20 is still a few years ago.  This is all still partially tongue in cheek but I'm of the opinion that if Anet has decided not to make anymore revealing armors and outfits it would have been a much more recent decision.  As for it being a questionable choice to have some revealing armors that based off traditional Asian costumes, well that's never stopped actual Asian made and inspired games  like Blade And Soul from doing so, and it didn't stop Anet back when Factions was made.  In my opinion Factions had some of the best GW1 armors, both revealing or not, and I don't like any of the ones released in EoD.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

game is rated T last i checked, most gear shows some skin look at most the cloth sets for human/norn.

as for swimsuits it be nice but again this is not phantasy star online 2 with 40 some swimsuits/costumes looking like swimsuits just saying

Just now, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 2019/20 is still a few years ago.  This is all still partially tongue in cheek but I'm of the opinion that if Anet has decided not to make anymore revealing armors and outfits it would have been a much more recent decision.  As for it being a questionable choice to have some revealing armors that based off traditional Asian costumes, well that's never stopped actual Asian made and inspired games  like Blade And Soul from doing so, and it didn't stop Anet back when Factions was made.  In my opinion Factions had some of the best GW1 armors, both revealing or not, and I don't like any of the ones released in EoD.

True. Though while I don’t think 2022 means “more conservative”, I do think it very much means “more culturally sensitive.”

And Koreans have a lot more leeway to riff on their own culture than a bunch of designers in Seattle.

At any rate, we’re both guessing what’s in the black box of AtenaNet’s design meetings. I know you’re not the only one that has interpreted them as being very skin-shy recently. You also have some of the recent changes to what look gets handed to new players on your side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

And Koreans have a lot more leeway to riff on their own culture than a bunch of designers in Seattle.

They, along side Japanese game makers, also seem to have equal amount of leeway when making armors based off of traditional European and Middle Eastern clothing. 🤔

I smell a double standard. 😒

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That’s silly.

There's also the option to remove any or all your armour at any time, which is also what the diving goggles do as a substitute for swimwear.

It would be nice to have swimwear as an outfit though. For a start it would be dyable but it could also have more variety than the underwaear. (In fact just adding 1 outfit which changes based on race and gender would give us 2 options per character - that and their underwear.)

• Thanks 1

Underwarte skins don't have to be automatically swimwear ala bikini or so.

But i imagine, swimming with a full kitten Armor or with a trenshcoat is somewhat annoying. And there i don't speak about the fitnessfactor. Imagine swimming in an Amor and water is leaking in. Or swiming with a trenchcoat or skirt and haven to fumble this dumb fabric around xD.

And i would love more water-breather skins. I'am currently save for the bubble-thing. But to be honest, this would not be my first choice, when there where more skins available

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Furious.1205 said:

Since we are spending more time in the water with this expansion AND since outfits are as easy and clicking/toggling them on or off... Then why not some aquatic skins? Maye some shorts. or bikini, or a wet suit with swimming goggles or a diving helmet that can be toggled on and off seperatly. Would be AMAZING for RP and overall would fit with underwater skimmers and the new expansion a lot.

You don't dive underwater wearing a bikini... Unless you're suicidal, i guess. (In real life? Sure. In a world where every place is full of aggressive, murderous monsters, including underwater? That's dumb. I mean, that ship has already sailed, but come one. Enough is enough)

At least you had the decency to put something more sensible along with the usual lust driven suggestion.

Edited by Yggranya.5201
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

You don't dive underwater wearing a bikini... Unless you're suicidal, i guess. (In real life? Sure. In a world where every place is full of aggressive, murderous monsters, including underwater? That's dumb. I mean, that ship has already sailed, but come one. Enough is enough)

At least you had the decency to put something more sensible along with the usual lust driven suggestion.

By that logic a lot of the armour is also going to get you killed, especially light armour, because there's a lot of gaps and what is there is largely just made of fabric which isn't going to stop a weapon (or teeth, claws etc.) on it's own. I believe the usual explaination there is it's magical and the defense comes from the magic rather than the material. But there's also a lot of NPCs who go through explorable maps in normal clothing which seems unlikely to be enchanted.

