How to make AT brackets look 20x better by tomorrow (no GUI update)

Darek.1836

Just give us some freaking lines between bracket fractions. For those of you who don't know, the brackets are already there as the list of teams. There just isn't sort of GUI to make it seem obvious. How it works right now is that if everyone is the same round, let's say 8 teams in quarters, then the top 2 teams will play each other on the list, 3rd+4th play, etc. Following that the winner of the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th game, and then that winner play the winner of the 2 games from the bottom 4 teams in the finals.

What this means is that all we need in order to clearly view the brackets are some markers between the teams in order to show different brackets.So here is an example of a current bracket, where teams are labeled BY SEED and all teams are in the same round.

Team 1 (Quarters)Team 8 (Quarters)Team 5 (Quarters)Team 4 (Quarters)Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)Team 7 (Quarters)Team 2 (Quarters)

This is pretty easy to read even without markers, but when teams are in different round it could look unreadable:Team 1 (Semis)Team 5 (Semis)Team 2 (Semis)Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)

If you weren't paying attention earlier in the tournament, you would have no idea who's playing who in this situation. All you know is team 1 isn't playing team 2.So my first suggestion is to just remove the stupid separation based on the round you're in, so that the above would look like:Team 1 (Semis)Team 5 (Semis)Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)Team 2 (Semis)

Jesus that's already 10x easier to tell what the bracket is. But it'll be less so when there's like 30 teams in a monthly. So my next suggestion is to just put some TEXT SEPERATIONS. For example, you could first put an empty line between teams who are not currently playing each other or about to play each other:Team 1 (Semis)Team 5 (Semis)

Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)

Team 2 (Semis)

Then you could put a couple different dividers to represent halves and quadrants as well, going back to the original example:Team 1 (Quarters)Team 8 (Quarters)–––––––––––––––––Team 5 (Quarters)Team 4 (Quarters)+++++++++++++++++Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)–––––––––––––––––Team 7 (Quarters)Team 2 (Quarters)

It's probably unnecessary to add any more dividers than this, but you could still add another one if you wanted to separate 1/8ths. The tourney would already look much better with just those 2 though, and only monthlies usually get more than 10 teams or so right now. Any other matchups could just have the empty line separation.

So my 2nd example would look like this:Team 1 (Semis)Team 5 (Semis)+++++++++++++Team 3 (Quarters)Team 6 (Quarters)––––––––––––––Team 2 (Semis)

Even if it looks a little weird with only 1 quadrant separator, it still is about 20x better than the clown fiesta of a team list you guys have now. I know you guys can update this code and have it working within a couple hours, and I know you don't need to push a patch because all this text is handled server side and sent to the client as raw text. So please just do it until you can get a proper bracket. It's NOT a waste of time unless you have an actual bracket GUI ready within 2 weeks.

Archived