How can we do better?

bladezero.9470

Playing in between Metas truly reveals how bad this community is at learning map awareness and rotations. It shouldn't be that only plats understand strategies involved with conquest (even in that tier it is questionable). The best I can conclude is that good players only come with time, usually a couple thousand matches, and most of the population never gets anywhere close to that number. As a result, the quality of the game mode in general suffers with bad play across the board. I would bet that 80% of PvP players don't even understand how the scoring system works.

I'm aiming here to have a discussion on how we can do better. How do we teach the masses how to actually play PvP? Are there any decent streamers or analysts that can teach? Maybe those streamers could break it down and do a few lesson once a week as a sort of workshop. All I see at the moment is Epeen solo 1 v 1 spec videos and garbage that doesn't improve anything at all.

I understand that GW2 PvP will never enjoy high population or be as balanced as it needs to be for some of these problems to disappear, I understand that there is match manipulation and reward farmers, but I have to believe that still a majority of PvP players play it for the same reason that I do, a love of the game mode. Surely we can do better....

This is why most games just stick to TDM or CTF. It's easy to pick up and understand, which helps appeal to a wider audience. The lack of balance isn't why PvP is unpopular; it's just because of the mode itself and how it's designed.

Just like the population difference between WoW arenas and RBGs, I guarantee you if they put out a 2v2 or 3v3 arena mode and gave it its own queue and good rewards, it would be substantially more popular than Conquest.

I've just heard the statement "I like PvP but don't like Conquest" far too many times from WvW players to not see the lack of game mode variety the biggest issue this game faces.

People just aren't invested in Conquest, and you're never going to make them invested because they're playing more for the rewards than for fun. Make a fun mode and the investment will come with it.

Archived