Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I want to mix it with armour pieces, so obviously I wouldn't buy a swimsuit outfit. If I can't mix it, it's of exactly zero value to me.

Which, I guess, is why Anet won't do this.  They probably don't want characters running around with fully armored torsos and bikini bottoms.  /shrug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Which, I guess, is why Anet won't do this.  They probably don't want characters running around with fully armored torsos and bikini bottoms.  /shrug

We already can do that, so that's no respectable excuse.

The tier 3 Norn Cultural heavy armour bottom looks like a underpants/bikini bottoms with a pareo/towel around it.

The Vigil medium armour bottoms for females is just underwear with detached leg tubes.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I want to mix it with armour pieces, so obviously I wouldn't buy a swimsuit outfit. If I can't mix it, it's of zero value to me. It probably even is of negative value, as swimsuits being an outfit would remove the already far too flimsy chance of it becoming armour.

And that's why it's not happening 😄

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

We already can do that, so that's no respectable excuse.

The tier 3 Norn Cultural heavy armour bottom looks like a underpants/bikini bottoms with a pareo/towel around it.

The Vigil medium armour bottoms for females is just underwear with detached leg tubes.

Good point. Also, I don't get why it's a bad thing if people do. As I think someone emphasized once before in this very thread, they added a friggin unicorn horn lol. Or how about the plushy mount skins with the excuse that they are golems underneath... sounds a lot like the "skimpy armor is fine in fantasy cause they are protected by magic excuse," so if the one can fly as an excuse why not the other. They will add goofy stuff like that, stuff that makes no sense on the surface within the lore of the game and is clearly just there to appeal to some target demographic who likes cute things, but they won't add something that would appeal to a huge target demographic (based on the success other games have with such things) for reasons we can only speculate.

Meanwhile, people who do want to dress their characters in a skimpy way badly enough will do it anyway, using the kind of examples you gave... and it makes for everyone using the exact same few pieces to do it. If there were more options, there could be more creativity with it. It's like the situation with human female light armor, where if someone wants to wear simple pants, they're all wearing elegy/requiem. It makes a game that gets called Fashion Wars feel very limited in what you can do with it.

We need more options that address deficits in style in general, instead of more stuff that follows the exact same style as the last set.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I can't imagine that ANet is concerned about revealing outfits, have they ever responded to why there aren't swimsuits? It certainly can't be to preserve the artistic integrity of the game.

I don't think they have. Or I don't recall anyone mentioning they have and there are plenty of people around here who would probably quote them to death if they had, so... yeah. Seems to be just radio silence for some reason. /shrug

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I can't imagine that ANet is concerned about revealing outfits, have they ever responded to why there aren't swimsuits? It certainly can't be to preserve the artistic integrity of the game.

Arenanet generally refuses to respond to their players' wishes. If Dragonflight is any indication, even Blizzard is doing that better at this point.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Elven Ears. Pointy Elf Ears. Trying to shore up support for the awful Rings of Power Bezos series? You know what, doesn't even matter. If you like the pointed ears, more power to you. Because that's the whole point of this thread, power to those really seeking something.

However. I never ever want to see, or hear; 'Anet should spend their time on something more important than swimsuits'. Or any variation, because clearly, they have plenty of time. The amount of time and energy is not the issue, clearly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

"I want to go into battle in panties!" -addressing deficits in style, lmao, ok 😄

Kasmeer has said in the living story that her armor is illusory.  Many people have taken that to mean that she is running around naked. 
Though it could mean that she is wearing plain functional armor, and that her phoenix armor is just an illusion she made up with her mesmer powers (backless, bare shoulders, bare thighs).
We have infusions and those are basically visual enchantments.
It would explain the entire wardrobe and the transmute system.

So one could go to battle in "panties" and when someone slaps them on the butt, clang!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Decade armor set. Another way way over designed set making it useless for mixing and matching.

Come on anet, get it together here, stop being prudes.

Why not give us an, I dunno, party dress for celebration? Or how about a swim suit to relax on the beaches of Cantha after saving the world?

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Kasmeer has said in the living story that her armor is illusory.  Many people have taken that to mean that she is running around naked. 
Though it could mean that she is wearing plain functional armor, and that her phoenix armor is just an illusion she made up with her mesmer powers (backless, bare shoulders, bare thighs).

Glad you already explained it to yourself for me, thanks -I guess you quoting a month old post in this thread was also effectively just an illusion 😄

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

So one could go to battle in "panties" and when someone slaps them on the butt, clang!

No, because you wear actual items, these have nothing to do with infusions.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

"I want to go into battle in panties!" -addressing deficits in style, lmao, ok 😄

Most fantasy armor in general is impractical to actually wear. It's why cosplayers have to go to great lengths to get it to work at all. See Scary Impractical Armor

Or in general, wearing full plate armor without any accounting for the material context of whether plate is practical against the weapons/enemies they will encounter. It's just DnD-like roleplaying tropes most of the time. Mage wears robes, rogue wears coats, paladin wears plate. It has little to do with what's realistic and mostly to do with familiar stylistic themes.

