How would you explain Build Theory Crafting to someone new?

KaruRadiox.1924

Hi! I'm currently compiling a lot of information about the game to help new players learn and improve with readily available information rather than trying to work it out on their own. One of the biggest roadblocks for new players is the wonderfully customizable Build system.Just for clarity, When I say build I'm referring to the entirety of someone's gear and spec set, not just the spec set alone.Anyway, while I understand how to theory craft builds with the editor, I'm fairly bad at explaining things. So, I'd like to ask if anyone can explain how to make and edit builds to eventually make the "perfect" playstyle they're trying to design. Please? :D

It all depends on content where you want to use certain build.

In pve for example it's all about damage. If enemy is dead before it can do any significant damage to you, you dont need any defenses. In order to achieve good damage you need weapon set, gear stats, traits and utility skills that scale well with your damage type (direct/condition). You also need to have some flexibility in your build when it comes to melee/ranged damage, crowd control, condi cleanse or even some group support in form of offensive buffs (these are optional and depend on encounter itself, but it's very good to know what your class is capable of).

Build crafting is not something you can teach, that's something that people need to realize for themselves. For example, if you use condi weapon in a full power build, you should probably figure out that damage is just not there and something needs to change. It's not even expected from new players to know that, but you cant learn until you try all skills and understand all traits of main class.

Archived