Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

I feel like there was a time where one could make a poignant argument against swimsuits.  Doesn't fit the aesthetic, too ridiuclous, etc.  Outfits, ofc, have gotten sillier over the years and the recent Sailor Moon one seals the deal.  With no real artistic cohesion in the current outfits, I see no reason not to throw swimsuits on the table, and with boats and fishing around the corner I have to assume it's just a matter of time.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, StAllerdyce.3941 said:

I feel like there was a time where one could make a poignant argument against swimsuits.  Doesn't fit the aesthetic, too ridiuclous, etc.  Outfits, ofc, have gotten sillier over the years and the recent Sailor Moon one seals the deal.  With no real artistic cohesion in the current outfits, I see no reason not to throw swimsuits on the table, and with boats and fishing around the corner I have to assume it's just a matter of time.

A swimming party off the back of the skiff is one of the best uses I can think of for our new boats.

Let me put a grill on the back so I can serve brats.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StAllerdyce.3941 said:

Besides swim suits are already in the game, so it wouldn't clash with the aesthetic of the game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The argument, "if it was profitable it'd be in the game," didn't work for mounts either.

You can't know that.  Maybe it wasn't profitable early on, especially in light of how they turned out.  Maybe Anet didn't have enough resources (financial or otherwise) from the start or had much more promising and engaging content that they believed would have a higher RoI for their investors.  Perhaps, over time and with many more players joining and purchasing gems, Anet eventually had the means to begin development on mounts that wasn't available before.

Outfits weren't a thing early on either.  Perhaps, once outfits were introduced it finally made sense to develop mounts so that Anet could sell mount skins.  The ability may not have been there from the start.  Also, consider too how the mount skin pricing was on initial launch of mounts.  Maybe Anet took a financial hit in the short term after MountGate which might have put some development on hold until they were on better financial terms?

I still maintain that only Anet knows their internal numbers and if something is going to bring enough RoI, then they would develop/implement it.  If not, then they would probably spend their resources elsewhere.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

You can't know that.  Maybe it wasn't profitable early on, especially in light of how they turned out.  Maybe Anet didn't have enough resources (financial or otherwise) from the start or had much more promising and engaging content that they believed would have a higher RoI for their investors.  Perhaps, over time and with many more players joining and purchasing gems, Anet eventually had the means to begin development on mounts that wasn't available before.

Outfits weren't a thing early on either.  Perhaps, once outfits were introduced it finally made sense to develop mounts so that Anet could sell mount skins.  The ability may not have been there from the start.  Also, consider too how the mount skin pricing was on initial launch of mounts.  Maybe Anet took a financial hit in the short term after MountGate which might have put some development on hold until they were on better financial terms?

I still maintain that only Anet knows their internal numbers and if something is going to bring enough RoI, then they would develop/implement it.  If not, then they would probably spend their resources elsewhere.

As you say perhaps in the beginning but by all accounts they are still making mounts and bringing out new skins. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't profitable 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

As you say perhaps in the beginning but by all accounts they are still making mounts and bringing out new skins. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't profitable 🤷‍♂️

That's my point.  It's profitable now.  Perhaps swimsuits aren't which is why they've not been developed/released.

50 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You made a thread in a public forum which is designed to harbor discussion and debate.  I am merely engaging in such discourse.  Sounds to me like you want to shut me down from dissenting with your proposal.  That's not how this works.

2 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Did you check the archive for the original GW2 forum?  Cause we certainly were asking for capes much earlier than 2017.

So only people that agree with you should post here?  Dude, no.

I do enjoy quashing dissent. About. Swimsuits. It's August 27th, and people out here trying to fend off the advance of two pieces of fabric. One if you're feeling adventurous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, StAllerdyce.3941 said:

Not to double post, but too ridiculous? You guys, you ever go to a beach? Not giving you heck, cause I agree, it is a matter of time.

5 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

I do enjoy quashing dissent. About. Swimsuits. It's August 27th, and people out here trying to fend off the advance of two pieces of fabric. One if you're feeling adventurous.

Again, that's not how a public forum works, regardless of the topic. 

