Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

30 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

This is the thing that gets me. 'I want them to focus on something else'. The fact is, they have people making outfits/weapon sets. They had someone put in the work for their magical school girl stuff. So clearly it's someone's job to work on that stuff. So. Swimwear.

It may be that the outfits being designed/deployed are part of some overall vision of how Anet wants the game to look or to be.  It may be that swimsuits for heroes do not fit that vision.  Maybe Anet doesn't want a lot of players running around maps in swimsuits.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It may be that the outfits being designed/deployed are part of some overall vision of how Anet wants the game to look or to be.  It may be that swimsuits for heroes do not fit that vision.  Maybe Anet doesn't want a lot of players running around maps in swimsuits.

You know, that is entirely possible.

Looking at the vast variety of things they've given us between armor skins and outfits, it seems highly improbable. I can go fight Kralky in cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

Wearing a pink quaggan backpack.

Seems very unlikely that swimsuit would break an aesthetic goal they are trying to maintain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You know, that is entirely possible.

Looking at the vast variety of things they've given us between armor skins and outfits, it seems highly improbable. I can go fight Kralky in cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

Wearing a pink quaggan backpack.

Seems very unlikely that swimsuit would break an aesthetic goal they are trying to maintain.

I agree.  Some, though, might find shorts/tshirts to be significantly different than swimsuits with regards to their vision.  /shrug

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I agree.  Some, though, might find shorts/tshirts to be significantly different than swimsuits with regards to their vision.  /shrug

I will admit, I've always thought the male human models were weirdly designed. Last night I stripped down a character for deletion so I could free up a slot (ArenaNet, why no character slot sale this year?!?) and I was reminded how they look kind of off. There's something more anatomically human about Sylvari males, which is really strange.

But, I think swimsuits are such a good idea I'm willing to cringe at the strange human male models.

[I actually sat there and watched him turn his torso for a few minutes, releasing my mouse look button so he'd stand straight, then go back to looking to the side. It looks like his ribcage turns with his head, but the abdominal muscles stay forward. I couldn't look a way for a bit, just kept marveling at the weirdness of it.] 

58 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's someone's right to think that way. Just like it's mine to say thats entirely weird/untenable in my mind. Like no, I cannot fathom how a swimsuit will 'take someone out of the immersion' compared to - Nevermind outfits, people's normal armor skins and the glowing particle atrocities and the cosplays and the already skimpy armors available. Like to me, it seems contrarian at best to not want swimsuits for aesthetic reasons. Like 'I'd rather people be unhappy then something they like comes in to play that has no effect on me'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Altonese.6542 said:

That's someone's right to think that way. Just like it's mine to say thats entirely weird/untenable in my mind. Like no, I cannot fathom how a swimsuit will 'take someone out of the immersion' compared to - Nevermind outfits, people's normal armor skins and the glowing particle atrocities and the cosplays and the already skimpy armors available. Like to me, it seems contrarian at best to not want swimsuits for aesthetic reasons. Like 'I'd rather people be unhappy then something they like comes in to play that has no effect on me'.

I was referring to my previous post.  I didn't mean any players' perspective.  I meant that Anet might not want such things in their game which is why they may not have released any to date.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

stuff like beach chairs and fire-pits and beach-themed weapon sets are all just icing on the cake

This is true, but after expending the effort to sculpt a pile of gold coins for a small fraction of the playerbase to lay on, I think a beach rectangle would be pretty easy by comparison for something a large portion of the playerbase could purchase in the shop. I can also think of several pre-existing props for beach-related weapons (coconut bevvies in the LA cave bar, for example - instant focus or warhorn).

Tasty icing, good icing, sure. But easy just-add-water icing too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, Altonese.6542 said:

The date is uh, August 19th, and it's lookin' a little cloudy outside. Oh wait no that's -smoke- because the entire world is on fire. Anyway.

@Fire Attunement.9835 Fire, how are ya, how's the family? Hear me out, had an idea for the swimsuit gemstore release, tell the squad.

