Champion's Online Hideouts (Player Homesteads)

So everyone is talking Player Housing now with the new trailer and news post and a lot of people are very concerned that this is going to just end up being a bunch of cookie-cutter instances with minimal modifications that won't really amount to much. I know, because I'm one of them. To that end though I want to bring attention to another instance where player housing was done fairly well: Champion's Online

CO, being a Super Hero MMO, has Hideouts. Same thing, different name. While the game itself isn't much to write home about the hideouts did do something VERY well: Options. As you can see here CO didn't have a lot of hideouts to choose from. What it lacked in variety though it made up for in customization. Every hideout had a static floor plan to them but the cosmetics could be changed to suit however you wanted your hideout to look. Change the floors, change the walls, change the ceiling. Change the windows, change the furniture, change the fixtures. Even some of them had lighting or animations that could be selected or toggled. And every hideout was different.

I bring up this because this is a real opportunity for Anet. If you're going to do player housing, players are going to NEED to be able to customize it, intimately, or else they're not going to care. This is, by and large, not going to be hard. We're talking textures for the most part, maybe a few sets of models. More importantly though there is a financial opportunity here. Just like there were a handful of hideouts that CO offered to buy you could be selling different floor plans of houses to add variety and customization. It would give a reason to visit other players homesteads knowing that when you show up it won't be a carbon copy of your own homestead. You sell different mounts. You sell different skiffs. Houses should be no different. If you want this to succeed, give us options.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 9:33 PM, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

a lot of people are very concerned that this is going to just end up being a bunch of cookie-cutter instances with minimal modifications that won't really amount to much

That's exactly what will be, vanilla home instance with baby Guild Hall features.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1