For me, it's not about the swimsuit specifically; rather, it is more about wanting Anet to deliver something else that would (in my opinion) probably appeal to a larger portion of the player base which would, in turn, generate more revenue so that the company can continue to be profitable.

I don't see swimsuits fitting that agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

Again, that's not how a public forum works, regardless of the topic. 

For me, it's not about the swimsuit specifically; rather, it is more about wanting Anet to deliver something else that would (in my opinion) probably appeal to a larger portion of the player base which would, in turn, generate more revenue so that the company can continue to be profitable.

I don't see swimsuits fitting that agenda. 

Swimsuits are about as profitable as it can get, aside from maybe an expansion. Which is also debatable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Swimsuits are about as profitable as it can get, aside from maybe an expansion. Which is also debatable.

On what do you base that claim?  I know that for me, I would purchase an expansion but not a swimsuit.  I really don't think that I'm the only one who thinks that way.

So, please show how Anet can make a profit on swimsuits instead of an expansion or other content.

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

On what do you base that claim?  I know that for me, I would purchase an expansion but not a swimsuit.  I really don't think that I'm the only one who thinks that way.

So, please show how Anet can make a profit on swimsuits instead of an expansion or other content.

Exhibit A, My Poll. 86 Votes Yay. 0 Nay. (If I've done my math correctly.)

Exhibit B, because I said so.

Exhibit C, it's actually not that deep nor do I think it would make more money than an expansion - It's a small, easy thing to do on -top- of every other thing they do. I promise, Swimsuits won't suddenly delay Alliances, or the expansion, or betas, or more clown outfits, etc.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

A: Forum polls are useless as they do not in any way represent a large enough sample of the player base.  Also, your poll does not support your earlier claim that I quoted that "swimsuits are as profitable as it can get".

B: Haha!!  🙂

C : You may believe it to be a small or easy thing, but Anet knows more than anyone here what is involved.  That it hasn't been done yet, after multiple threads requesting it, tells me that Anet isn't ready to produce them or has other, higher priorities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

A: Forum polls are useless as they do not in any way represent a large enough sample of the player base.  Also, your poll does not support your earlier claim that I quoted that "swimsuits are as profitable as it can get".

B: Haha!!  🙂

C : You may believe it to be a small or easy thing, but Anet knows more than anyone here what is involved.  That it hasn't been done yet, after multiple threads requesting it, tells me that Anet isn't ready to produce them or has other, higher priorities.

Like it's been stated in earlier posts, this is my Shawshank Redemption. (Bikini Redemption?)

Just to keep writing my letter every day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Like it's been stated in earlier posts, this is my Shawshank Redemption. (Bikini Redemption?)

Just to keep writing my letter every day.

Well, I appreciate you keeping our discussion civil.  Oft times, these types of things can devolve.  So, thanks, and good luck with your campaign.

• Like 2

So I found the entrance to the forum archive and braved its terrible depths. (ANet, how about an achievement?)

The first capes request I found was 9/11/2012, first mounts 9/11/2012, and first swimsuits 11/13/2013.

I did run across someone talking about a system from another game. In that game you could go to a beach area and do an event that would drop a temporary swimsuit item at a reasonable drop rate. Then you could toggle on your swimsuit for a while before you'd have to go back to the event and farm it again. Permanent versions were offered in the real money store.

That sounds like a pretty good system. Not everyone is going to care enough to go do the farm, and they'll be selective about using an item that wears out. The developer makes money off of those that want to skip that hassle and have unlimited access.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's my point.  It's profitable now.  Perhaps swimsuits aren't which is why they've not been developed/released.

It may also be a matter of too much choice is bad. What I mean with that is that if people have too many things they would like to spend money on now, they will prioritize and then you don't get the most out of the revenue. So maybe now the mounts are hot and some other things, so it's enough...for now. And once the sales of these "hot" items go down, they'll have to do something new again. So it might just be that it's an item on their list of "to be released". A list which wouldn't have exact dates on it and can change in priority as well. 

So who knows, maybe with the release of skiffs and fishing that would be the moment to add swimwear. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

So I found the entrance to the forum archive and braved it's terrible depths. (ANet, how about an achievement?)

The first capes request I found was 9/11/2012, first mounts 9/11/2012, and first swimsuits 11/13/2013.

