Trying to get back in the game but.....

So I log into the game for the first time in years and I can't see my mouse. Before it comes up, I don't have mouse trails enabled etc.. The only workable solution is to set it to borderless window. The problem here is that I can't set the resolution and I have a 4k display. A GTX 1080 isn't good enough for 4k, I don't care what the adds say, everything runs better at 2k and generally looks better as well. So, now in order to see my mouse pointer and play in full screen I'm having to overwork my hardware and get sub-par quality....

Oh, but it gets better. The UI with DPI scaling on is too large with the chat window in an obnoxious location and the minimap too small etc., but if I set the UI size to largest and turn it off, everything is too tiny to see. Yeah....

@Mordeth Kai.9460 said:A GTX 1080 isn't good enough for 4k

A plain one or a 1080 Ti? I have a Ti and it works - and looks - just fine on 4K with full Ultra graphics. (For sure, behind it there's an i7-7820X and a big pile of 3000MHz DDR4, but it works just fine.)

That said, going from 1080p to 4K did halve my frame rates, but only half, not a quarter. That reminds me, I must try Nier:Automata again on 4K.

And when I installed the 4K monitor, GW2 worked out the right size to display the pointer (i.e. twice as pixel-big as before), unlike SWTOR, whose default pointer is catastrophically tiny on a 4K screen.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:There are options for DPI scaling in the 'Options' part of the UI.If you are having trouble loading the game, perhaps the '-windowed' command line argument would be helpful.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Good luck.

Well, the DPI scaling is just a toggle, not something that can be adjusted. The game has borderless window built in, the problem is that you can't set the resolution if you use it.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Mordeth Kai.9460 said:A GTX 1080 isn't good enough for 4k

A plain one or a 1080 Ti? I have a Ti and it works - and looks - just fine on 4K with full Ultra graphics. (For sure, behind it there's an i7-7820X and a big pile of 3000MHz DDR4, but it works just fine.)

That said, going from 1080p to 4K
did
halve my frame rates, but only half, not a quarter. That reminds me, I must try Nier:Automata again on 4K.

And when I installed the 4K monitor, GW2 worked out the right size to display the pointer (i.e. twice as pixel-big as before), unlike SWTOR, whose default pointer is catastrophically tiny on a 4K screen.

Regular 1080. Technically it can run the game at 4k, but it overworks the card, and as you said, you lose frames. Experimenting with other games I've learned that things are just more responsive when the resolution is turned down.

Archived