So the Swimsuit itself, I'm thinking between 700-800 gems, you know. Pretty standard, drop a ten spot on it, that's fair, and ten dollars builds up. Oh, name wise, 'Southsun Attire'? Something simple, don't have to go all out on that. Bundle idea for you, put the swimsuit itself, Southsun Kasmeer & Faren Mini's, a kite perhaps, and, maybe a chair or something that fits the theme, or heck, just like a a bunch of keys or something. Something simple, but you can justify then like a 1900-2000 gem price, hit you 20-35 dollars a pop, that's some solid cash right there. Don't do a bandit sniper thing though, make sure the outfit is available separately. Ten dollars is more than zero dollars, you know?

Hmu.

I think a fantastic bundle would be the swimsuit outfit/armor skins, a lawn chair/beach chair, and maybe something like a kite, yeah, or potentially an umbrella? But I think things line umbrella or beach towels could be added to the chair, so you could have a few variants of the chair maybe.  Could also add a waist floatie donut thing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I think a fantastic bundle would be the swimsuit outfit/armor skins, a lawn chair/beach chair, and maybe something like a kite, yeah, or potentially an umbrella? But I think things line umbrella or beach towels could be added to the chair, so you could have a few variants of the chair maybe.  Could also add a waist floatie donut thing

You forgot sun tan lotions.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

This is true, but after expending the effort to sculpt a pile of gold coins for a small fraction of the playerbase to lay on, I think a beach rectangle would be pretty easy by comparison for something a large portion of the playerbase could purchase in the shop. I can also think of several pre-existing props for beach-related weapons (coconut bevvies in the LA cave bar, for example - instant focus or warhorn).

Tasty icing, good icing, sure. But easy just-add-water icing too.

No you're absolutely right. The fact is, again, aside from flimsy claims about 'vision' which don't add up, and people having a weird thing about seeing swimsuits in the open world (despite the already present myriad of ridiculous 'combat' outfits, which implies it's more just a contrarian thing) Swimsuits and items alongside it, like everything you just suggested.

Anet is basically missing out on revenue to help EoD development for work that's arguably not as much effort as a full magical girl outfit and weapon set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Whats prolly several years ago now there was a similar thread where the op had a really well done collage of multiple swimsuits. It was really well done, looked like an actual gemstore thing. Also not just pure *beep* off material (nothing wrong with that but hey) but some pretty good designs and both genders. One of em was like a competition swimsuit with a fur stola thing, totally impractical but cool, woulda bought that instantly. Cant find that thread anymore, too bad 😞

EDIT: well dang look at these norns

Edited by GRRRR.3521
oh my
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, GRRRR.3521 said:

Whats prolly several years ago now there was a similar thread where the op had a really well done collage of multiple swimsuits. It was really well done, looked like an actual gemstore thing. Also not just pure *beep* off material (nothing wrong with that but hey) but some pretty good designs and both genders. One of em was like a competition swimsuit with a fur stola thing, totally impractical but cool, woulda bought that instantly. Cant find that thread anymore, too bad 😞

Those are really well done!

13 hours ago, GRRRR.3521 said:

IO just wish I could know Anet's thinking. Imagine yourself as an individual, at your job, and someone told you 'hey, we need you to do something that you often do at your job, and that's already half done for you' and you say 'oh i can do that' and they say 'and we'll pay you 10x as much as you normally get.' Who in their right mind says no?

A bit of a ramble. Basically, swimsuits are the equivalent of Anet finding a thousand dollars just sitting there with a note that says 'you may have me' and Anet is, what, having trouble deciding whether to take it?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Anet is basically missing out on revenue to help EoD development for work that's arguably not as much effort as a full magical girl outfit and weapon set.

I would rather trust Anet to decide what effort is required to implement various things as well as what will generate sufficient revenue than a bunch of players on the forum.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Oh if you are asking for a beach chair skin for our personal chair, that will be very viable. The Dwayna's throne has a very relaxing posture, like half leaning back. ANet just need to change the skin and maybe add a eyes closed face 😄

Add that to a swimsuit outfit and I am ready to go for that beach picnic. Invites anyone?

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I would rather trust Anet to decide what effort is required to implement various things as well as what will generate sufficient revenue than a bunch of players on the forum.

