Matchmaking Complaint

Gandarel.5091

Just like pretty much everything else. Post-PoF GW2 has the worst PvP balance I have ever witnessed, to the point where people can get carried by their spec several divisions higher than where they belong, completely messing up matchmaking. At this point you may just remove it entirely.

The balance team should be working to deliver the best experience possible and grow the playerbase through that. Instead it seems like they have no confidence in their work and just make everything overtuned to sell the expansion, not caring whether those people will stick around for the next one or not.

It's sad to see them killing the game for short term gains.

I think you are overly harsh. Right now imo other than revs getting the short end of the stick most classes are totally playable and really no one class is totally broken. There are some builds that's better at carrying a match full of bad players than others but that's not really game breaking.

@Mogar.9216 said:I think you are overly harsh. Right now imo other than revs getting the short end of the stick most classes are totally playable and really no one class is totally broken. There are some builds that's better at carrying a match full of bad players than others but that's not really game breaking.

Most of the classes (save guardian) have some issues that need to be dealt with. Some e-specs need to be revisited (herald, scrapper, renegade), others need to be tapped down (scourge, firebrand, spellbreaker). Some of the core classes are also aging really poorly (engineer is fine in PvE, but core engineer in PvP is all kinds of not fun).

Overall, if the difference between the S-tier, A-tier, and B-tier builds could be smoothed out, I think we would see a healthier matchmaking system overall, as player skill would shine more than just the class or the build.

@Mogar.9216 said:I think you are overly harsh. Right now imo other than revs getting the short end of the stick most classes are totally playable and really no one class is totally broken. There are some builds that's better at carrying a match full of bad players than others but that's not really game breaking.

I think what OP meant was there are people even in Plat 2 and above who don't even know how to rotate or use the terrain to their advantage. Obviously the biggest offenders would be scourges as they can mostly plow their way from bronze to plat 1 just by spamming shades.

From time to time you'd see:

• Thieves staying in mid team fights instead of decapping.
  • Scourges running to Far point alone and gets rekt by people who actually know how to fight them.
  • Support FBs getting stalled fighting 1v1 in a side node (and his teammates not helping +1 him so the FB can leave and join a team fight).
  • Mesmers who don't know when to drop and pop a portal.
  • People entering/not entering mesmer ports when needed.
  • People who're used to destroying every class in bronze/silver with the sheer power of the spec. When they get matched with players from high gold - high plat range, they meet players that know how to counter them but they end up fighting instead because they have no idea of their matchup advantage and disadvantages.
  • People not using the terrain to take advantage of Line of Sight blocking.
  • People who are convinced they're supposed to fight to the death inside a cap point. They know they will die but stay in the cap point not realizing that aside from eventually losing the cap, they're giving their opponents free kill points. They're so fixated staying inside the point that they forget that the goal is to prevent a full cap, not stand in it all the time.

Theoretically speaking, these are some of the most common knowledge people should know by the time they reach plat. Sure, from time to time I'd also forget to look at the map and make mistakes. I myself don't know all of the class specific basics like in what scenarios it is not worth doing a +1 or doing a full cap as a thief or when you should drop and pop portals as a mesmer but if you're actually playing the said classes a lot, you should at least know these.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Most of the classes (save guardian) have some issues that need to be dealt with. Some e-specs need to be revisited (herald, scrapper, renegade), others need to be tapped down (scourge, firebrand, spellbreaker). Some of the core classes are also aging really poorly (engineer is fine in PvE, but core engineer in PvP is all kinds of not fun).

Overall, if the difference between the S-tier, A-tier, and B-tier builds could be smoothed out, I think we would see a healthier matchmaking system overall, as player skill would shine more than just the class or the build.

I agree there are a lot of useless and dead specs out there. That's always the case with any pvp game though. Right now other than Ravs , you can find at least 1 competitive build no matter what class. Match making issue imo has more to do with the fact mmr is not really a very accurate indicator for player skill. MMR does the job on a large scale. I am pretty confident that any plat 2 player is better than any gold 2 player but compare a plat 1 to a gold 2? I'm no so sure the plat 1 will be the better player every time.

Archived