Also if we're talking realism then yes you might get attacked underwater and having a layer of material between you and the attacker might reduce the damage they do, but going under water in an elaborate tin can or layers of flowing fabric is absolutely guarenteed to make it impossible to swim every single time, so addressing the guarenteed problem should take priority over the potential one. (Although again none of this actually applies in GW2 because that's not how the game mechanics work.)

I was going to suggest a wetsuit outfit, but then I remembered we've already got the Abyss Stalker Outfit which is basically a spiky wetsuit.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

By that logic a lot of the armour is also going to get you killed, especially light armour, because there's a lot of gaps and what is there is largely just made of fabric which isn't going to stop a weapon (or teeth, claws etc.) on it's own. I believe the usual explaination there is it's magical and the defense comes from the magic rather than the material. But there's also a lot of NPCs who go through explorable maps in normal clothing which seems unlikely to be enchanted.

Yeah, the realism argument is always prudishness trying to disguise itself as something that's easier to defend. It's easy to say "I want my games to be immersive" and get people to back you up. Prob not so easy to get people to agree if you say "I want my characters to never show skin." So often when this stuff comes up, people just won't admit that they are uncomfortable with it because that sounds selfish as a reason to not want it for everyone as an option, so they'll talk around it about how impractical the armor is and how it can't be because it's immersion-breaking, even though it's usually about a game with some kind of powers like magic where people protect themselves with that. I mean, most armor in fantasy in general is impractical so it can look extravagant, whether it shows skin or not, but you never see someone complaining about the impracticality of the giant shoulder pieces or massive gauntlets. They'll say it's too much or they don't like how it looks, but they won't go for the immersion argument.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Also if we're talking realism then yes you might get attacked underwater and having a layer of material between you and the attacker might reduce the damage they do, but going under water in an elaborate tin can or layers of flowing fabric is absolutely guarenteed to make it impossible to swim every single time, so addressing the guarenteed problem should take priority over the potential one. (Although again none of this actually applies in GW2 because that's not how the game mechanics work.)

I was going to suggest a wetsuit outfit, but then I remembered we've already got the Abyss Stalker Outfit which is basically a spiky wetsuit.

While I agree with your overall point, there are people who have tested swimming in full plate and found it was not as impossible as we imagine.

Frankly, the amount of people running around in cargo shorts and modern t-shirt outfits in the game should put the realism argument to rest for good.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't mind a one piece swimsuit, with a plunging V neckline all the way down to the navel, for both Male and female.  No obscuring garbage, of any sort around the waist to hide the curvature of the posterior.   (mists, sparkles, frills, towels, crustaceans , skirts, jackets tied around hips, ect.) and don't give it the zodiac armor treatment where you replace the skin with a translucent... whatever that is.

• Like 2

I see this finally got merged with the main thread.

8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

By that logic a lot of the armour is also going to get you killed, especially light armour, because there's a lot of gaps and what is there is largely just made of fabric which isn't going to stop a weapon (or teeth, claws etc.) on it's own.

There's actually historical real world examples of armors made of cloth.  Look up Gambeson, a quilted coat of multiple layers of fabric that was common throughout Medieval Europe that actually works very similarly to modern Kevlar body armor.  Obviously no where near as strong as plate armor, but it could mitigate or prevent injuries from sword slashes and could even stop arrows.  Really, if anything, its full leather armor that's what isn't realistic.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

True, some children have to endure seeing their character's skin and as we've seen in another thread, that's an awfully awkward experience for their families that deserve the "sorry you had to go through it" responses. We simply can't let that happen anymore 😄

The fact that you keep bringing a single comment Gibson made in a thread unrelated to this one says a lot more about you than anyone else.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I see this finally got merged with the main thread.

There's actually historical real world examples of armors made of cloth.  Look up Gambeson, a quilted coat of multiple layers of fabric that was common throughout Medieval Europe that actually works very similarly to modern Kevlar body armor.  Obviously no where near as strong as plate armor, but it could mitigate or prevent injuries from sword slashes and could even stop arrows.  Really, if anything, its full leather armor that's what isn't realistic.

The fact that you keep bringing a single comment Gibson made in a thread unrelated to this one says a lot more about you than anyone else.

Whether you like it or not, all I did was bring up one of the comments about the issue that I remember -and it was directly related to the post I've quoted and responded to. It's not directed at anyone specific, not sure why you're trying to make it personal.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 6