Soothing Bastion changes

Theo Mcknight.4169

Good morning,

While looking over different build plans for a healing revenant I noticed that soothing bastion says it increases boon duration after using a shield skill while in reality it does nothing of the sort. It actually just adds 2 seconds to your current boons.

So in my mind, having soothing bastion boost your boon duration or grant concentration would be highly useful for Herald healers and give them a real option with value in the final trait tier while not affecting the damage trait already there. Personal boon stacks arent that important to the revenant but outgoing are highly important. However, I don't PvP a lot so I'm not certain if this skill is used in its current form by PvP heralds though I doubt it.

Tldr I'd like to see the trait match the tooltip

Unfortunately it's probably better as it stands. Herald doesn't have much difficulty capping out on Boon duration due to Envoy of Sustenance and access to Facet of Nature. Between those and a sigil of concentration, assuming you Legend swap on cooldown, hitting the 100% cap is something that's easy for Herald (Renegade has to work a bit harder for it).

AFAIK Soothing Bastion adds +2 seconds to all boon stacks on its targets whether the Herald applied them or not. This is important in party PvE because it also includes boons not applied by the Herald themselves.

Yeah, the wording is confusing, but I agree with Lagos that it should stay as is because that would nullify half the point of the trait if you already had capped boon duration (the minor already gives concentration anyways). It also has some nice niche uses, like for example if you have a short bit of Resistance applied to you, you can effectively increase it by 4 seconds, which is more than a bit of boon duration could get you.

HOWEVER, something I find incredibly irritating about the trait is that when using Crystal Hibernation, it does not extend the boons' durations until after the skill has fully channeled. As in, you have to wait 3 seconds for a 2 second boon duration increase. I find this very clunky and poorly implemented. Weapon skills have both a cooldown and energy cost, so if you choose to cancel it early, you are still spending the energy and putting it on cooldown. It should apply immediately upon use, as soon as the energy is taken. With Shield 4 it's not as awkward because it's a shorter cast time.

Archived