Matchmaking and Arenanet's Perspective Problem

Huskyboy.1053

This is a NA perspective

A common gripe many of us have, especially high-tier players, is that we receive little rating for wins and lose more for losses. An example would be this match, where I grossly outperformed my team.

The matchmaking algorithm evaluates us based on whether we succeeded, as well as how strong our opponents were versus our teammates. This is how employers think about their employees; you pay employees more if they are successful at their jobs and if they have rarer or stronger skillsets as compared to your other employees. The problem there is that we don't play in order to be evaluated based on our individual performance relative to the other team, we're looking to have fun with evenly-matched games. The fact that I grossly outperformed my team and opponents indicates that I do NOT belong at this level of play and should be elevated out of it quickly. It is not enjoyable to play with a thief (he will remain unnamed) who thinks that he needs to cleave an engi who was downed off-point. He even shadowstep-stomped the dude, wasting a valuable cooldown, while I was standing right next to him, perfectly capable of stomping or bleeding the downed engi. That's the kind of mistake I haven't made for over a year, this thief does not belong in my matches and I don't belong in his.

My solution is to switch from a "win little, lose big" philosophy to a "win the same lose the same" model. You win? 10 points. You lose? -10 points. Better players will inevitably have a higher win rate than worse players, so inevitably there would be a larger rating gap in my model than in the existing model, which essentially prohibits significant rating gain at high levels. Any of the long-time sPvP veterans who still log on aren't looking for games like mine, where I stomped all over the enemy team without effort. We're looking for quality matches, and that means playing against each other. The ATs are a huge improvement, and thank you very much for those! But the Ranked algorithm still needs work. I play against top players like Moobs, Helio, and Naru in daily ATs pretty much everyday, yet I rarely see them in ranked queues (I'm usually Plat 2). Ranked has lost its allure for many of them; mechanically and strategically the game is basically the same, but the system behind it doesn't promote fun games. ATs shouldn't be the only way we can get fun games.

I could post screenshots of me getting all the top stats in close matches on a dps build and I am supposed to believe I am getting put with people all my skill level? Also, I frequently lose matches with 4 to 1 or greater kills to death ratios because I get stuck with people that can't do anything if Im not with them. The main problem to me is there is still too wide of allowable MMR range in matches and completely new players starting out at 1200 MMR (why not start them out at whatever the lowest bronze MMR is?) allowing some really bad players to get lucky and fluke there way up to 1400-1500 MMR range where they will be able to bedevil people as high up as 1600+ MMR if the queue is small enough.

Archived