Sunspears of Britannia??

Rauderi.8706

Very minor spoiler ahead, but fair warning.Also some tongue-in-cheek snark. :)

So, somewhere in Chapter 2, we get to see a little bit of background for the Sunspears. Not having played GW1, I found myself mostly annoyed by the utter lack of conveyance in the puzzle and whatnot. Anyway, it's oriented around the Eight Virtues of the Sunspear. Some of the remnants in the Mists even test you on them.

But where have I heard that before? Eight Virtues? Moral quandaries that determine your fitness as a paragon of morality, an ... Avatar, if you will?

I couldn't help but giggle when I saw what I assume is a tribute to the old Ultima games. :+1:

@Chadramar.8156 said:Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a "wait a minute" moment there. The Ultima series (at least IV to VII.5) was my first big love in gaming, and still remains among my favourites. Silly Sunspears ripped it off and changed Spirituality to Loyalty to make it a teeny tiny bit less obvious? ;)

Bah, Spirituality was always a What the Huh virtue anyway. XDI almost didn't notice it there among the Honesty, Valor, Honor, etc. :wink:

I remember the days of memorizing those moral conflicts, and even using them on my players in tabletop gaming. :grin:

I looked at the virtues and had that "wait a minute" moment, because the parallels were so obvious but at the same time I couldn't imagine they'd rip them off 100%, so I had a second look and found the odd one out. It kind of amused me that the non-theistic original Eight Virtues included Spirituality, but the Sunspear ripoff despite apparently very much being a religious cult does not.

And now I'm all nostalgic.

Archived