Do you feel lucky

pfandersen.3269

I think one of the main issues is that sPvP balancing for Mesmer doesn't translate well for what the class has to deal with in WvW. Firstly, there's so much stray AoE to deal with that damage generation for Mesmer in WvW is, at times, utterly grueling. The individual effects of each shatter have been incrementally nerfed whilst the nature of WvW remains identical resulting in a rather ineffective class mechanic in this game mode. 

Secondly, survivability nerfs through the eye of sPvP are quite problematic for the class in WvW. The removal of 50% endurance for Mirage in particular is a bit of a disaster in WvW bearing in mind how threats in the game mode present. Being able to sit on point and dodge away whilst not interrupting any other casting is certainly powerful and problematic in sPvP, but for WvW that's meaningless and it's arguably as beneficial to have a conventional dodge that moves you out of the highly damaging AoE of 20+ players then simply sitting there to instantly pop when the evade frame ends. So the -50% endurance reduction isn't really a trade-off in WvW so much as just flat out imbalanced. Of course you can use that superspeed on your one dodge to move forward...into the probable melee train of those +20 players hungry for your flesh, but you probably don't want that (I assume). Or, you could burn cooldowns to get out of there (what you'll likely do I hope) in addition to using your one dodge, but then of course you've expended all your endurance and a cooldown whereas other classes still have +50% endurance still and haven't likely expended a cooldown. Of course I'm describing a highly simplified scenario here and dispensed with nuance (uh oh) but, for someone who also plays Thief and Soulbeast, the survivability disparity when I'm taking Mirage for a whirl is pretty stark.

I certainly understand it's easier to just have PvE balance and sPvP/WvW balance, but there is always going to be some losers with such a balance division and I think Mesmer is sadly one of those.

I do still love Mesmer though and triple sword shatter Mes is a kitten stylish thing to play in WvW 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1