Harbinger with minions

Dallan.6247

Hi all,

I've been playing around with harbinger this afternoon and am having fun with the pistol and shroud. However, I'm not a big fan of the elixirs and am missing my minions. I there a way to at least add a couple into the spec and still be competitive in PVE content? (Not so worried about PVP/WVW as I'll probably stick to other specs for that). 

At the very least, I want to be able to keep my bone golem.

• Confused 2

Respectfully I'm asking for tips on playing minions and being COMPETITIVE, or at least tips on what death magic/harbinger synergies people have found. I know I can play anything in regular open world, but I'd like to not get auto-kicked from a fractal the minute I pull out a minion.

• Confused 1

Well, those two ideas don't really mix ... if you want to play with people that care about competitive PVE results, you play meta. If you pull out minions, either your team is going to auto kick you or or they don't care about competitive builds in the first place.

To be fair, I don't think anyone has quantified minion builds on the .. so maybe it can be ... but that's not really going to matter for the crowd that's going to auto kick you if you use minions. 

• Like 2

Read your traits, Death is a damage reduction line. You will constantly get kicked from your group running damage reduction traits when your role is to dps.

Also death has poor synergy with harbringer, poop shield increases poison damage, but harbinger has little access to poison. shroud 2, pistol 3, third chain scepter autoattack. So very little buff for condi harbinger, power harbinger is worse than power reaper, reaper should always have 25% multiplier from soul eater and cold shoulder and have 300 ferocity, harbinger will have 25% only at full blight.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, Dallan.6247 said:

Respectfully I'm asking for tips on playing minions and being COMPETITIVE, or at least tips on what death magic/harbinger synergies people have found. I know I can play anything in regular open world, but I'd like to not get auto-kicked from a fractal the minute I pull out a minion.

No. minions are not good and never will be. their only benefit is lf gen. they have no place in fractals or raids outside of that.

You can take shadow fiend for lf and golem as elite. thats it, maybe bone rats instead of shadow fiend but you need 2 elixirs to cap blight. I would kick any necro using death magic in fractals.

Edited by Nephalem.8921
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't play a minion centric build and be competitive in PvE content, minions just aren't meant for that (their hit rate, crit rate and damage just aren't up to the task. And if they had all that it would simply spell disaster for the necromancer's build diversity.). You can play a minion centric build in sPvP and be very annoying thought.

That said, a few minions manage to be competitive in PvE if they are used in non minion centric builds and from what I've seen they work just as well for harbinger than for any other necromancer's specs (Blood Fiend, Shadow Fiend and Flesh Golem).

• Thanks 2

Blood Fiend, Shadow Fiend, and Flesh Golem, as others have said, are the only ones people usually run in high-end content.  Blood Fiend, because it's passive damage from a skill slot that otherwise lacks it (not every encounter lets you hug the boss like Signet of Vampirism wants), Shadow Fiend because it's 0-cast time (for you) life force regain, and Flesh Golem because it's great against break bars and deals okay passive damage when that's not needed.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks all. I wasn't looking for a full minion build like I used to run in GW 1, but it's good to know that I can still mix in the golem and maybe another depending on the circumstance. The previews I had been reading made it sound like you needed to go all elixir to make the build work.

I think it is fairly clear that anet has no more ability to create unique and interesting pet classes. Neceo should have so many pet options at this point, such as skeletons, zombies, real golems, etc. But once again we get the exact opposite of a necro. Don't waste your time with this question. The future is set.