Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

12 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Whether you like it or not, all I did was bring up one of the comments about the issue that I remember -and it was directly related to the post I've quoted and responded to. It's not directed at anyone specific, not sure why you're trying to make it personal.

Pure, unadulterated projection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I hope and wait for swimsuits, I found something that can work until that day ever comes... 

So on my (FEMALE NORN) ranger which uses leather, I equip the shark as a pet.

I removed the shoes (Would buy invisible boots of they ever bring them back or the cost is reasonable" , you could use sandals I guess, but almost any footwear underwater is strange.  I also removed (Hid) the shoulders.

For the gear I find that the "Striders Tunic" jacket looks most like a wet suit.

I used "Rouge Gloves " Because they are fingerless.

Pants I used "Mist shard leggings"

Face I used "Air filtration device" out of the water and "Benthic water breather"

For the back I used "Spinal Blade pack" Without blades since it looks like oxygen tanks.

Colors: I dyed everything one dark color to hide details but used gray for my accent color.s

The mount was the Synergetics Hoverbike (underwater  skimmer} since it resembles diving equipment.

I put this all on a second tab to switch to when I am underwater.

---------------------------------------

This was harder to do on my mesmer because of the lack of tight pants.

The closest I could get was...

Either the FULL Abyss stalker outfit (Has boots attached but has at attached breathing mask) , or mixing and matching the "Ice Reaver leggings with the top while using the same aqua breather and air filtration mask for the face.

You could also use the "Diviner's Mist Shard Gambeson" for the top.

----------------------------------------

Not sure about what to use for a bikini alternative but if you find out let me know. 

If anyone figures out what to use for males and other races then let me know.

I could see us getting a "swimwear outfit" but expect a one piece probably for the females. I don't think it would be a bikini. Then on the males, a pair of swim shorts? (Would love a speedo for them haha as the male equivalent if we do get the bikini)  

Edited by Jools.6293
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jools.6293 said:

I could see us getting a "swimwear outfit" but expect a one piece probably for the females. I don't think it would be a bikini. Then on the males, a pair of swim shorts? (Would love a speedo for them haha as the male equivalent if we do get the bikini)  

Kasmeer wears a string bikini in Southsun. Faren wears a speedo. There's a charr with board shorts.

There's room for all kinds of swimwear in GW2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Kasmeer wears a string bikini in Southsun. Faren wears a speedo. There's a charr with board shorts.

There's room for all kinds of swimwear in GW2.

Yeah but those are npcs. It might be one of those things, for example npc hairstyles that aren't available to the player etc.

1 hour ago, Jools.6293 said:

Yeah but those are npcs. It might be one of those things, for example npc hairstyles that aren't available to the player etc.

They need to make those swimsuits available, even if it's just an option to where they're just shown underwater and at Diving Goggles. I'd redo underwater areas a lot more if I could wear those board shorts on my charr.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I think there is too much OVERTHINKING and trying to intellectualize it... Talking about what is logical etc etc...  Let's be simple, Add some swimwear of some sort, it's easy and does not conflict with the world and more than outfits or common clothing does (For those that remember that). Add a little toggle on and off button for the menu, so your outfit can switch when you go underwater or stay on if the checkbox is unchecked. I dunno maybe add someway to dye your undies, lol or even toggle on and off the shoes. Some of these items dyed black already can look like a wetsuit if you remove the shoes.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, Furious.1205 said:

I think there is too much OVERTHINKING and trying to intellectualize it... Talking about what is logical etc etc...  Let's be simple, Add some swimwear of some sort, it's easy and does not conflict with the world and more than outfits or common clothing does (For those that remember that). Add a little toggle on and off button for the menu, so your outfit can switch when you go underwater or stay on if the checkbox is unchecked. I dunno maybe add someway to dye your undies, lol or even toggle on and off the shoes. Some of these items dyed black already can look like a wetsuit if you remove the shoes.

Even thats not simplified enough: leave out the toggle and switch to the swimwear yourself.  Leave out any bit of extra work that might put Anet off of ever making these.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To be honest that whole WATER world and swim suit/ armor thing can go far. We have the skimmer which can now go underwater, maybe they could add enhancements, BUT EVEN MORE. they could open up a whole new expansion since there is so much ocean in Tyria, like where Aaminah and the other LARGOS are from. Imagine what that world could be like. I bet all of the people reading this and taking the time to imagine it are imagining all kinds of cool looking worlds, with creative options... 

On a side note, SPEAKING OF WATER STUFF... I think GW should get rid of the instance portals when traveling via the water. It makes sense when following a road which leads to a new map, but in the water it's kind of ehh, not logical since everything is open and annoying to search it sometimes. It's water so instead of the "Being pushed back by a current" message,  just teleport us to the other map ANET. If you wanna get fancy then add a sailing photo or an animated cutscene as we load or something... 

• Confused 2

In another game I'm playing, we know they exist, but we'll probably never see them there.

Related question, there is a feature in this game where you can set your graphics in such a way that everyone around you is this nameless, faceless generic avatar. Or, only a certain number of people near you load with any sort of detail, but if it's crowded, people further away are grey, ugly avatars.

We know this technology exits.

So what if they were to take that technology, and hijack some of the 'block' code to make a 'visually block' feature? If you don't want to look at someone, you visually block them, then they become this generic avatar that looks like that other setting.

