FPS drops

Chiara.9827

So, this happened.I was playing just fine, yesterday, until I lost my connection and went alt+f4 to close gw2.After that, I restarted the game and since then I've been experiencing HUGE FPS drops, even freezes, everywhere, with every graphical setting.

I had already experienced a similar issue this summer, but I don't remember how I solved it, guess it solved itself with an update to the game.

Things I tried:Lowering mouse polling rateDisabling DPI scalingDeleting gw2 cache

Deleting local.dat This step helped a lot, but it still didn't solve the issue

Any ideas?

FPS stuff is the most arbitrary and frustrating to deal with. I got the biggest performance boosts out of these:

• made sure that my graphics card was set to best performance (not appearance, not power efficiency or whatever)
  • GW2.exe properties -> compatibility -> disable fullscreen optimizations (I think this was fixed but I never turned this off) and also the "change high DPI settings" -> override checked, which is probably what you referred to
  • also deleted gw2 cache
  • in-game gains: character model stuff set to low/low, shaders to low, effect LOD on, native rendering, unlimited framerate
  • Weirdest fix: in advanced power options I had to set the maximum processor state to 99% instead of 100% - this completely fixed my issue of going from 80 FPS to 15 FPS every x number of seconds.

With all of this, there are still times when my FPS drops to 30 and nothing budges it. I reboot, sometimes twice, and it's back to normal. Something about Windows 10 is taking away resources from the exe and giving them to, like, Chrome or another prog and then refuses to free it up.

@"LowestTruth.2635" said:FPS stuff is the most arbitrary and frustrating to deal with. I got the biggest performance boosts out of these:

• made sure that my graphics card was set to best performance (not appearance, not power efficiency or whatever)
  • GW2.exe properties -> compatibility -> disable fullscreen optimizations (I think this was fixed but I never turned this off) and also the "change high DPI settings" -> override checked, which is probably what you referred to
  • also deleted gw2 cache
  • in-game gains: character model stuff set to low/low, shaders to low, effect LOD on, native rendering, unlimited framerate
  • Weirdest fix: in advanced power options I had to set the maximum processor state to 99% instead of 100% - this completely fixed my issue of going from 80 FPS to 15 FPS every x number of seconds.

With all of this, there are still times when my FPS drops to 30 and nothing budges it. I reboot, sometimes twice, and it's back to normal. Something about Windows 10 is taking away resources from the exe and giving them to, like, Chrome or another prog and then refuses to free it up.

I hate Windows 10 with a passion.

I forgot to mention - I have a "gaming" laptop (they're never really designed for gaming), so some of the above is not applicable. I chased the FPS/performance rabbit through Google yesterday just out of curiosity and I experimented with undervolting last night using ThrottleStop and got a ginormous boost. Just putting it out there.