FPS lowers every few minutes

I'm not sure if anyone would have any advice for me but my game recently started turning into a slideshow every few minutes. The FPS will drop and the screen will be frame by frame and after about 20 seconds of this it speeds back up and returns to normal. This is something that happened at the beginning of the year and I contacted support about it. They said it was probably my computer or internet but both work fine for other games. Weirdly the issue seemed to fix itself in a few weeks when it happened earlier in the year so I never learned what the real cause was. Has anyone experienced something similar or know what the issue could possibly be? Thanks!

Your CPU is probably overheating and throttling its speed to get rid of the heat. Depending on your CPU, a different temperature can cause that. My FX-8350 for example starts throttling at roughly 60°C/140°F. I can recommend downloading OpenHardwareMonitor to monitor your CPU over time to see what the maximum temperature you're getting is. When the game slows down, switch to OHW and check the CPU frequency. If it's much lower than usual, it is trying to lose heat.

It's usually heat if the FPS drops are irregular but consistently reappearing and sometimes go away for a short time only to return later. It lets your CPU perform at a much lower level than usual, causing it to be able to run something smoothly and then suddenly fail to perform the same task for a while.

While some games don't use all of your CPU to run well, Guild Wars 2 at least for me will always try to use everything it can and I get performance issues as soon as I turn additional case cooling off.

Archived