Viable Spvp ranger build for ranked?

Aylpse.6280

On 9/24/2021 at 10:14 AM, Kovu.7560 said:

Prelude Lash -> Whirling Defense

I am not by any means an elite guild wars 2 player. I would consider myself high-intermediate on mechanics and build knowledge and somewhere in the middle of the pack for excecution (probably gold 2 as I tend to land there on condi ranger and necro), however the above build can carry to an extent. I can usually climb to plat 1 with this as it has the capability of ending entire teams lacking stab fighting over a point. In the right hands I'm sure it could perform even better. It can't survive forever (hence why I prefer defensive utilities and a longbow) compared to other builds but it usually gets the job done. Its actually weaker in 1v1s than many condi ranger variants but unlike many ranger builds that are geared for side noding, this build can also contribute heavily to a team fight. It can also end fights quickly and often forces decaps if not outright kills if you get the burst to land. Last week or so of my matches.

You can run greatsword if you want, and the damage trait over the stance sharing trait should you prefer. Utilities are yours to decide. Slot another rooting skill if you want. Zephyr for trait synergy and superspeed is always nice, too. Just make sure you keep your power damage relevant and use OWP with whirling defense for the highest AoE burst potential. That's really what this build is for. That said, once you get into plat 1 the players get both better and cheesier, so I tend to hover around there. Perhaps you can do even better. Best of luck!

~ Kovu

Why trappers defense Kovu?

I run a stun condi trapper build. I run every stun I can get and my rotation can leave people without being able to move for about 6 seconds. It's amazing in small team fight and trapping theifs.

Side noding can be a hit or miss depending on my match up. 

I have hit plat with it but honestly it hard to pull off some seasons. I cant 1v1 well vs power dps classes like warrior. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, captrowdy.9561 said:

Ranger is a pretty selfish class. Your not really going to help your team much. I love ranger but I made a renegade for spvp and have been climbing tank quick. 

I disagree, you can be a good source of regen for your team depending if you run the heal trap or Jiricanda pet. Frequently have top healing for my team as soulbeast trapper, even without the Jiricanda. Also stomp denial with shortbow 5 and needle trap. 

Depending how you play and build you can be very supportive while still dishing out damage.

To the people that said ranger can't carry solo q I highly disagree and got experience playing differents build in plat 2 solo q with ranger, which isnt my main class but carried me hard. Azzar also uses one shot sic en in plat 3 solo q often on Twitch. 

Here is a list in order of how much carry you can do with ranger builds 'imo'.

1. Sic en axe w/h Lb one shot. Top carry cause you can literally farm all the other team by yourself even if you have 4 silvers with you and you play vs 5 plats. But takes way more skill and map knowledge. No stunbreak and defense at all. It's all about positioning , respawn awareness etc..

2. Core ranger , either lb gs zerk or the Valkyrie axe dagger Gs meta , both are amazing side noder and if played well the only counter is ele with shield skilll. But you can still win if you outskill him  .

3. Condi soupbeast. Viable but has counters so not in all games. Eurantien using it sometimes in high plat to counter holos I think. Don't use it personally so can't say much about it.

4. Zerk druid staff gs with BM and MM , build used by Boyce that I had fun in plat 1 plat2 . Not crazy carry but definitely viable. Until people learn to avoid your burst, which if you spam q all day they will eventually.

And a few others not as good but still smh viable in plat 1 and lower like condi trap druid or core and the like...

Edited by youle.5824

15 hours ago, youle.5824 said:

To the people that said ranger can't carry solo q I highly disagree and got experience playing differents build in plat 2 solo q with ranger, which isnt my main class but carried me hard. Azzar also uses one shot sic en in plat 3 solo q often on Twitch. 

Here is a list in order of how much carry you can do with ranger builds 'imo'.

1. Sic en axe w/h Lb one shot. Top carry cause you can literally farm all the other team by yourself even if you have 4 silvers with you and you play vs 5 plats. But takes way more skill and map knowledge. No stunbreak and defense at all. It's all about positioning , respawn awareness etc..

2. Core ranger , either lb gs zerk or the Valkyrie axe dagger Gs meta , both are amazing side noder and if played well the only counter is ele with shield skilll. But you can still win if you outskill him  .

3. Condi soupbeast. Viable but has counters so not in all games. Eurantien using it sometimes in high plat to counter holos I think. Don't use it personally so can't say much about it.

4. Zerk druid staff gs with BM and MM , build used by Boyce that I had fun in plat 1 plat2 . Not crazy carry but definitely viable. Until people learn to avoid your burst, which if you spam q all day they will eventually.

And a few others not as good but still smh viable in plat 1 and lower like condi trap druid or core and the like...

Out of curiosity, Are you playing in NA for a chance?  I mean NA players have a funny concept for "one-shot".

I've seen that azzar dude once, main thief if I'm not mistaken and  lately having a  bad time trying in PvP with the ranger. To be expected with that weird build with trapper runes and power setup. And no "one-shot" to be seen anywhere. 

Nothing you said makes any sense. Ranger got the side node build with Axe and the pewpew sicem for noobstomping. That's all, Anet quickly nerfed the decap druid as soon as it showed any potential. Funny balance team doing funny stuff. 

18 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Out of curiosity, Are you playing in NA for a chance?  I mean NA players have a funny concept for "one-shot".

I've seen that azzar dude once, main thief if I'm not mistaken and  lately having a  bad time trying in PvP with the ranger. To be expected with that weird build with trapper runes and power setup. And no "one-shot" to be seen anywhere. 

Nothing you said makes any sense. Ranger got the side node build with Axe and the pewpew sicem for noobstomping. That's all, Anet quickly nerfed the decap druid as soon as it showed any potential. Funny balance team doing funny stuff. 

I played few years on EU then few years on NA, and one shot was refered as well since early in game for the like of mes core burst that 'one shotted' people , term was used on both NA and EU and still is. So refering to one shot for <1 sec burst from slb that downs even 30k HP NEC's is valid fyi. And the druid build I was talking about isn't the decap build but the one boyce used often on stream, tried it too and it's 'okay' not op but more then enough for plat 1 . 

On 8/30/2021 at 9:11 PM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I don't think that any of the builds is S tier levels but having 3-4 very different B-A tier builds is nice.

I think this best describes ranger at the moment. I spammed out 400 ranked matches last season to farm ascended shards, and I ended up in plat1. There's enough workable build variety available to ranger to be able to adjust, but as others have said, better classes just carry harder. I had the most consistent success with core valk, but I can't see myself taking it higher than 1550 mmr or so - at that point I feel like map knowledge and point-kiting skill matter more than what the build can offer, and I'm not there yet.

Aside from core valk, I found trapper soulbeast the next most useful build - but only because it easily kills the FT scrappers you see running around all over gold. A lot of other classes don't end up eating enough ticks of the traps, and warrior in particular can pretty much ignore my immobs.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012