Would that help with any of this? If it would not, is the issue more that you know that someone has something, even if you don't see it, or it's not anywhere near you? Which, I don't know, seems a lot like some weirdness in our world where seemingly people are upset over things that really don't have anything to do with them, right?

19 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Would that help with any of this? If it would not, is the issue more that you know that someone has something, even if you don't see it, or it's not anywhere near you? Which, I don't know, seems a lot like some weirdness in our world where seemingly people are upset over things that really don't have anything to do with them, right?

I'm not sure there are that many people who would have a problem with swimsuits. I've seen a few posts in this huge thread about not wanting to see swimsuit clad people fighting the Claw of Jormag. For the most part, naysayers seem to be speaking for unspecified hypothetical people who would be offended.

That's my perception of the debate, anywway.

I haven't seen anyone complain about southsun beach, nor about mini Southsun Faren and Kashmir. I've never seen anyone complain that people sometimes strip down to their underwear next to the bank, either.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That's my perception of the debate, anywway.

True enough, I guess I was thinking of a topic that's maybe broader than this, which makes this a bad place for my comment, and I apologize for that.

I do stand behind the idea, and the subsequent question(s) for anyone who would feel it would not solve the issue (had I posted this in a better place). 🙂

8 hours ago, Furious.1205 said:

On a side note, SPEAKING OF WATER STUFF... I think GW should get rid of the instance portals when traveling via the water. It makes sense when following a road which leads to a new map, but in the water it's kind of ehh, not logical since everything is open and annoying to search it sometimes. It's water so instead of the "Being pushed back by a current" message,  just teleport us to the other map ANET. If you wanna get fancy then add a sailing photo or an animated cutscene as we load or something... 

This is one of those things where I'm going to have to say THAT line to: I'd rather Arenanet use resources for other features©.  Such maps that could potentially take advantage of such a feature are comparatively few and far between. It just doesn't seem worth the time and work for maybe four or five maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That Thousand Seas Pavilion lounge has beaches with NPCs in swim wears, just like Southsun Cove. It's like we are encouraged to hang out on the beaches but only in full armours and weapons. You are not allowed to stay on the beach or swim in the water in swimsuits >.>

If only they us give a swim wear outfit and not another fishing rod skin 🙄 How many fishing enthusiasts are there in this game and how many are willing to spend real money on their fishing rod for cosmetic enhancement? On the other hand, many here have asked for swimsuits for years and in Reddit too. Those outfits will sell like hotcakes and would even boost up the sales of the Thousand Seas VIP lounge for sure.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

If only they us give a swim wear outfit and not another fishing rod skin

They need to make swim suits be armour pieces.

I'd rather not have swim suits at all than have them be outfits.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I'm not sure there are that many people who would have a problem with swimsuits. I've seen a few posts in this huge thread about not wanting to see swimsuit clad people fighting the Claw of Jormag. For the most part, naysayers seem to be speaking for unspecified hypothetical people who would be offended.

There is more "offensive" armor in the game than swimsuits (some that makes female characters look like members of a certain occupational group, if you get my meaning). Also, speaking of "eye sores", nothing beats the Siege Turtle cluttering events and blocking people's view -- "In your face!", literally. 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

over the years i have often wondered all the beach's in Tyria  only south sun even came close to swim wear  now we have so much more but  at least south sun let us go to the beach in are undies  but Kas got a nice swim wear  but all we have is are undies  and only at south sun   what  about swim wear  not just at beaches but hay every one knows  full plate armor and a deep lake do not mix   a surf board an nice swim suite   a beach  this is what we are lacking  speak up  lets get  wet in swim wear  not your best full plate  that will rust

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it is possible that anet was afraid that people would dye swimwear with flesh-tones and then people would pretend to be nude.  It seems to me that they solved that problem with the Elegant Canthan Outfit. That particular outfit had leggings that nearly had their own dye channel.  Some of us were dyeing the leggings in flesh-tones, it was fun.  During a recent patch some underwear was painted onto the leggings for the female model of the outfit.  The panty region of the leggings now altered specific dyes that were placed in the legging's dye channel.  If you dyed the leggings a flesh-tone, that region of the leggings would become a pale grey-white rather than display the dye's regular color.  If you dyed the leggings blue or some other color the "panty" region would just become a darker shade of that color, in this case a darker shade of blue.
If Anet was afraid of releasing swimsuits because of faux nudity, they need only make the swimsuits with these odd dye channels.  The risqué dyes will be converted to boring colors while the other dyes will be slightly altered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Follow Your Dreams with the Magical Unicorn Horn Set

I never want to hear or read anything akin to; 'Uh, I'd rather Anet work on other stuff' or 'maybe they don't think swimsuits will sell' again.

Unicorn horn. Anet are kings of the phrase 'taking the kitten'.

(Also; 'actually unicorn horns are bahbahbahbahbah')

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Follow Your Dreams with the Magical Unicorn Horn Set

I never want to hear or read anything akin to; 'Uh, I'd rather Anet work on other stuff' or 'maybe they don't think swimsuits will sell' again.

Unicorn horn. Anet are kings of the phrase 'taking the kitten'.

(Also; 'actually unicorn horns are bahbahbahbahbah')

I'm convinced it's either:

1) something about the difference in their rigs for armor weight is holding them back

2) someone on their team who is in charge has some strange lines they draw about skin exposure (would fit with the invisible feet being such a super rare item and the starborn outfit being a black lion chest/statuette exclusive)

I can't think of any other reason. They are pretty shameless about making money otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1