Exactly. This is why there is never a nerf in every patch just because a bunch of forum residents cried for nerfs on every thing.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Sure. But since they haven’t said one way or the other, the forums are here for us to speculate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

You're glowing in the dark here, kharmin.  The skins are already designed, in the game, and it is pretty clear that demand is high for those skins.  With how much work is already done, as well as how little work it would take for minimalist outfits to be made player ready, the reasons why they aren't in the game is clearly either legal or aesthetic philosophy.  This so many words to say to never trust anyone who tells you not to think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

You're glowing in the dark here, kharmin.  The skins are already designed, in the game, and it is pretty clear that demand is high for those skins.  With how much work is already done, as well as how little work it would take for minimalist outfits to be made player ready, the reasons why they aren't in the game is clearly either legal or aesthetic philosophy.  This so many words to say to never trust anyone who tells you not to think.  

If it was legal, my mind would be boggled. If it was Aesthetic philosophy, I'd be even -more- boggled. There's absolutely no good reason. No one has yet to give me a good reason that isn't A) Personal preference B) Vague shots in the dark C) Some weird inclination for people to not get something they would like - In which case, seek help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

If it was legal, my mind would be boggled. If it was Aesthetic philosophy, I'd be even -more- boggled. There's absolutely no good reason. No one has yet to give me a good reason that isn't A) Personal preference B) Vague shots in the dark C) Some weird inclination for people to not get something they would like - In which case, seek help.

It's not always a good reason.  This game is international, and you have to appeal to the age-ratings standards of multiple nations.  I.E. Tiami isn't allowed to be shown in danger by U.S. standards, but that is something France wouldn't have a problem with.  Once the rules and ratings are in place, doing something like introducing bikinis into the game could change that, and could require legal action even if the game remains T rated.  I.E. "This game was advertised to not have sexual content, but now it does" kind of issues.  

Aesthetic philosophy is simple.  There's been threads of people complaining about unrealistic armor for fighting.  I also have vague memories of a dev saying they didn't like how it would look to have beach warriors fighting in a medieval fantasy game.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

It's not always a good reason.  This game is international, and you have to appeal to the age-ratings standards of multiple nations.  I.E. Tiami isn't allowed to be shown in danger by U.S. standards, but that is something France wouldn't have a problem with.  Once the rules and ratings are in place, doing something like introducing bikinis into the game could change that, and could require legal action even if the game remains T rated.  I.E. "This game was advertised to not have sexual content, but now it does" kind of issues.  

Aesthetic philosophy is simple.  There's been threads of people complaining about unrealistic armor for fighting.  I also have vague memories of a dev saying they didn't like how it would look to have beach warriors fighting in a medieval fantasy game.  

I totally get what you're saying, so what I'm about to say isn't at you but at the devs, in terms of Aesthetic Philosophy - Anet has no leg to friggin stand on. Not a one. 'Beach Warriors' oh right cuz Magical Girl Dresses, Deep Cleavage Winter Dresses, Halloween Costumes, and ridiculously over-bright, glowy, or jangly bit outfits are fine in their 'medieval fantasy game'? That's taking the kitten.

As for the age-ratings of countries, I've never seen swimsuits cause issue in FF14 for example, which is Asia, NA, and EU. The fact is, it isn't sexual content. It just isn't. Not even asking for that, just bathing suits. Also on the age-factor, they are -in- the game. So obviously it can't be that. They're already swimsuits, on npc models. Putting them on characters makes no difference except making people happy and getting gemstore revenue.

(Again, none of this rant is at you Arachnid, it's at Anet. I appreciate the feedback.)

• Like 4

On 9/3/2021 at 5:46 PM, Altonese.6542 said:

Are we missing the big elephants in the room that destroyed all sense of immersion in the game?
SAB Raptor skin, SAB chair, Uni-Griffon, starborn outfit, Princess weapons and the newly released Princess outfit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Id personally love to see stuff like swimsuits added as armour skins (not outfits). This would allow players to create more unique looks, ever wanted to be that Norn berserker who runs into combat without armour on their chest, wham! swim suit top! this would open the doors to more looks to pull off, more creative ways to have your character. And have them the way you want to have them look.

If swim costumes are seen as 'sexual' then surely taking off your armour into the undergarments is just that. Do not forget we already have the Starborn outfit in the game which pretty much covers as much as a picnic blanket on a 10 mile field. I honestly do not see any reason to not impliment them into the game with what is currently already in the game. This would be a quick buy to many players and a quick buck made by Anet making NCsoft, NChard.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1