delete

Blue.1207

Given we can turn $ into gold using the in-game system, it seems weird that RMT exists in GW2. My initial thought is that it exists because RMTs sell gold cheaper than the exchange(as a result of the demand of $ being higher than the demand for gems), but I'm certainly not an economist. I'd think increasing the utility of gems would reduce the amount of RMT, though.

I strongly disagreed with the decision to make gen 2 legendaries unsellable, so, obviously, I would oppose applying this change to gen 1 legendaries. I think that players paying real money for a legendary over making it themselves suggests that, perhaps, the method of making the legendary is poorly thought out.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:Given we can turn $ into gold using the in-game system, it seems weird that RMT exists in GW2. My initial thought is that it exists because RMTs sell gold cheaper than the exchange(as a result of the demand of $ being higher than the demand for gems), but I'm certainly not an economist. I'd think increasing the utility of gems would reduce the amount of RMT, though.

Yeah, that'd be the most common reason for it. The other thing they can do is directly sell items that are not gold. The existence of the gem to gold conversion does significantly reduce the amount of RMT, or at least, it did for Blizzard in WoW when they made it a thing, by their reports.

Of course, most of that cheap gold is gem=>gold with stolen credit cards, or lifted from compromised accounts...

Archived