Dragonhunter: how much crit for fractals?

eaman.7562

I'd like to bring my DH in T4 fractals, while looking at the meta build, which is all zerk, it states: "You can swap some zerk for Valkrie gear". Cool but how much?Ret is + 50% crit, fury is 20%, hitting a burning target is +10%, then there's ~11% from potion. Not counting food or utilities.

So what is a good balance: how much +crit or vitality should I bring? Maybe some toughness as well?I'm going to use GS and scepter + torch, radiance + zeal. I'm going to have a chrono + druid (so there should be at least spotter, maybe a banner of discipline).

Keep in mind that you might not have a perfect composition sometimes, so you would actually lose DPS in these cases. Also, depending on Mesmer, you might not have 100% uptime on Retaliation.

I run 100% berserk stats build and I have no problem with survivability (I only run on PUGs). But if you want, you can use the editor to adjust the amount of stats you want. I made a simulation based on what you said (Ret +50%, fury +20%, +10% on burning, +11% from potion = 91%, so you need ~+9%):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7PWiHM59X/bBaVCyXRqqAQDoeB-jFSBQBUSVFRq87K7PwIlgP4iAYJ1KAwTAQP6GIFQET2A-w

This build will only work with 100% retaliation, fury and burning uptime.

I do not recomend to use toughness stats because there is no POWER (primary) / toughness (secondary) / ferocity (secondary) combination, so you would actually lose DPS on Cavalier (TOUGHNESS/power/ferocity) even with symbolic avenger trait.

Also, if you are the only source of retaliation you can run Virtues instead of Zeal and lose no DPS for a lot of utility because Virtues allows a lot more retaliation uptime (this on a full berserk build, might need to be adjusted for specific group composition).

Overall, I recomend a full berserk build since it can work in any group composition. If you have survivability problems you can make some valkyrie and slowly change to berserk until used to DH.

Thanks for the detailed post.So no toughness, that's clear.

Still it seems to me a lot of waste precision on a full zerk set, while 11k hp may be much more of a problem in a not perfect group. Which is not my purpose: if I should miss some support I would swap to that or bring a scourge.I'm still confused, I guess that if I have to throw a number in the air I'll start with ~35% or 40% crit so I can use it with more confidence with scepter and bow in openworld, rest valk. GS in val and scepter + torch / bow in zerk. That should give me something like 15.2k HP with GS in melee while being optimized for outside of the mist (no potion). In the mist I could wear a couple pieces more of valk.

Dho I guess that ~15.5K HP with some aegis, F3 and F2 should suffice, thanks.

Another good reason not to use toughness I would say is because you are not trying to tank (and I hope this advice serves you in areas other than fractals). Remember that toughness also affects how much aggro you draw from monsters. As most people will be running zero toughness builds even a little is suddenly going to make you a high priority target, actually lowering your survivability in many group situations, as you are suddenly the sole focus of attention. So tldr vitality to give a bit more survivability, toughness is a bit more of an all in stat to go tanking.

Archived