Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Ah, but they aren't the only ones, and there's been some actual discussion.

The skins are there for NPCs. Can it be that difficult to make them available for players as outfits?

I don't imagine it could possibly be that hard.  I'm just going off of modding experience with other games, but at least from that, once you've done the work to make an outfit work for a body model, it's not much extra work to make it accessible for player characters.  Biggest thing, I would think, is the entries for the Outfit section of the wardrobe.  Though someone knows more about GW2 skinning specifically is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe they are just having trouble deciding which models to release?  With that many awesome styles of bathing suits in that screenshot above, I cannot imagine why you would put all that work into it an NOT do that little extra to release them for players! When we do get bathing suits, they're going to look really, really good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

I don't imagine it could possibly be that hard.  I'm just going off of modding experience with other games, but at least from that, once you've done the work to make an outfit work for a body model, it's not much extra work to make it accessible for player characters.  Biggest thing, I would think, is the entries for the Outfit section of the wardrobe.  Though someone knows more about GW2 skinning specifically is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe they are just having trouble deciding which models to release?  With that many awesome styles of bathing suits in that screenshot above, I cannot imagine why you would put all that work into it an NOT do that little extra to release them for players! When we do get bathing suits, they're going to look really, really good.

Preach. Absolute -preach-.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was thinking, and the time of year swimsuites could be released doesn't really matter to me. In fact, where I am in the wintery north of the United States, if we got swimsuits day one of EoD it would be like a perfect Summer in February celebration! Round about February is when I get tired of the short days, long nights and grey slush lining the streets.

A virtual swimming party off the back of my shiny new skiff wearing shiny new swimwear would be the perfect virtual escape from winter gloom

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I was thinking, and the time of year swimsuites could be released doesn't really matter to me. In fact, where I am in the wintery north of the United States, if we got swimsuits day one of EoD it would be like a perfect Summer in February celebration! Round about February is when I get tired of the short days, long nights and grey slush lining the streets.

A virtual swimming party off the back of my shiny new skiff wearing shiny new swimwear would be the perfect virtual escape from winter gloom

I'm with you.  There is nothing I'd like better when there's three feet of snow outside than to lie in my stylish bathing suit on my towel chair on the docks of Lion's Arch or (hopefully) somewhere in Cantha in front of a cute guard in uniform.

• Like 4

So, I was thinking. Could we get some fun tubes to wear around our wastes? Maybe a Kralky Floaty?

A quaggan shaped float novelty (like witches broom, etc) that only works over water?

Water wings shoulder pieces?

Also, a snorkel mask head piece.

There are just so many possibilities! C'mon, ArenaNet, this is a gem store bonanza just waiting to be implemented.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

You must really not like other people being happy 😛

Just a select handful, with Altonese currently being on that list.  All joking aside I couldn't care less if Anet put out swimsuit outfits or not.  I just get tired of some of these topics that constantly get repeat threads, not unlike the current Open world Dueling thread.  Altonese gained my ire in this thread specifically when they told "dissenters" to make their own thread instead of posting in this one.  No argument, no disagreement, no discussion.  Its become a joke now, but it wasn't in that initial post.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Just a select handful, with Altonese currently being on that list.  All joking aside I couldn't care less if Anet put out swimsuit outfits or not.  I just get tired of some of these topics that constantly get repeat threads, not unlike the current Open world Dueling thread.  Altonese gained my ire in this thread specifically when they told "dissenters" to make their own thread instead of posting in this one.  No argument, no disagreement, no discussion.  Its become a joke now, but it wasn't in that initial post.

Ah! XD

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Just wanted something nice for people, something easy and something Anet could get revenue off of. It was supposed to be a petition-style letter-a-day. That's all. I had the stupid idea that maybe it'd work.

If a mod could lock this thread, or not, whatever works, I don't care anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Just wanted something nice for people, something easy and something Anet could get revenue off of. It was supposed to be a petition-style letter-a-day. That's all. I had the stupid idea that maybe it'd work.

If a mod could lock this thread, or not, whatever works, I don't care anymore.

Aw, man. We don't need a lock. There's plenty of discussion to be had.

Just realize, this is a forum, where there's back and forth. You could do a letter writing campaign by email or snail mail, and we could keep on talking about swimsuit possibilities here.

You never needed to make this a one person show. You have allies in this quest for outfits aquatical, and they will help keep this thread alive with thoughts and desires and conversation. You could even be strategic about your posts, contributing when the thread is in danger of dropping onto page two, rather than just dropping a "it's this day" once a day.

Maybe a peace offering to Greyhawk will soothe their need for vengeance, and we can all go back to dreaming about swim parties in the sun throughout Cantha and beyond.

Edited by Gibson.4036
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Aw, man. We don't need a lock. There's plenty of discussion to be had.

Just realize, this is a forum, where there's back and forth. You could do a letter writing campaign by email or snail mail, and we could keep on talking about swimsuit possibilities here.

You never needed to make this a one person show. You have allies in this quest for outfits aquatical, and they will help keep this thread alive with thoughts and desires and conversation. You could even be strategic about your posts, contributing when the thread is in danger of dropping onto page two, rather than just dropping a "it's this day" once a day.

Maybe a peace offering to Greyhawk will soothe their need for vengeance, and we can all go back to dreaming about swim parties in the sun throughout Cantha and beyond.

