Original Guild Wars Skill Balance Potential Update Followup @Isaiah Cartwright.8569

First of all, not sure what category to put this in, so please feel free to move it to whatever appropriate category. Thanks. =)

Hi Izzy, ArenaNet, and the GW1 community,

This is a followup to our brief discussion during the recent Q&A event about the Original Guild Wars regarding the state of the meta and possible solution(s).

In an ideal world, I think a solution would be in 3 parts. (1) A update to the skills, to open up the meta. (2) a ban wave on the botters, maybe do a bit of monitoring, even it's just for a short period of time, and just do a ban wave. And (3), lower the price of the game. This is listed in order of priority.

I have discussed the subject with many members of the PvP community, and while the statements I make are my opinion, I try to represent fairly the interests of the PvP community in general.

Regarding the state of the meta, I think that almost everyone dislikes the current 3 monk backline with a damage runner meta. This developed after the last update ArenaNet made to the game, where they did a rework to Dervishes, and Elementalists. It developed because the sustained damage resulting from the buffs to these two damage classes outweighs the amount of healing and protection two monks and a healer flag runner are able to compensate for. This is the first, and of course only, time the meta has ever shifted to this kind of setup, and I don't think it was the intention of the update, and I don't think it's faithful to the original design for GvG. It's also very awkward and clunky because these 3 monks only use skills from just 2 attribute trees.

In my opinion (and of course in hindsight things could always have been better), I think the meta was kept a little narrow throughout the game by nerfing skills a little too much, or in come cases a lot too much.

I can't really guess as to the intentions of the updaters and their vision. I know that there were both reason, and value to these updates. For example, I know that some new players felt like going in to PvP was too much of a "roll of the dice" because of the huge amount of skills, and of course all the counters as well. I am curious about the vision of the designers and updaters, and would love if you could speak to that.

However, I think at this point in time, the meta deserves to be opened up a bit.

There are so many options here, and everyone has a different vision for what would be best. However, I think that almost everyone agrees on a lot, or at least each strong vision doesn't conflict with anyone else's, for the most part. For example, I know someone who spent a lot of time writing a document on how Dervish and Elementalist skills could be slightly nerfed and actually balanced to get their damage balanced in a such a way to improve the meta and play of GvG. Personally, I think that bringing back Heal Party, Light of Deliverence, and Smiter's Boon, could really open up the possibility of a 2 monk backline with a more active and fun flag runner and improve the state of the 3 monk at stand awkwardness.

I know that a lot of people have ideas.

I think that a skill update could really improve the state of the game. I also know that the world in fact is not ideal, and that ArenaNet might not want to do a banwave, or lower the price of the game, or maybe even a skill update.

I felt like the Q&A event was too brief. And I'd love to get more feedback from ArenaNet about what is on table.

Thanks so much,

Cheers.

Also, I'm not sure if the GW2 forums are the best format for this, but whatever works. =) I tried sending you a PM but wasn't able to here in the forums. Feel free to suggest another format.

There's so much to potentially discuss about this, and I have so many questions. Re-reading the previous post on the Q&A event, you discussed a "chaos" that occurs in the meta when there is a skill update. You also mentioned a "20%" rule. In Guild Wars, I think there was a lot of chaos, because of the huge number of skills. However, a lot of skills were outside of the "20%" meta which sounded like you wanted to be the most viable skills. The damage over 120 (per second?) being logged. Potential solutions to the "defense wins games" theory. Etc.

@Isaiah Cartwright.8569

Cheers.

Also, I'm not sure if the GW2 forums are the best format for this, but whatever works. =) I tried sending you a PM but wasn't able to here in the forums. Feel free to suggest another format.

There's so much to potentially discuss about this, and I have so many questions. Re-reading the previous post on the Q&A event, you discussed a "chaos" that occurs in the meta when there is a skill update. You also mentioned a "20%" rule. I'd love to hear your philosophy behind your 20% rule. In Guild Wars, I think there was a lot of chaos, because of the huge number of skills. However, a lot of skills were outside of the "20%" meta which sounded like you wanted to be the most viable skills. The damage over 120 (per second?) being logged. Potential solutions to the "defense wins games" theory. Etc.

@Isaiah Cartwright.8569

Cheers.

Archived