I did run across someone talking about a system from another game. In that game you could go to a beach area and do an event that would drop a temporary swimsuit item at a reasonable drop rate. Then you could toggle on your swimsuit for a while before you'd have to go back to the event and farm it again. Permanent versions were offered in the real money store.

That sounds like a pretty good system. Not everyone is going to care enough to go do the farm, and they'll be selective about using an item that wears out. The developer makes money off of those that want to skip that hassle and have unlimited access.

Well, they have something similar in the little huts on the beach in the Four Winds Festival... which just stripped you and put you in your undies, same as the diving goggles.  Which could be why this wasn't prioritized earlier.

BUT, since then, we have skimmer mounts that go underwater, and if I'm remembering right, even in the Four Winds, you end up fighting underwater critters while getting the coins.  So NOW that system doesn't work as well; you kind of need the armor boost and, of course, your weapons in those situations.  Meaning - imho - a swimming outfit makes more sense than what's already in place.  I'm holding out hope that we'll see it come Tuesday...

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Well, that have something similar in the little huts on the beach in the Four Winds Festival... which just stripped you and put you in your undies, same as the diving goggles.  Which could be why this wasn't prioritized earlier.

BUT, since then, we have skimmer mounts that go underwater, and if I'm remembering right, even in the Four Winds, you end up fighting underwater critters while getting the coins.  So NOW that system doesn't work as well; you kind of need the armor boost and, of course, your weapons in those situations.  Meaning - imho - a swimming outfit makes more sense than what's already in place.  I'm holding out hope that we'll see it come Tuesday...

That would be magical if Tuesday suddenly brought this gift of the Lord on High to us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

it is more about wanting Anet to deliver something else that would (in my opinion) probably appeal to a larger portion of the player base

Just something I've noticed in multiple threads: When you like an idea, you imply that it's something a majority of the playerbase wants, when you dislike an idea, you imply that it's something a minority of the playerbase wants and is therefore not worthy of attention or discussion. When pressed on how you know or when asked what those more desirable features are, you say ArenaNet's metrics are mysterious and unknowable and only the Weh no Su are capable of defining these holy numbers.

My suggestion would be to leave those implications aside completely and let your support or dissent of something stand solely on your opinion of the idea rather than a nebulous assumption of an invisible majority/minority. Don't like swimsuits? Don't like fun? Totally fine. 'I don't like it because <reason>' will always be more compelling and honest than 'I'm pretty sure most of us don't like it' with no explanation as to why.

For example: I like the idea of swimsuits personally, but I've also seen countless threads, conversations, art pieces, design mock-ups, half-implemented game assets and abundant beach scenery for which swimsuits would fit perfectly and bring joy. I've also seen ArenaNet put out plenty of outfits no one asked for and think it would be sensible for them to release one that actually has been requested.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Just something I've noticed in multiple threads: When you like an idea, you imply that it's something a majority of the playerbase wants, when you dislike an idea, you imply that it's something a minority of the playerbase wants and is therefore not worthy of attention or discussion. When pressed on how you know or when asked what those more desirable features are, you say ArenaNet's metrics are mysterious and unknowable and only the Weh no Su are capable of defining these holy numbers.

I think that you might have me confused with someone else.  I can't remember any time implying that the majority of the playerbase wants idea "X".  Also, my implications about the minority is usually a response to someone claiming that something should be implemented because "everybody wants it" or due to some forum poll.

I have never advocated for "desirable" features or ever said that I would know what they are.

This  borders on hyperbole and I don't appreciate being made to look like I've said or implied things or have certain knowledge about Anet when I haven't.

If you have specific examples of me doing so, I would be glad to discuss them in a PM so as not to derail this thread.

If only this is added as a new feature in EoD. I would instant pre-ordered it. No hesitation.

I have been asking for swimsuits or the option to dye our undies for years. It feels awkward to wear the same ones for 9 years 🤮 I have a private guild where occasionally i dipped in the water with friends chatting away, but all of us are wearing the same suit every time and i have to mention again, for YEARS. ANet won't let us change to new ones T_T Why??

And once we had this guild photo shoot in Southern Cove and it looks like we are in some kind of uniform, all yellow...

Edited by Mil.3562
typos
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1