Secrets of the Obscure Softlock - Commander without a Cause

On 8/21/2024 at 11:15 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thanks to all of you for raising this issue and for sharing the workarounds! I'm sorry this is happening and wanted to let you know that I've passed this on to people so they can start looking into it!

Yes the workaround is successful, but for those of us who want to complete the "A Shadow in the Night" achievement (sneak through the camp without being caught), the workaround automatically means you fail this achievement. I've gone through this story step about 15 times on two different characters now, and have never been able to trigger the "investigate the horn" step even though I fill up the investigation bar every time. A lot of people don't care about achievements, but for those of us that do, a bug like this is extremely frustrating - especially when it ought to be a very simple achievement to get!  😡

On 8/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, MrLores.2961 said:

During "Commander without a Cause", after filling out the "Investigate the camp for information" objective, the quest softlocks. Arina comes up to the horn and is supposed to sound it, but nothing happens instead and she just stands there. The same happens if the timer runs out before all the information is investigated. Me and my friends tried to do the quest multiple times and it always ends in a softlock.

Edit: I found a temporary workaround.

If you're facing this issue, here's what you need to do to push the quest forward.

1. Enter the instance
  2. Proceed through the quest until you have approached the camp and eavesdropped the conversation
  3. Wait 7 minutes for the hunting party to leave (the timer gets visible only when 2 minutes are left)
  4. (Important) Do not pick up the disguise at any point
  5. Wait for Arina to come close to the horn and make sure she stands still
  6. Walk into her detection cone. She will draw her weapon at you, making her reset her script
  7. After you're booted out of the camp, the quest will progress

Just so you know @MrLores.2961, Arenanet is using your workaround as an official answer to the tickets...no further comment....

On 8/20/2024 at 11:36 PM, KazuhiroH.7309 said:

Bumping this issue, its the first mission of the expansion... I had just gotten SotO today.

I went to replay the story and was frustrated, can imagine how annoyed you are. I am really sorry that your experience is ruined, hopefully you'll stick around past it.

On 8/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, MrLores.2961 said:

During "Commander without a Cause", after filling out the "Investigate the camp for information" objective, the quest softlocks. Arina comes up to the horn and is supposed to sound it, but nothing happens instead and she just stands there. The same happens if the timer runs out before all the information is investigated. Me and my friends tried to do the quest multiple times and it always ends in a softlock.

Edit: I found a temporary workaround.

If you're facing this issue, here's what you need to do to push the quest forward.

1. Enter the instance
  2. Proceed through the quest until you have approached the camp and eavesdropped the conversation
  3. Wait 7 minutes for the hunting party to leave (the timer gets visible only when 2 minutes are left)
  4. (Important) Do not pick up the disguise at any point
  5. Wait for Arina to come close to the horn and make sure she stands still
  6. Walk into her detection cone. She will draw her weapon at you, making her reset her script
  7. After you're booted out of the camp, the quest will progress

Thanks for the workaround - that did the trick.

Having the same issue still, really annoying. Was gonna return and do Soto before buying Janthir, having this bug right in the first mission... yea I'm not buying anything for this game till this gets fixed because this is just embarrassing. 

My brother completed this mission earlier with no problems (couple of weeks). However, I've noticed glitches not only in this mission but the Black Lion Trade Currency--all happening since release of Janthir Wilds. Wonder if the release is affecting other parts of GW2.