12 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Well said, Gibson.

Indeed you do have allies in your support for swimwear.  And with that in mind, here's my letter to Anet.

Dear Anet,

I appreciate you are very busy with everything else, but...  This is what I'm reduced to. 

We really need swimwear.

Thank you!

I appreciate you guys. It's a bit f hope in a dreary day, and it makes me wonder why things just 'are the way they are'. This is a good thing to have. Is it life making? No, it's a nice quality of life feature in a game that we love, and it's worth trying to bring to Anet's attention, and if people disagree, thats fine. You do you.

We want swimsuits, a none ridiculous outfit choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

We don't need swimwear.

... And the disclaimer: it was a light-hearted comment in a light-hearted post meant only for humorous effect.  In no way did I intend to imply any universality in my "we", nor that it was a "need" in the category of food, shelter, and water.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

We don't need swimwear.

It's very bold that you'd request an invisible outfit, but I can get on board since we have something very close already in the game. Great to see such enthusiastic support for this long-requested addition to Tyria.

Given the fact that the End of Dragons logo is a giant roaring wave, I think that'd be the perfect time to introduce swimwear right alongside the skiffs, fishing poles, and a brand new never-before-seen Beach Towel chair novelty. So what if ArenaNet missed the mark this summer? They've got until next year, at least, to put the finishing touches on their 2022 lakeside release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Your beach towel novelty makes me think beach lounge chair, too. And before anyone cries foul over anachronisms (in spite of a bunch of them being in the game already) beach lounges have been around for a long time, and a wooden framed one with canvas back and seat could look plenty appropriate in Southsun or Cantha.

Follow it up with an endless beach lounge tonic, and if anyone tries to /sit on me, I can trigger the 1 skill to briefly tangle them up in slats and fabric.

In addition to the previously mentioned sunscreen enhancement, can we have beach cocktails with little paper umbrellas as a food item?

And mobile cooking stations in the form of a thematically appropriate barbecue grill.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'm fine with this as long as you get a 5-minute swim speed debuff if you eat BBQ right before jumping into the water for a swim. Fair's fair.

Definitely.

BBQ

Nourishment (30m):  +100 Power, +70 Ferocity, +1% All Experience Gained

Continually applies Crippled status while in water during first 5m

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'm fine with this as long as you get a 5-minute swim speed debuff if you eat BBQ right before jumping into the water for a swim. Fair's fair.

I believe there's vomiting effects already in game that can help teach people to wait 30 minutes after eating before getting in the water.

Btw, whatever happened to the consortium?  Where's our massive beach resort hotel?  Don't give me some nonsense about super giant crabby things roaming the beaches.  That's just a walking buffet waiting to happen!

Somebody pay that splish-splash Norn to go make a resort!

Where's my jet-ski mount?!  Charr have cars, have them put that engineering prowess to better vehicular entertainment!  Wait wait wait.... definitely have Charr make jet-skis!  With guns!  All the guns! More guns bigger guns!  Where's my shooty pew-pew jet-ski!!!???

I want to be a swimsuit wearing, jet-ski driving, cocktail drinking force of mayhem!!!!!

That should cover it for now.  Please continue this civil and enlightening discussion on the infallible merits of swimsuit implementation.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I believe there's vomiting effects already in game that can help teach people to wait 30 minutes after eating before getting in the water.

That's what my mother always told me would happen, if I went swimming too soon.

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I want to be a swimsuit wearing, jet-ski driving, cocktail drinking force of mayhem!!!!!

Heck, yeah!  If I can be a magical girl on my magical pink flying unicorn-griffin, shooting people with my magical Rainbow Brite shortbow, I see no reason I couldn't be a Charr James Bond, surrounded by swimsuit-clad beauties of every other race.  😎

Hey, come to think of it, why don't we already have cocktails in this game?  We have beer, ale, wine, and hard eggnog, at the very least.  I think Anet has something against summer.  I mean, we even have a spring outfit, and lots for winter and autumn... but all we have for hot weather is really aimed at life in the desert.  🤔

Edited by Lyssia.4637
Figuring out multiquote
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

That's what my mother always told me would happen, if I went swimming too soon.

Heck, yeah!  If I can be a magical girl on my magical pink flying unicorn-griffin, shooting people with my magical Rainbow Brite shortbow, I see no reason I couldn't be a Charr James Bond, surrounded by swimsuit-clad beauties of every other race.  😎

Hey, come to think of it, why don't we already have cocktails in this game?  We have beer, ale, wine, and hard eggnog, at the very least.  I think Anet has something against summer.  I mean, we even have a spring outfit, and lots for winter and autumn... but all we have for hot weather is really aimed at life in the desert.  🤔

This is the thing that gets me. 'I want them to focus on something else'. The fact is, they have people making outfits/weapon sets. They had someone put in the work for their magical school girl stuff. So clearly it's someone's job to work on that stuff. So. Swimwear.

Mind you, stuff like beach chairs and fire-pits and beach-themed weapon sets are all just icing on the cake. They may take more work. What won't is just the simple premise, Faren and Kasmeer swimwear for all races, genders, etc. Everything else? Beachc chair? Icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong, it'd be -great- icing.

• Like 6