When someone wants to show skin people suddenly remember what practicality is, even if the showing of skin has nothing to do with being sexy. Some of the norn design is like that, it's in the wheelhouse of some real styles that have existed and don't necessarily have anything to do with sexualizing the character. And that's important to note. Not everybody throughout history has covered every inch of skin in battle. People conflate lingerie with clothing style a lot in these conversations. Just cause this thread is about swimsuits doesn't mean all armor that shows skin has to look like a victoria's secret runway.

But honestly, if someone does want to run into battle looking like that, it isn't messing with realism any more than most MMO armor is. It's just breaking from the familiar RPG fantasy tropes a little bit, that's all. That's what people are really gatekeeping when they talk about realism, not realism itself. If people would admit that, this type of conversation could progress past the pretense of skimpy armor being a problem because it's impractical, when it's about other things.  I have more respect for the position that skimpy armor is not wanted because it's just there to sexualize the characters, than the position that it's breaking realism while a character breathing fire out of their mouth as one of their basic attacks is fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Most fantasy armor in general is impractical to actually wear.

There's a difference between impractical and naked. There's also difference between "more options that address deficits in style in general" and wanting to go into battle in panties, which is what I actually pointed out instead of whatever you've decided to turn it into ("fantasy armor in general is impractical") a month later for some reason.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Most fantasy armor in general is impractical to actually wear. It's why cosplayers have to go to great lengths to get it to work at all. See Scary Impractical Armor

Or in general, wearing full plate armor without any accounting for the material context of whether plate is practical against the weapons/enemies they will encounter. It's just DnD-like roleplaying tropes most of the time. Mage wears robes, rogue wears coats, paladin wears plate. It has little to do with what's realistic and mostly to do with familiar stylistic themes.

When someone wants to show skin people suddenly remember what practicality is, even if the showing of skin has nothing to do with being sexy. Some of the norn design is like that, it's in the wheelhouse of some real styles that have existed and don't necessarily have anything to do with sexualizing the character. And that's important to note. Not everybody throughout history has covered every inch of skin in battle. People conflate lingerie with clothing style a lot in these conversations. Just cause this thread is about swimsuits doesn't mean all armor that shows skin has to look like a victoria's secret runway.

But honestly, if someone does want to run into battle looking like that, it isn't messing with realism any more than most MMO armor is. It's just breaking from the familiar RPG fantasy tropes a little bit, that's all. That's what people are really gatekeeping when they talk about realism, not realism itself. If people would admit that, this type of conversation could progress past the pretense of skimpy armor being a problem because it's impractical, when it's about other things.  I have more respect for the position that skimpy armor is not wanted because it's just there to sexualize the characters, than the position that it's breaking realism while a character breathing fire out of their mouth as one of their basic attacks is fine.

Truly, there isn’t a rational argument against swimsuits given what we already have available in this game. At least, not beyond, “I’d rather they spent development resources elsewhere.”

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Human light cultural T3.  Simply remove the skirt of holes from the leg armor, and the collarbone/shoulder garbage from the coat, and you have a nice bikini. 
Eso is constantly reusing armor pieces in their "new" costumes. 
Anet may be surprised at how popular some armors would become if they would re-release stripped down versions of existing armor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Human light cultural T3.  Simply remove the skirt of holes from the leg armor, and the collarbone/shoulder garbage from the coat, and you have a nice bikini. 
Anet may be surprised at how popular some armors would become if they would re-release stripped down versions of existing armor. 

Yeah but they won't because they seem deathly afraid of anything sexy.

To the point where they edited the dye channels on the cantha outfit to prevent making it look like skin.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Truly, there isn’t a rational argument against swimsuits given what we already have available in this game. At least, not beyond, “I’d rather they spent development resources elsewhere.”

6 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Yeah but they won't because they seem deathly afraid of anything sexy.

To the point where they edited the dye channels on the cantha outfit to prevent making it look like skin.

Yeah, I'm similarly convinced that the current make up of ArenaNet are not only against making any new "sexy" or just mildly salacious armors and outfits but I'd be willing to bet at least a few of them would remove armors like the Human Tier 3 Light set if they thought they could get away with it.

I've probably repeated this a bit too often.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I used to be against this, like for the "artistic integrety" or immersion or whatever other stuff you wanna call it, but after so many wings, bunny ears, lore breaking mounts, etc theres literally no reason to be against this idea, I really dont care anymore lol, I am up for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/30/2022 at 11:27 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Correction: Human "Female" light cultural T3. Anet tries to avoid males at all cost even though we grew up on Pro Wrestling where men just wore spandex trunks and nothing else aside from maybe shoes and knee/elbow pads to make movement and flexibility easier and less things for the enemy to grapple onto or get tangled in. Majority of the male armor I can't imagine a person easily running around and dodge rolling everywhere in the way we do, especially Thieves. And most things would be impossible to swim in.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3