Please Don't Forget Normal Mapping and Rim Lighting

I hope when ANET splits the Shader option that they also include normal maps and fresnel rim lighting as individual options. Those two are only available on High setting, but I do not care for the way fresnel lighting makes everyone look like shiny ghosts, so Medium I stick with. The news post only mentioned, "bloom, color grading, color tint, distortion, light rays, and selection outline," so I post this for the sake of assuring all shader options become available.

If I may be a bit anecdotal, I am also rather confused why those two effects are locked behind High. They have not been historically expensive effects, except maybe when they were first introduced in the gaming space. It's distortion and light rays and outlines that I've seen tank performance in other games. Very peculiar.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, guess we still can't have something as simple as bump mapping without having to deal with that illogical fresnel light. Guess we're never getting that unless they decide to change graphics things again next year.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2